Thread: HORRIBLE Raidmax PSU Needs Serious help....Pics Inside-Help....

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

Unhappy HORRIBLE Raidmax PSU Needs Serious help....Pics Inside-Help....

I got this quite sometime ago, but rarely use it, now it's my only back up PSU for a few days and I need to mod it, my new A64 PC is barely overclockable cause the rails and everything are just sooo screwed up...

this PSU is completly unmodded, but I am going to buy somestuff to mod it tonight.

take a look at the 3.3 and 12 volt lines, that pic here is under load with super PI, it gets even worse with almost anything 3d...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loaded.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	4837  

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

heres the PSU under no load.

I will take pics of it later...
    gotta go eat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	4838  

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    I found ASUS Probe FUBARing readings a lot, maybe install MBM or something to be really sure?
    24 core Xeon:
    2x Intel Xeon Q3QS 'ES' @ 4.1GHz (folding@3.8GHz) - (flakey) EVGA SR-2 - 2x Antec Kühler 620 - 6x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL8 - MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II/OC - Thermalright Shaman - 2x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID0 - Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold - Lian Li PC-P80

Xtreme Member
    ..or a multimeter. heh.
    1700+ JIUHB DUT3C 0308 @ 2130MHz 1.68v
    Thermalright SK6+ w/ 40CFM YS Tech
    Abit KR7A-Raid @ 170 FSB
    2x256 Corsair PC3200LL v1.1 (BH5) @ 2-2-2-6-2t
    Elsa Gladiac 920 GeForce3 @ 250/565

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I daresay your Vdimm is being read as 3.3v? Methinks the motherboard's (or PSU's) under-volt protection would kick in with such a horrible undervolt. Not to mention your 3.3v-dependent voltages would be incapable of going over 2.8v (namely, vdimm).

it's already been measured with my FLuke True RMS 77 Multimeter. the readings are right

XDuck, I don't know what you just said...
    I wish I had a Vdimm to 3.3 volts but this board only goes to 2.8 volts max and Asus boards don't report the Vdimm voltages anyways

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by Kunaak
    it's already been measured with my FLuke True RMS 77 Multimeter. the readings are right

XDuck, I don't know what you just said...
    I wish I had a Vdimm to 3.3 volts but this board only goes to 2.8 volts max and Asus boards don't report the Vdimm voltages anyways
    Basically, I think your motherboard is reporting Vdimm as 3.3v... So 2.8v is not your 3.3v line, it's your Vdimm line. IIRC, a line of Epox boards had the exact same problem. Now that you say 2.8v is the max vdimm (and I assume you have it set to that ), I'm pretty much certain your "3.3v" is actually your vdimm. Your 3.3v is probably fine.

Asus Boards don't display the Vdimm voltage, just Vcore.
    plus the voltage doesn't change from setting different Vdimm voltages, like 2.6 or 2.7...

plus the PSU was tested with no motherboard and it was the same barely above 2.9 at best...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Asus Boards don't display the Vdimm voltage, just Vcore.
    plus the voltage doesn't change from setting different Vdimm voltages, like 2.6 or 2.7...

plus the PSU was tested with no motherboard and it was the same barely above 2.9 at best...
    Alright, fair enough. Looks like your PSU really is a POS.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    I'm disappointed Kunaak, i came into this thread thinking i'd see a pic of a smashed up psu... You know...Some deranged individual with teeth gritted standing over a sheetmetal carcus.
    Hehe, guess it 'twernt as ad as i thought
    GA-P35-DS3L no more than 450fsb w/1333 chip
    E6550 stuck at 3150
    V-DATA 2x1gb
    MSI 7900GS 512 3Dmark score in near future
    Old A64 scores2001 39,707 3D03 23,768 3D05 11,394 3D06 5914

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by Poki
    I'm disappointed Kunaak, i came into this thread thinking i'd see a pic of a smashed up psu... You know...Some deranged individual with teeth gritted standing over a sheetmetal carcus.
    Hehe, guess it 'twernt as ad as i thought
    If Kunaak can't get it modded to some respectable rails, you might have your sheetmetal carcus fetish come true!

I can't mod it, I don't see any 3.3 volt sensor line, just the plain old 3.3 volt line, no thin line

but then again, I am not sure I even understand how to mod a PSU...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can't mod it, I don't see any 3.3 volt sensor line, just the plain old 3.3 volt line, no thin line

but then again, I am not sure I even understand how to mod a PSU...
    The principle of it is that you are basically "stealing" some power (it just goes down a ground ) from the feedback (aka sensor) line, so the PSU thinks it is sending less voltage than it should be, so it sends more. The more you "steal", the more the PSU sends.

I have 4 different readings now...

BIOS, SPeedfan,Asus Probe and my Multimeter...

each reports the 12 volt line different.

MM, nope I have a Antec True control 550 here in this PC now, I had to gut my prometeia for it, so my poor P4 is just sitting there at 4 ghz running seti all day with the crappy PSU.