Page 11 of 173 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast

Thread: UnOfficial Asus Rampage II Extreme Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke_Dallas View Post
    I tried everything that could be tried. No joy. The board I got is simply defective. I did find that I had better but not perfect results with the Corsair HX620 power supply. YMMV. I've got my Newegg RMA lined up and am packing up the board this weekend. Dissapointing. Hopefully I'll have better luck on my second board than you. If not, back it goes. $400 and it's got to be perfect.
    Don't waste your time sending it back to newegg. Because of the cold boot issue I sent mine back (newegg) and the replacment is doing the same thing, and what are the odds of two defective mobo?
    Asus Rampage II Extreme|Intel Core i7 965|Corsair Dominator 6G|Western Digital VelociRaptor|Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB|Seagate Barracuda ES.2|EVGA 9800 GX2|LG GGW H20N|Sony BWU 300S|Pioneer DVR-215L|Logitech G9|Dell 3008WFP|Cooler Master Stacker 832|Thermaltake W0133RU

Quote Originally Posted by skypx View Post
    Don't waste your time sending it back to newegg. Because of the cold boot issue I sent mine back (newegg) and the replacment is doing the same thing, and what are the odds of two defective mobo?
    I've been stretching the time out hoping to get another shipment/revision. But if I get a second defective board I'll ask Newegg for a credit towards another manufacturers board. They've been pretty good about making exceptions for me over the years. Spend a lot of money there. I'd give it a try if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke_Dallas View Post
    I've been stretching the time out hoping to get another shipment/revision. But if I get a second defective board I'll ask Newegg for a credit towards another manufacturers board. They've been pretty good about making exceptions for me over the years. Spend a lot of money there. I'd give it a try if I were you.
    Yea, I hear you and I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but another forum member (can't remember the name) RAMed his board 3 times with the same result. If I return the mobo to newegg again, I'll be asking for a refund.
    Asus Rampage II Extreme|Intel Core i7 965|Corsair Dominator 6G|Western Digital VelociRaptor|Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB|Seagate Barracuda ES.2|EVGA 9800 GX2|LG GGW H20N|Sony BWU 300S|Pioneer DVR-215L|Logitech G9|Dell 3008WFP|Cooler Master Stacker 832|Thermaltake W0133RU

Xtreme Addict
    Damn I was about to order a rampage II, but I think ill pass after some reading here
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Damn I was about to order a rampage II, but I think ill pass after some reading here
    The reason for the cold boot issue, I think, is not random. There has to be a common denominator existing between all the users that have this problem. Replacing the board is pointless as I neither think its revision based nor relating to certain batches of the board. Incompatibilities with certain users hardware, coupled with too young a BIOS seems more likely. Anything could be causing it for some and not others depending on their setup, too many variables exist to pin this down as to 'that' or 'this' ATM.

I say we wait until we get a bigger picture of the overall situation, along with whats certain to be numerous BIOS updates forthcoming.

Yes, $400 or £300 is quite a bit for a board, but we all knew that before we bought the thing, and after all, this is a board to get ones hands dirty, and that's what we are getting, immature hardware running on immature software, I have faith, give it time to develop and we may just reap the benefits.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.
    System Specs: CM Stacker STC-T01 | Asus Z68 V Pro Gen3 (BIOS 3202) | INTEL Core i7 2600K @ 5Ghz | Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Blue RAM | Corsair 750W TX PSU | Geforce GTX 580 - EK-FC580 Watercooled | XSPC Drive Bay Res | XSPC Raystorm CPU Watercooled | Swiftech MCR320-QP | Swiftech MCP655 | 1 x Corsair Force GT 120Gb SSD & 3 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500Gb RAID 0 | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | DELL U2410 (Rev A02) | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Member
    Yea, I hear you and I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but another forum member (can't remember the name) RAMed his board 3 times with the same result. If I return the mobo to newegg again, I'll be asking for a refund.
    I wouldn't return it. It will get fixed with a bios update. I'm almost certain that it is due to memory timings being too tight with certain types of ram (as Asus always wants to be the first and fastest out of the gate typicaly). Something really useful would be a list of what people are using for memory and the timings.

i7 3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
    240GB HyperX SSD
    EVGA GTX 680 SC+
    X-Fi Fatality
    Corsair AX1200

Quote Originally Posted by scaramonga View Post
    The reason for the cold boot issue, I think, is not random. There has to be a common denominator existing between all the users that have this problem. Replacing the board is pointless as I neither think its revision based nor relating to certain batches of the board. Incompatibilities with certain users hardware, coupled with too young a BIOS seems more likely. Anything could be causing it for some and not others depending on their setup, too many variables exist to pin this down as to 'that' or 'this' ATM.

I say we wait until we get a bigger picture of the overall situation, along with whats certain to be numerous BIOS updates forthcoming.

Yes, $400 or £300 is quite a bit for a board, but we all knew that before we bought the thing, and after all, this is a board to get ones hands dirty, and that's what we are getting, immature hardware running on immature software, I have faith, give it time to develop and we may just reap the benefits.
    I agree with your statement 100%. Now if we can only get Asus to realize there is a problem, so we can get a little closer to a fix. After my lengthy discussion with Asus's tech support (support supervisor) they were unaware of the cold boot issues. I did what I could to convince them there is a problem, I even sent them I link to the Xtreme Systems forum, but I have a feeling my words fell on deaf ears.
    Last edited by skypx; 12-20-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlybabyface View Post
    I wouldn't return it. It will get fixed with a bios update. I'm almost certain that it is due to memory timings being too tight with certain types of ram (as Asus always wants to be the first and fastest out of the gate typicaly). Something really useful would be a list of what people are using for memory and the timings.
    I don't think that's it. We have the same memory and I configured my memory based on the settings you posted for your system. No luck.

Even though i'm not going to buy this board, i want to help you guys out. I'm almost certain that this has something to do with ram. I havent heard any complaints from people that are using adata ram. But not everyone with corsair ram has this problem. It's kinda weird.

Btw i checked the qvl list and corsair dominator 3x2gb 1600 cl8 is actually listed there.

Quote Originally Posted by ReVolut1on View Post
    I'm almost certain that this has something to do with ram.
    Ok, I have 2 sticks of slower ddr3 I can test. I will post my findings.

Xtreme Member
    I don't think that's it. We have the same memory and I configured my memory based on the settings you posted for your system. No luck.
    Yes you configured memory the same, is the rest? His mem settings may work with the rest of his hardware, it may not work with yours? Take overclocking for example, one guys settings may work perfect for him, does that mean if you have EXACTLY the same hardware, it will work for you? CPU Batch can make all the difference between a great overclock and a good one, for another example.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.
    System Specs: CM Stacker STC-T01 | Asus Z68 V Pro Gen3 (BIOS 3202) | INTEL Core i7 2600K @ 5Ghz | Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Blue RAM | Corsair 750W TX PSU | Geforce GTX 580 - EK-FC580 Watercooled | XSPC Drive Bay Res | XSPC Raystorm CPU Watercooled | Swiftech MCR320-QP | Swiftech MCP655 | 1 x Corsair Force GT 120Gb SSD & 3 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500Gb RAID 0 | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | DELL U2410 (Rev A02) | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I'm almost certain that this has something to do with ram.
    Just installed 2 sticks of Corsair CM3X20481600C7DHX, no change.

Quote Originally Posted by scaramonga View Post
    Yes you configured memory the same, is the rest? His mem settings may work with the rest of his hardware, it may not work with yours? Take overclocking for example, one guys settings may work perfect for him, does that mean if you have EXACTLY the same hardware, it will work for you? CPU Batch can make all the difference between a great overclock and a good one, for another example.
    Yea, you're right. I just wish I could figure out what in the west hell is causing this problem.

GOD ****ING S**T!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF IS HAPPENING??? This HAS to be the BIOS!! People who are getting this have usually different hardware. The only thing that connects you is ram, but it's maybe just because everybody buys corsair ram for this.
    Last edited by ReVolut1on; 12-21-2008 at 10:04 AM.

GOD ****ING S**T!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF IS HAPPENING??? This HAS to be the BIOS!! People who are getting this have usually different hardware. The only thing that connects you is ram, but it's maybe just because everybody buys corsair ram for this.

Xtreme Member
    Woah! I thought you didn't have this board...Why so seriousssss?

i7 965 | Rampage 2 Extreme | Asus 4870X2 | 6gb OCZ BLADE 7-8-7-20 | 4 OCZ SSD V2 in RAID0 |
    1 VelociRaptor 300gb | 1 WD Caviar Black 1TB | Tagan ITZ 1100w PSU | LG 6x BluRay Burner | 52" Sony Bravia LCD

Homemade SS Phase Change | Kayl Custom Lineset

My Case - Treasure Chest Build Thread : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=218115

Well actually one of my pals have this board and i want to help him because he's a very good friend of mine and he has helped me alot. And as i'm still interested in this board i kinda feel i want to do something to solve this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmilos View Post
    Woah! I thought you didn't have this board...Why so seriousssss?
    My guess is he's feeling the frustrations of the others that do.

Have you already tried different bios versions?

Xtreme Member
    Different note, I hit 225 bclk, no cold boot problems using gskill pi's 6gb kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	225 bclk.jpg 
Views:	1467 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	91161  
    "Behold, I am Funkadelic. I am not of your world. But fear me not, I will do you no harm. Loan me your funky mind and I shall play with it. For nothing is good unless you play with it. And all that is good, is nasty!"
    ("What Is Soul," Funkadelic, 1969)

Xtreme Member
    what dram volatage? QPI volts? Mess with any other voltages?

i7 965 | Rampage 2 Extreme | Asus 4870X2 | 6gb OCZ BLADE 7-8-7-20 | 4 OCZ SSD V2 in RAID0 |
    1 VelociRaptor 300gb | 1 WD Caviar Black 1TB | Tagan ITZ 1100w PSU | LG 6x BluRay Burner | 52" Sony Bravia LCD

Homemade SS Phase Change | Kayl Custom Lineset

My Case - Treasure Chest Build Thread : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=218115

Have you already tried different bios versions?

Yes.

hmm.. perhaps it's something with the BIOS, but as the exact same issue exist with MULTIPLY Asus ROG - boards, then I guess we will never see any fix for it

Quote Originally Posted by BringerOdeath View Post
    Here you go ramguy, I had to improvise a bit!!

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...a/DSC01085.jpg
    Nice one! Did it lower the temps?
    It seems like things are a bit tight there? You think it will be possible to have a Thermalright TRUE Black with 2x 120mm fans, along with three RAM slots and that black PCI-Express x1 slot occupied and still make room for that HR-05 heat-pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by RamGuy239 View Post
    hmm.. perhaps it's something with the BIOS, but as the exact same issue exist with MULTIPLY Asus ROG - boards, then I guess we will never see any fix for it
    Yes I agree. I gave Asus my contact information a couple of days ago after the lenghty discussion about the cold boot issue, if they do not get back to me by Tuesday, I'm junping ship and getting EVGA's X58.

Page 11 of 173 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast