Thread: Modright Fan filter

Xtreme Member

Modright Fan filter

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/26...ter.html#blank

Anyone use and or recommend them? I remember a filter test thread like a year ago not sure if these were in it. I'll search now ;/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0326292_673491.jpg 
Views:	536 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	111266  

I am Xtreme

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=209801

I have some lying around, I've used them but honestly couldn't tell you how well they work or not, never really payed attention.
    Last edited by Waterlogged; 01-17-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks Waterlogged You are the bestestest.

Wonder how these will do with yate loon low/med speed fans.
    tests were done on sflex at 1500rpm. hmm was hoping to run them at like 1200max rpm 9v about on yates. Always worried about air flow. Always worried about something...
    Last edited by Gamb311; 01-17-2011 at 09:17 PM.

I am Xtreme
    FrozenCPU just got some new square versions in if you want something a little more contemporary looking.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Banned
    I have the140mm version. The mesh does not cover the entire fan, so dust comes in through there.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah just grabbed 15 square ones. I hope they will let me return 9 circle ones I ordered Friday ;/

Xtreme Member
    A very fine mesh will be very restrictive for the fan.

I recommend this filter:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...tl=g47c223s885

It’s a corrugated mesh that will provide more surface area for a given size. The fan intake on the back of my Corsair 800D chassis is designed to accommodate a 140mm fan. I cut-out all of the hex grills which is very restrictive then mounted a 140mm-to-120mm fan adapter and used a 120x38mm 180 cfm dual ball bearing Delta fan. Orientate the corrugations vertically so it won't allow dust to settle. To clean it all you need to do is put a vacuum cleaner wand to the back of the filter.

Very nice set-up

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSVT View Post
    A very fine mesh will be very restrictive for the fan.

I recommend this filter:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...tl=g47c223s885

It’s a corrugated mesh that will provide more surface area for a given size. The fan intake on the back of my Corsair 800D chassis is designed to accommodate a 140mm fan. I cut-out all of the hex grills which is very restrictive then mounted a 140mm-to-120mm fan adapter and used a 120x38mm 180 cfm dual ball bearing Delta fan. Orientate the corrugations vertically so it won't allow dust to settle. To clean it all you need to do is put a vacuum cleaner wand to the back of the filter.

Very nice set-up
    I have those and my system gets quite dusty. I did the vacuum thing but also had to spend time spraying inside with my filtered air compressor. Wanted to try a new filter, one I could take off without removing the entire filter. Since screws go to fans+radiators. I just hate having to do the air spraying.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamb311 View Post
    I have those and my system gets quite dusty. I did the vacuum thing but also had to spend time spraying inside with my filtered air compressor. Wanted to try a new filter, one I could take off without removing the entire filter. Since screws go to fans+radiators. I just hate having to do the air spraying.
    The fact it gets dusty so quickly is because a lot more air will move thru it. A fine mesh filter won't dirty as quickly because less air gets pulled thru it. Perhaps you can come up with a quick release mechanism to make cleaning easier. I still think it's worth the trouble though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have had them on my Drunken Monkey for about a year now, 16 of them on the intake fans. they don't add much noise like some of the other ones I have tried, they filter the dust well, they are not very restrictive, with low speed fans, and are ugly as sin.
    I use a swiffer duster thingy, wipes the dust off very quick and easy.
    Email/web browsing PC
    MM Ascension case, 24/7 settings
    Classified, 980x @ 4,525Mhz, HT on 1.39V
    (3) ATI 5870's@ 1062Mhz
    G skill perfect storm RAM s 6gb, 2,176 Mhz CAS 8
    (4) intel x25m RAID 0
    CPU loop, EK supreme HF, EK mobo block, 500MM bitspower res, 2 DDC 3.25's on XSPC top, 2 XSPC RX 360's, 1 XSPC RX 480, GPU loop, EK water blocks, with nickel backs, 2 swiftech mcr 320's, 500MM bitspower res, ddc 3.25, XSPC top all with 1850 RPM gentle typhoons
    plus many other rigs.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamb311 View Post
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/26...ter.html#blank

Anyone use and or recommend them? I remember a filter test thread like a year ago not sure if these were in it. I'll search now ;/

they suck.. horribly suck..

these maybe ugly.. but hands down the easiest to clean if the spacing allows so:

Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    *sigh*

You dingbat, you used them wrong. The 4 small screw allow the mesh part to be removed for easy cleaning but, you can't do that with them setup like that.
    Circles SucQ!

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    *sigh*

You dingbat, you used them wrong. The 4 small screw allow the mesh part to be removed for easy cleaning but, you can't do that with them setup like that.
    no i used them like that b4... they dont grab as well as a open cell foam does.

So in the long run i just gave up on those guys.. and did them more as visual eye candy... and then just got rid of all the eye candy on the outside of my case.

The open cell foam filters on the other picture i showed work a ton better, and are far easier to clean.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I use this without the handle... don't knock it till you try it.. works very well on mesh type filters. super fast, easy..

Email/web browsing PC
    (3) ATI 5870's@ 1062Mhz
    (4) intel x25m RAID 0
    CPU loop, EK supreme HF, EK mobo block, 500MM bitspower res, 2 DDC 3.25's on XSPC top, 2 XSPC RX 360's, 1 XSPC RX 480, GPU loop, EK water blocks, with nickel backs, 2 swiftech mcr 320's, 500MM bitspower res, ddc 3.25, XSPC top all with 1850 RPM gentle typhoons
    plus many other rigs.

Xtreme Member
    Pretty sure I had those on second picture and it requires 25mm spacing? I have 15mm spacing on my mm case.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    here is what the Drunken Monkey looked like after a year, they are ugly, and do not photograph well.
    Yes, one day I will get some paint on it, but until I make up my mind it is going to stay hideous.
    Email/web browsing PC
    (3) ATI 5870's@ 1062Mhz
    (4) intel x25m RAID 0
    plus many other rigs.

I recommend this DustEND fan filter for computers. You can cut out of any size and shape.

wouldn't that hinder airflow ?

Yes, little hinder airflow. This the PC fan filter material is 4.5 mm thick
    Last edited by DustPC; 09-10-2016 at 04:05 AM.