Thread: Windows Vista problems: Unable to install SP1; Stuck in endless reboot cycle

Xtreme Member

Windows Vista problems: Unable to install SP1; Stuck in endless reboot cycle

I recently installed Vista on my gaming rig.
    I tried to upgrade to SP1, both using the Windows Update mechanism and by manually downloading the update & running the executable, but none of these methods worked. I don't really know why as all I get are some cryptic error messages. I read the help messages which basically said: "remove old update files & try again". That didn't help.

After the last try the OS seems to be stuck in an endless reboot cycle, that is the OS reboots itself a few second after it has started. Safe mode and "use last known good configuration" causes the OS to reboot too.
    I finally got the OS to stop rebooting itself by quickly running "msconfig" and disabling all services, which actually made the OS reasonably fast and responsive, but also totally unusable.

I have tried googling for solutions to these problems, but I have not found any useful solutions. Please help me.

Also, I have barely used the OS (have only installed drivers + a few small tools + a single game) so I doubt the problems where cause by third party software.

Xtreme Cruncher
    If you have your system backed up I would reformat your HDD and try again. Otherwise I have no clue. Sounds like a corrupt file somewhere.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    If you have your system backed up I would reformat your HDD and try again. Otherwise I have no clue. Sounds like a corrupt file somewhere.
    I'd rather not do that since then I will be using up yet another activation for both OS and the game.

I am Xtreme
    you should of made a disc with vlite and put the sp1 integrated into the dvd.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Member
    Yes, I guess that would have been better.

I tried enabling/disabling services in hope of narrowing it down to a single service. That almost worked; I managed prevent the system from rebooting automatically, now it only rebooted when I started an application. Then I gave up and reinstalled the OS.

Vista is truly a horrible OS when it comes up updating it; It litterally takes hours, countless reboots and way too much manual interaction to get it fully patched. I really wish that Wine and ReactOS would progress faster so that I could ditch Microsofts OS:es completely soon.

Xtreme Cruncher
    actually with Vista all you ahve to do is call them and sometimes it takes a while to get a new one but I have done it several times with both xp and vista

But other then that i say good luck to you kid lol i dont know why it is doing that. Have you tried microsofts thread website?
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Use the System restore , and roll back to before the update , or have you tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Swizz View Post
    Vista is truly a horrible OS when it comes up updating it; It litterally takes hours, countless reboots and way too much manual interaction to get it fully patched..
    This is untrue Sp1 has most of the updates leaving only a dozen or so , with 1 reboot afterwards , you could try Sp2 beta and do it all in one install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Swizz View Post
    I really wish that Wine and ReactOS would progress faster so that I could ditch Microsofts OS:es completely soon
    This is unhelpful.
    Last edited by Papu; 01-08-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papu View Post
    Use the System restore , and roll back to before the update , or have you tried?
    SP1 failed to install and thus no new rollback point was created.

This is untrue Sp1 has most of the updates leaving only a dozen or so , with 1 reboot afterwards , you could try Sp2 beta and do it all in one install.
    It is indeed true; The SP1 update was is not available to until I had installed numerous other updates.

This is unhelpful.
    unhelpful?