Thread: Cdfs To Ntfs

Banned

Cdfs To Ntfs

right i have a customer, she has her late husbands photo's on disc....

the problem is that these were created using windows 95 or 98....

this means thay are in cdfs format and cannot be read by her new computer which is running windows xp.....

i would like to convert these files for her... after gooling this problem i have come to the conclusion that using an os such as windows 2000(which can use both file systems) i will be able to save and then re-copy the files using ntfs....

i would appreciate your advice on this matter...

thanks in advance....

Xtreme Cruncher
    So i always thought CDFS was the file system used for any non-rewritable cd... and it is (at least according to wikipedia) fully compatible with Windows XP.
    also CDFS= ISO9660 unless we are talking linux...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Operating system support

Most operating systems support reading of ISO 9660 formatted discs, and most new versions support the extensions such as Rock Ridge and Joliet. Operating systems that do not support the extensions usually show the basic (non-extended) features of a plain ISO 9660 disc.
    Here are some operating systems and their support for ISO 9660 and extensions:
    DOS: access with extensions, such as MSCDEX.EXE (Microsoft CDROM Extension) or CORELCD.EXE
    Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME: can read ISO 9660 Level 1, 2, 3, and Joliet
    Microsoft Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP can read ISO 9660 Level 1, 2, 3, Joliet, and ISO 9660:1999
    Linux and BSD: ISO 9660 Level 1, 2, 3, Joliet, Rock Ridge, and ISO 9660:1999
    GS/OS: ISO Level 1 and 2 support via the HS.FST File System Translator. [6]
    Mac OS 7 to 9: ISO Level 1, 2. Optional free software supports Rock Ridge and Joliet (including ISO Level 3): Joke Ridge and Joliet Volume Access.
    Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther, 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard: ISO Level 1, 2, Joliet and Rock Ridge Extensions. Level 3 is not currently supported, although users have been able to mount these disks: [1]
    AmigaOS supports the "AS" extensions (which preserve the Amiga protection bits and file comments)
    That being said have you tried the disk in anything other than her machine? are you sure the disk is good? what speed is the disk? are you entirely certain her CD drive is operational?
    Black Ultra Aluminus case
    Intel Q6600 @3.6ghz
    Abit IP35 Pro
    4GB Corsair XMS2
    XFX Radeon 5770
    1TB Samsung F3 (boot)
    Windows 7 Pro
    Watercooling: Swiftech GTZ, 320QP with yates, D5 and Black PrimoFlex LRT tubing

6+ years and still running strong!! Not the most Xtreme anymore, but ya gotta do what the budget says ya gotta do!

Banned
    thankyou for your prompt reply, i apologise for the late update....
    the cd has been tried in other pc's with the same result...

i am left thinking about the speed of the disc... i need to research this, although if you have any info on the incompatabilities regarding this i would greatly appreciate the insight...

thankyou,

regards pure...

Xtreme Member
    Although incompatibilities exist they are somewhat rare.
    Also it could be that the disc is of poor quality and has deteriorated and now is unreadable.