Thread: Anyone with an Asus X58 board & i7 965 ee, TurboV question

Anyone with an Asus X58 board & i7 965 ee, TurboV question

I wanted to ask some questions about the TurboV software on Asus boards when used with a 965 CPU.

I am interested in getting one of these boards but want to check if a feature works as I want it to before purchasing. The feature is not really documented in the manual or elsewhere on the net.

As far as I am aware when using TurboV with a 965 CPU you get an extra tab called 'CPU ratio'. See first picture. You seem to be able to change 4 multipliers in this area. Is this true and are you able to set them independantly?

I have seen simular things in the bios on other X58 boards. Normally these settings allow you the change the way the Turbo feature works. I.E you can set the 965 CPU to dynamically overclock more that the normal 266 mhz (2 ticks) even when all 4 cores are in use. See second pic for intel X58 board.

That's how it works on other boards, but since Asus have not done it in the BIOS like other boards I don't know if it gives the same functionality. Also Asus does not have a setting, like on other boards, that allows you to set the TDP to be more than 130W. See second pic for intel X58 board.

Also my other fear with TurboV is that the settings you put in place are only enabled when the software is running. Whereas if I got a board where this was done in the Bios, the settings would be enabled all the time, not just when the OS and TurboV was running.

Anyway can anyone answer my questions about how this 'CPU ratio' tab works?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nehalem.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	90325   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Core-i7-test,K-L-165333-3.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	90326