Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ACARD Review Competition: 9010 RAM Disk

Mine was posted at OCF on the 31st:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=594189

It isn't in the review, but I ordered some Fujitsu 15K RPM SAS drives that I'll be comparing the ACARD to as well. Testing will start tonight, actually.

Folks, RAID-0 isn't a magical thing that will double all performance. It's going to matter when you're doing lots of large, sequential I/O but not much of anything otherwise. For real-world usage like boot drives and program loads, RAID-0 will probably even slow you down versus a single drive.
    Last edited by Particle; 02-05-2009 at 08:10 AM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme CCIE
    Any word on who ever won the second 9010 + eSATA enclosure? We must be a bit past the extended evaluation day by now.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

So everybody got their unit apart from me despite being sent a email just before christmas saying I'd be getting some to test, thats great. If I had some kind of notification then fine, as I didn't, this company now = blacklisted in my books.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Any word on who ever won the second 9010 + eSATA enclosure? We must be a bit past the extended evaluation day by now.
    Evaluation period was extended due to the delayed deliveries, as far as I remember.
    i5 660 / Asrock P55M Pro / Ripjaws / GTS250

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by Chosen. View Post
    Evaluation period was extended due to the delayed deliveries, as far as I remember.
    Well he said it would be extended accordingly with the review period. The review period was extended until the end of January, and the original evaluation period was going to be 10 days... so... should be ~Feb 10 or so...
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:

Ket, if you're still interested in reviewing the product (though probably too late for review), I could ship you my unit now that my review is done. I'd want it back of course, but you'd still get to play with it that way.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

The un-extreme XIP
    *poke*

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I received my 9010B for a press review last week. Corsair kindly loaned me 8GB of DDR2 for the review, it is in the queue of products to be reviewed. Will link to the review when it is complete.

Xtreme CCIE
    So still no word on a winner? Has anyone sent an e-mail to Jason to inquire?

Xtreme Network:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    So still no word on a winner? Has anyone sent an e-mail to Jason to inquire?
    I did about a week and a half ago, at which point I was informed that half the reviews had been read, and that it would take about another week.

Personally I'm not too worried, it'd be nice to win something of course, but that's out of my hands now.

The un-extreme XIP
    bump

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Xtreme Member
    Rather disappointing that Acard canceled the competition without warning... or at least that is what appears that have happened.
    i5 660 / Asrock P55M Pro / Ripjaws / GTS250

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234