Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Wire Mesh/Filter/Fan Grill Testing...

Banned
    I greatly benefited from this testing. Thanks.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottAllyn View Post
    That filter/grill is #11 in the table - I have about 20 of those in silver and black (impulse buy before I really knew what I wanted... even then I didn't know which color to get, so I got both). The hole size is actually larger than the openings in the 24 x 24 mesh, so I wouldn't expect it to keep a lot of dust out, tho it should do a decent job with pet fur. A nice layer of pet fur over the filter will probably help with the dust.
    Here kitty, kitty, kitty....

Quote Originally Posted by Fairydust View Post
    If you still have the setup up and running, please test some pantyhose/stockings. Great budget solution, with very easy and fast installation, in my experience better filtering than metal mesh.
    I have always wondered about whether it would work or cause too much restriction.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

I'll test pantyhose and fabric softener sheets this week. I was hoping to do the fabric softener sheets this evening, but I forgot to get 'em while I was at the grocery store. One of these days I'm going to make a list...

I'll test pantyhose and fabric softener sheets this week.
    Dear God! Did I just write that?

Xtreme Addict
    I'll test pantyhose and fabric softener sheets this week. I was hoping to do the fabric softener sheets this evening, but I forgot to get 'em while I was at the grocery store. One of these days I'm going to make a list...
    What I find funny is that you did not mention picking up pantyhose at the store.....Anything we should know about? Then again never mind....I don't want to know.... Just joking!

Xtreme Addict
    how's the panty hose going? those are old school modder methods .. i wonder it still stands today ...

you know ... sometimes, the best method often found in the most common, unexpected way

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    how's the panty hose going? those are old school modder methods .. i wonder it still stands today ...
    Well, they're not as tight as I thought they'd be and they have a really nice slimming effect but... oh wait, did you mean on the wind tunnel setup?

I should have some numbers later in the week.

Xtreme Member
    Well, they're not as tight as I thought they'd be and they have a really nice slimming effect but... oh wait, did you mean on the wind tunnel setup?

I should have some numbers later in the week.
    busted!
    Cooler Master Haf X
    i5 3750k
    Asrock Xtreme 4
    660 Ti

I'll have the numbers for fabric softener sheets (bounce and snuggle) as well as pantyhose later this evening. I snapped some photos of all of the manufactured filters and will add them to the thread, as well. Just from "eyeballing" the fabric softener sheets, I can tell that they're not going to perform as well as the meshes as far as dust/fur intrusion goes - they have larger percentage of open areas than the meshes. I'd also worry about the fabric softener gel/goo getting sucked off the sheets and blown into the computer.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah that's what I was thinking about the fabric softener sheets as well. I don't think it would be good for a rad with the detergent that is on there to get rid of static cling. It would coat the fins of the rad I believe anyway and just do more harm then good. Panty hose is where it's at....Good airflow, cheap and can be custom stretched over almost anything and you can get them in every color too to match a build. Kind of hard to beat!

Xtreme Member
    I run with these, although they are black, and its just the filter, ignore the fan. For some reason the webpage doesnt have the actual part i have listed online. They do get gummed up pretty quick, but i just take the vacuum to them every week or so. Seem to keep out about 90% of the dust. I rebuilt last weekend and the fans only had a very small buildup of dust, and the internals of the machine were spic and span.

http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0283132

I updated the table and added some notes at the bottom of the original post. My computer room reeks of fabric softener now! I don't know how you guys can stand that smell.

I'll add some more photos a bit later this evening.

Admin
    I thought you were supposed to use the dryer sheets first?

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    I thought you were supposed to use the dryer sheets first?
    I was wondering about that but some of the guys have mentioned the smell, so I figured they must have been using them fresh out of the box. Plus, after tumbling around in the dryer for 30 mins, the condition of the sheet will be deteriorated by quite a bit - doesn't seem like it'd make a good filter at that point. Maybe I'll let one soak in hot water for a while, rinse it a few times, and then let it dry overnight before testing it with a fan tomorrow. Tho that seems like more trouble than it's worth...

Xtreme Member
    It's the Hexx version.
    : / ohh well, figured as much given the numbers

i assume #17 is close if not identical to the regular meshx then

i already liked the amount of dust it keeps out and knowing its not a complete cfm killer is an added bonus
    Last edited by ryan92084; 12-12-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
    i assume #17 is close if not identical to the regular meshx then
    I haven't seen the regular MeshX panels, but you're probably correct about it being the same as the MeshX Fanguard. Text on the A.C. Ryan website backs that up:

...Available in MeshxPanel™ for free-form modding or as Meshx™ Fanguards.

Xtreme Addict
    I updated the table and added some notes at the bottom of the original post. My computer room reeks of fabric softener now! I don't know how you guys can stand that smell.

I'll add some more photos a bit later this evening.
    you know ... actually epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) can be used as fabric softener as well as relaxing sore mucles

and it doesnt have the fragrant (or smelly) smell of the fabric softener

you know ... some panty hose has some elaborate designs sew on it ..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot for the update.

Xtreme Legend
    Did anyone ever try the mesh used in tumbledryers? (at least european ones)

Xtreme Addict
    What is fabric softener sheets, anyone have a danish translation or a picture :p ? It seems to be a better alternative than using nylon socks (Panty hoes) which I planned on, but 26% is a big hit on cmf
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Xtreme Addict
    Hard to find a pic of a box open but here it is...

One question I have is, I've used these in my last build and plan on using them on my current build also. I was only planning on using 3 of them on the front triple panel as those are the only fans that will be sucking air into the case. Would It be as usefull using them on the fans blowing air out, or would that just be restricting air flow? I made a mesh cover for the PC when its not in use so I wouldn't have to worry about dust settling in when the PC is off.

Thanks, Quels
    Intel i7 920, Asus Rampage II Extreme, Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600, BFG GTX 295, Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GBx2 (raid 0), Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (storage), Ultra X3 1000-Watt Power Supply, OS- Windows Vista 64 Premium, Case- MM Pinnacle 24, LCD- Samsung T260HD.

WC loop - EK-Multioption RES 250 Rev 2, Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC Pump, Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Mod Kit, XSPC RX360, Apogee GTZ.

Loop2= Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Rev. 2 Reservoir, Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Mod Kit, Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC PumpXSPC RX360, Koolance VID-NX295, Bitspower G1/4 Shiny Silver " High Flow 1/2" Compression Fittings, Tygon 3603 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Clear Tubing.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Hard to find a pic of a box open but here it is...
    Is that the stuff you wipe baby bums with? or just the stuff you dry dises with?
    Last edited by Mech0z; 05-12-2009 at 05:56 AM.
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech0z View Post
    Is that the stuff you wipe baby bums with? or just the stuff you dry dises with?
    Neither. You put it in the dryer for your laundry to keep static down.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadasius View Post
    Neither. You put it in the dryer for your laundry to keep static down.
    Have never heard of that

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast