Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Core i5 Performance

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Intel is smart, sell as much i7 as possible till Q3 2009 and only then release i5 If you crave nehalem no point waiting really. I highly doubt i5 will have much higher clocks, if it did then it would be worth
    The point of i5 is basicly price and size. I think mATX will be the new norm with i5. Plus the boards gonna be very cheap as you can also imagine from the prototype one. However it does restrict abit as in 2 x8 or 1 x16 only. But we can just aswell get used to that.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    8 via hypertheading
    Opps! Yes 4 cores, 8 threads, thanks for pointing that out!
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    Yes and no. You're running at 2.4GHz stock and this CPU is 2.13GHz so clock for clock your CPU is probably still a bit slower. Also the i5 has 4 cores (via hyperthreading) where you only have 2.

interesting.. so is there any specific reason one would ditch the e4600 and get the corei5 ? i mean what are the improvements. ??

Banned
    Good to know whats on the horizon, but i5 seems less like an upgrade than i7 does.

Quote Originally Posted by saveus222 View Post
    interesting.. so is there any specific reason one would ditch the e4600 and get the corei5 ? i mean what are the improvements. ??
    Plenty... its all depends on the enduser though. Do you need 4 cores? Do you render/encode video, etc etc. Not to mention clock per clock it is more powerful and more efficient.

Xtreme Guru
    So it's i5, I wonder why it's not i6 though, higher is better for marketing unless there's space left between for future (lowend die shrinked chip for instance). I have no problem with it being dual channel, makes it easier for me to pick RAM => 2x2GB. So what are the planned SKU's for i5 you think, what will be the highest clocked part at launch? 3GHz? Don't tell me all will be so low clocked like this ES here. I want at least a 3.8GHz clock to satisfy from upgrading from a C2D CPU and I don't expect these low clocked SKUs like this ES to reach that (on air 24/7 stable).
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saveus222 View Post
    Hmmm, have you not read the specifications of i5 ?
    We 're talking about a quad core processor which means in case you mess with video editing, rendering and generally multi-threaded applications (or if you play GTA IV the worst game ever optimizing-wise ), then you are going to be glad for that upgrade

Higher performance, with less wattage than kentsfields/yorkfields ...

Greater clock per clock performance

I'm out ...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    So it's i5, I wonder why it's not i6 though, higher is better for marketing unless there's space left between for future (lowend die shrinked chip for instance). I have no problem with it being dual channel, makes it easier for me to pick RAM => 2x2GB. So what are the planned SKU's for i5 you think, what will be the highest clocked part at launch? 3GHz? Don't tell me all will be so low clocked like this ES here. I want at least a 3.8GHz clock to satisfy from upgrading from a C2D CPU and I don't expect these low clocked SKUs like this ES to reach that (on air 24/7 stable).
    Not 3Ghz at launch i think. but something like 2.83Ghz should be fairly sure. At at sub 300$ for the "top bin" i5.

Perhaps 32nm will be i6, i8 etc?

xtreme energy
    Now the question is do you GTA4?

The point of i5 is basicly price and size. I think mATX will be the new norm with i5. Plus the boards gonna be very cheap as you can also imagine from the prototype one. However it does restrict abit as in 2 x8 or 1 x16 only. But we can just aswell get used to that.
    Waiting like 8 months just to get it cheaper is kinda, well, retarded 45nm was more or less fine, it was like 2 months in between 45nm QX and dual cores. But more than half year, no way.

mATX, hmm, not for me - vga with accelero S1 (with 120mm fan) + xfi card is already 4 slots

Xtreme Guru
    Not 3Ghz at launch i think. but something like 2.83Ghz should be fairly sure. At at sub 300$ for the "top bin" i5.

Perhaps 32nm will be i6, i8 etc?
    Yea I think so too, but 2.83GHz part is fine as long as it clocks to 3.7~3.8GHz on air and price is sub 300 EUR which I'm sure it is as it's quite a while until Lynnfield launch still and i7 920 2.66GHz is sub 300 EUR so 2.83GHz i5 I'd really expect to at least match the one step lower clocked i7 920 in price by then. Hope we can expect to see such overclocks though, I have a feeling they'll come close in average to like 3.5 ~ 3.7GHz but not quite 3.8GHz other than on golden samples or going very excessive on cpu voltage.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 12-09-2008 at 07:43 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Yea I think so too, but 2.83GHz part is fine as long as it clocks to 3.7~3.8GHz on air and price is sub 300 EUR which I'm sure it is as it's quite a while until Lynnfield launch still and i7 920 2.66GHz is sub 300 EUR so 2.83GHz i5 I'd really expect to at least match the one step lower clocked i7 920 in price by then. Hope we can expect to see such overclocks though, I have a feeling they'll come close in average to like 3.5 ~ 3.7GHz but not quite 3.8GHz other than on golden samples or going very excessive on cpu voltage.
    i5 would OC just as good/bad as i7. Nothing different there, no extra voltage etc. Its simply a contest between 2-3way SLI/Crossfire and trichannel. Vs single card or "lowend" crossfire and dualchannel in those terms.

I am Xtreme
    Now the question is do you GTA4?

Waiting like 8 months just to get it cheaper is kinda, well, retarded 45nm was more or less fine, it was like 2 months in between 45nm QX and dual cores. But more than half year, no way.

mATX, hmm, not for me - vga with accelero S1 (with 120mm fan) + xfi card is already 4 slots

8 months retarded? Ooooo you just called all those folks talking about Deneb for the last 13 months or waiting even longer than 8 months retarded. Now you take it back right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Blauhung did substantiate the Lynnfield OC woes rumors somewhat, so who knows. If it turns out it does overclock it should be a great buy, triple channel is quite pointless. PCI-E on-die is also way cool.

uhh no thanks. Not a fan of microATX boards, and the lack of PCIe channels could be a real problem, as more stuff (slowly it seems) moves from PCI to PCIe. Oh and define "cheap" because it seems one person's "cheap" is another persons "pricey" or somewhere in between or whatever. A solid number would be helpful.

That prototype board is hideously ugly and bare, but I'm assuming being a prototype the final product would be a bit more filled out?
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    uhh no thanks. Not a fan of microATX boards, and the lack of PCIe channels could be a real problem, as more stuff (slowly it seems) moves from PCI to PCIe. Oh and define "cheap" because it seems one person's "cheap" is another persons "pricey" or somewhere in between or whatever. A solid number would be helpful.

That prototype board is hideously ugly and bare, but I'm assuming being a prototype the final product would be a bit more filled out?
    The 16/2x8 pcie lanes on the ondie controller are only for the gfx, there are another 8 pcie lanes on Ibexpeak.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    I'm wondering how 3D performance will compare to X58--someone should do a single-card comparison (x16 slot) and a taped-off SLI and CFX (x8-x8) comparison. Same clock speed, dual-channel memory, but how's performance with on-die PCIe?

Anyways--looks interesting. If I get the money, I'll probably go for i7 though.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    I'm wondering how 3D performance will compare to X58--someone should do a single-card comparison (x16 slot) and a taped-off SLI and CFX (x8-x8) comparison. Same clock speed, dual-channel memory, but how's performance with on-die PCIe?

If anything it should be faster , lower latencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Xtreme Member
    Intel is smart, sell as much i7 as possible till Q3 2009 and only then release i5 If you crave nehalem no point waiting really. I highly doubt i5 will have much higher clocks, if it did then it would be worth
    The only point in waiting is for revisions and bug fixes. Also as time passes the prices always seem to go down as well Sometimes waiting is a good idea if you don't absolutely NEED a new setup. If you can do what you need to with your current rig there's really no need to step it up.
    If anyone is interested in fitness and/or nutrition hit me up if you'd like advice getting your girlish figure back I'm nearing 10 years of experience, how time flies.

Xtreme Member
    Oh my god this thread is moving beyond fast lol...
    If anyone is interested in fitness and/or nutrition hit me up if you'd like advice getting your girlish figure back I'm nearing 10 years of experience, how time flies.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by savantu View Post
    If anything it should be faster , lower latencies.
    Duh, but how much faster? 1% 10% My question is whether or not PCIe communications saturates QPI enough to get a speed boost by moving the controller on-die. We'll see.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post

Graphics aint latency dependent. It wouldnt be that much of a change either in latency due to the already far traces I guess. So honestly I would say 0 difference.

HWiNFO Author
    Forget about overclocking Havendale/Lynnfield same as Bloomfield. It's different here since BCLK is routed (and controlled) a different way......

Xtreme Addict
    Here they probably only sold Phenom 2 this way.
    Q3 is late.

Xtreme Addict
    No thanks , i will pass , LGA775 FTW ....
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Xtreme Addict
    Its perfect for people like me who wont upgrade this year, doesnt need many slots (M-ATX is enough), wont ever use more than 1 video card, and does not need much Bandwidth (dual channel is more than enough for games and most common apps).

I would like to see M-ATX going mainstream big time, while ATX being more of an workstation/enthusiast solution

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    Blauhung did substantiate the Lynnfield OC woes rumors somewhat, so who knows. If it turns out it does overclock it should be a great buy, triple channel is quite pointless. PCI-E on-die is also way cool.
    Are you sure it's not the same FUD that was spread prior to i7 launch? I thought Intel's take is that motherboard manufacturers have to decide whether to enable or disable overclocking features. In fact I expect i5 to be just a lower binned i7, when it comes to overclocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    the idiots out number us 10,000:1

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast