Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast

Thread: AMD Phenom II and Dragon Preview Event - Invite Only

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo˛ View Post
    How many pins are going to have the AM3 chips? 938? 936? If am2+ deneb have all 940 pins... well there is the answer. If AM3 sockets get all 940 holes it will be posible to fit this special am2+ denebs AND ALL AM2 chips too! i don´t think so! So AM3 will have less holes and AM3 chips will have less pins, that way they can fit in AM2+ boards but not the other way. Of course someone can try to cut those pins in AM2+ Deneb and see what happens.
    it's not about pins, it's about DRAM compatibility.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

I know that is about memory compatibility but I am talking about mechanical compatibility to be sure about how memory compatibility will be. It´s simple, if you have a Am2+ deneb count the pins, if there are 940 pins, that´s all you need to know. It will not work in AM3 boards.
    Last edited by Voodoo˛; 12-13-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
    Phenom II X2 555 BE (4 cores unlocked)
    Sapphire 6770 1GB
    G.Skill RipJaws 2 x 2GB 1600MHZ cl7
    480 watt Topower/Tagan Power supply
    Thermaltake Soprano
    24" 1920x1080 BenQ G2410HD
    MAXTOR 500GB 32MB x2
    BenQ DW1650 16x Dvd burner

Xtreme Member

i7 965 system vs Phenom II 940 BE Crysis Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    .....Lastly, it's important to mention that in the Core i7 965 system vs Phenom II 940 BE Crysis comparison, I was able to verify that both systems were running the exact same graphical settings, with the same cards. Phenom II had 4GB of ram, dual channel while the Core i7 had 3GB in triple channel on an X58 Intel reference board. The Phenom II had higher frame rates throughout the majority of the gameplay.
    I believe the above comparison was run at a resolution of 1900x1080. What I can't understand is how the Phenom II runing a dual channel system could possibly beat the i7. Gosh has argued that AMD in general has a leg in bandwidth but his comments caused a thread to be locked down. I don't know what to think ... If the comparison result is true what could possibly account for this?
    Phenom 9950BE (125w) 3.2 ghz| ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe | 4 Gig Corsair XMS2 (DDR2 800 Mhz) | NV 8800 GTS 512 (G92) | SATA2: 2-SGTE 350; 2-WD 250 | SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM| Apogee GTZ; MCP355; Feser 240 | Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer | VISTA 32-bit |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I believe the above comparison was run at a resolution of 1900x1080. What I can't understand is how the Phenom II runing a dual channel system could possibly beat the i7. Gosh has argued that AMD in general has a leg in bandwidth but his comments caused a thread to be locked down. I don't know what to think ... If the comparison result is true what could possibly account for this?
    doesn't AMD have some kind of hybrid crossfire with the onboard gpu?
    so the amd setup has 4870+790gx (i think it's a 3 series chip?)
    i didn't really get to this demo so i can't comment. I was too busy with the phase unit they had set up! was able to do 4.7-.8 at 1.45v around -48 , seems these chips will love cold.

a great time was had by all and it was a lot of fun meeting you guys.
    Last edited by Slovnaft; 12-13-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I think they were going to update it here but its the weekend and these guys are probably pooped from traveling all week.

http://www.mogulus.com/amdunprocessed
    You have been a big help in the past chew*, now you are continuing to do great work!

Thanks for sticking to your guns.

Ray
    DFI CFX3200
    Opty 180 at 2730
    XP-90C W/92mm Tornado
    2X1024 G.Skill HX
    Silverstone 520
    Powercolor X1900XTX

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Slovnaft View Post
    i didn't really get to this demo so i can't comment. I was too busy with the phase unit they had set up! was able to do 4.7-.8 at 1.45v around -48 , seems these chips will love cold.

Hibrid only works on low end 3000 series GPU's...Trust me, It wasn't even an option with my 790GX board and the 4850....
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I ran the CPU bench mark several times and noticed it is only using max 50% of the Phenom I have. So it can't be scaling ...maybe 4870 and 790GX / 790FX and Phenom II (Dragon) actually run like a be-atch together...I dunno
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for all the great Info guys

Im surprised to see by what you guys have said that AMD intends for Phenom II to be a competitor to I7.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Brilliant Idiot
    There is only 2 logical explantions for this and the latter being more feasible. Either there is more than just a 10% ipc performance increasement or.......AMD is really pushing the "dragon platform" so when you pair all the required equipment for a platform to meet dragon platform requirements it gets a boost in performance possibly due to optimizations of this specific platform maybe through drivers, bios etc etc.

As far as the am2+ compatibility of phenom 2 in am3 like i said don't shoot the messenger, I had mentioned to a certain someone at the event that it kind of seemed pointless to even make an am2+ variant in the form of an end of life product that would not be compatible with am3 and why not just release am3 chips only if backward compatible, his comment was who said that, i mentioned reading it all over the net, he said it was a rumour and that am2+ phenomII would work fine in am3 however am3 was even more of an improvement over am2+ phenom II.

Me personally I am waiting for am3 and I said as much, we shall see how my choice pays off.

For those interested this is the board that they were using for the intel comparison. All 3 blue banks were populated and bios confirmed triple channel configuration was enabled as well as turbo, hypertreading and oll that other stuff....etc it wasn't handicapped other than being in a board without alot of bling.......
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121361
    It used this cpu.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115200

I also noticed another rumour going around that they were only overclocking one core......its a rumour.
    Last edited by chew*; 12-13-2008 at 10:04 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Member
    There is only 2 logical explantions for this and the latter being more feasible. Either there is more than just a 10% ipc performance increasement or.......AMD is really pushing the "dragon platform" so when you pair all the required equipment for a platform to meet dragon platform requirements it gets a boost in performance possibly due to optimizations of this specific platform maybe through drivers, bios etc etc.
    I tend to think your latter explanation is the reason for Phenom II performance besting i7 in this comparison. I hope so because it is the main reason I chose AMD over Intel. I have been drawn to the AMD integration of CPU, Memory, GPU, and Chipset. If the Bios and GPU drivers are optimized and the CPU + GPU + Memory + Chipset are optimized then you have a compeling answer to the technical superiority of any "one" element in an Intel/nVidia computing solution. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts so to speak.

BTW Chew, I very much appreciate you unbiased reporting of the Boston AMD event, and I regret some of my comments regarding an Intel bias. I see now that you are a truth seeker like most of us here. I apologize for any hard feelings.
    Phenom 9950BE (125w) 3.2 ghz| ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe | 4 Gig Corsair XMS2 (DDR2 800 Mhz) | NV 8800 GTS 512 (G92) | SATA2: 2-SGTE 350; 2-WD 250 | SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM| Apogee GTZ; MCP355; Feser 240 | Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer | VISTA 32-bit |

Brilliant Idiot
    No problem.

I will admit i have a bias towards ati over nvidia though namely because every past nvidia card I have had and my friends have had has died, my 9700, 2 9800's still work to this very day as well as my x1800xt's flashed to pe and my 1900xt flashed to xtx. All have been massively abused. NF4 was the final straw.
    heatware chew*

Hey Chew*, since you were there and saw. How much better is a core i7 for Xfire/SLI? A well known Dr. without a Ph.D is telling us here that i7 is obviously best. And he's been to promise land and he's seen everything.

As far as the am2+ compatibility of phenom 2 in am3 like i said don't shoot the messenger, I had mentioned to a certain someone at the event that it kind of seemed pointless to even make an am2+ variant in the form of an end of life product that would not be compatible with am3 and why not just release am3 chips only if backward compatible, his comment was who said that, i mentioned reading it all over the net, he said it was a rumour and that am2+ phenomII would work fine in am3 however am3 was even more of an improvement over am2+ phenom II.

Me personally I am waiting for am3 and I said as much, we shall see how my choice pays off.

For those interested this is the board that they were using for the intel comparison. All 3 blue banks were populated and bios confirmed triple channel configuration was enabled as well as turbo, hypertreading and oll that other stuff....etc it wasn't handicapped other than being in a board without alot of bling.......
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121361
    It used this cpu.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115200

I also noticed another rumour going around that they were only overclocking one core......its a rumour.

Brilliant Idiot
    There was no comparison of sli/xfire on either platforms.

If I had to guess the entire platform as a whole with the least bottleneck is going to have the performance advantage In heavliy load quadfire, quad sli applications.

Which that will be I have no clue not really a fan of dual gpu solutions namely due to support issues.
    heatware chew*

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by taurus_sel View Post
    Hey Chew*, since you were there and saw. How much better is a core i7 for Xfire/SLI? A well known Dr. without a Ph.D is telling us here that i7 is obviously best. And he's been to promise land and he's seen everything.
    Easy now, that sort of talk about Olympic athlete doctors can get you banned pronto.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Slovnaft View Post

i wish you could do hybrid crossfire with a 4870. im still waiting for the day that you can xfire a 3870 and a 4870. its probably way too late for that but there was hope in the past.

Xtreme Mentor
    so will I ever see TRI SLI on phenom II ? since i clocks better.
    I haven't ever seen test on it with phenom I in sli or tri sli yet lol

Probably have to get a 780a board .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131292

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    i wish you could do hybrid crossfire with a 4870.
    I want that too, but not for the performance boost. I want a chipset with igp that can put my 4870 in stand by mode in 2d, using only the integrated chip. Would be great for power consumption and temperatures.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by biohead View Post
    it's not about pins, it's about DRAM compatibility.
    it is about pins an their position or to be more precise it's about holes and "islands" in the AM3 socket
    Last edited by Nedjo; 12-15-2008 at 01:21 AM.
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterYoda34 View Post
    Probably have to get a 780a board .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131292
    what's with the thumbs down ?........that board is horrible overpriced..... foxconn destroyer is better in multiple ways, and the one I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    what's with the thumbs down ?........that board is horrible overpriced..... foxconn destroyer is better in multiple ways, and the one I had in mind.
    I was saying thumbs down to 780a in general. Its more expensive than 790GX/FX and its not as good for OCing. It annoying that nvidia continues to make us purchase their motherboards to run SLI even when they don't have decent/competitive boards available.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    Dr.Who expressed skepticism at AMD's claims and had a cherry picked i7 overclocked over 5 ghz by fugger just to show that intel is good too. That's the gist of it. Presumably he didn't get reprimanded because he was the one giving out free samples.
    And what would or could he have been reprimanded for?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    And what would or could he have been reprimanded for?
    He was trolling posts in the AMD forum with the direct intention of stirring up AMD vs. Intel arguments.

Sometimes that is against forum rules.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    He was trolling posts in the AMD forum with the direct intention of stirring up AMD vs. Intel arguments.

Sometimes that is against forum rules.
    And it's later shown that Phenom II samples at the event wasn't special and didn't have "disabled thermal diode" like he suggested...
    But let's not go there anymore and stay on topic.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, that's why i only respect words coming from Blauhung if he can be considered as a sort of unofficial Intel rep around this part. He always stand up and explain stuffs regarding Intel processor and its technicality, but not going overboard by badmouthing competitors, as far as i can see. He doesn't behave embarassingly like a certain person "who" claimed as an Intel employee, acting as a goodwill ambassador to the OCing community in this forum. He made claims he can't back up regarding competitor, spreading FUD along the way, and can't seem to understand what a concept of humility is really.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast