Thread: Best Practice When Testing Unknown Datasources

Moral Police

Best Practice When Testing Unknown Datasources

ok, reason i'm making this post is because some people when faced with a suspisius link tend to just click on it and see...

bad, bad move guys.

What I want to achieve with this post is to get people to contribute software/ideas/best practice stuff for testing out unknown links, suspiscous content and so on and so forth.

I'll kick off with the following:
    When faced with a suspicous link or software its handy to use Virtual Machines.
    If you download the likes of VirtualBox, and install a small Linux install on it, added with wine, you'll be able to test out "dangerous" links and see where they lead without risking your main system. Also, if you want to scope out programs that you might not want to install straight off on your main rig, install a Windows XP with patches (or your main's OS) on a virtual machine and run that to open and test software you aren't 100% Sure about.

Add to the install a proper firewall with notification and a Virus scanner that really does bug you A LOT and you'll quickly see if some piece of software is doing freacky stuff to your PC.

Now, By all means, security expert guys, add to this thread and if it grows into a thread with proper aid to people who need it, I'll sticky it and keep it clean and organized

Xtreme Gamer
    Using a proxy in conjunction with a VM or secondary partition will further your security keeping your IP anonymous.

Xtreme Member
    Speaking of proxy, you can always set up a proxy on your network and simply block port 80 going out and keep track of what tries to use port 80 outbound.

It's really funny how poorly coded some things are.

mount -o protected -t voluptuous,selfmaintaining /dev/woman /mnt/me

hmm I m kinda against this way of thinking, personally if it is "Unknown Datasources", IMHO you need to spend time finding out more information about the datasource to make sure it is "known",before installing then preparing for the worst

maybe we can have some test apps that people want to install/unsure about then we can find out about then/approve them?
    Last edited by rogard; 12-08-2008 at 07:35 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogard View Post
    hmm I m kinda against this way of thinking, personally if it is "Unknown Datasources", IMHO you need to spend time finding out more information about the datasource to make sure it is "known",before installing then preparing for the worst

maybe we can have some test apps that people want to install/unsure about then we can find out about then/approve them?

You act like you deal with this crap on a daily basis and have some understanding. Just grow some hair, install the software, and deal with the consequences later.

*lightly edited*
    Last edited by yaddam205; 12-10-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Xtreme Gamer
    Be nice, we are all entitled to an opinion.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yaddam205 View Post
    Be nice, we are all entitled to an opinion.
    Opinions are like. . .uh. . .well, you get the idea.

Either way, I'm pretty sure rogard is well aware that I'm joking. Or at least I would *HOPE* so.

Quote Originally Posted by ARC1450 View Post
    Opinions are like. . .uh. . .well, you get the idea.

Either way, I'm pretty sure rogard is well aware that I'm joking. Or at least I would *HOPE* so.
    no worries m8..i got it