Thread: Converting .mpg?

Xtreme Member

Converting .mpg?

First of all I want to ask which file extension offers the best video quality?

My original question is when I convert a .mpg to an extension that offers better video quality would the quality actually change or worsen

|Asus P5N-E SLI |E4300 (1.8Ghz) |PNY 9600GT 512mb |
    |Corsair 2GB XMS2 DDR2 675 |Corsair HX 520W Power Supply |Hitachi 7200RPM SATA2 Hard-Drive |

I am Xtreme
    as far as I'm aware, its not the extension that matters, but the codec
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yes, the extension means nothing in terms of video quality. The extension is just the wrapper. For instance, MP4/Mpeg4 can be encoded in h.264, XviD or other codecs.

The limiting factor of video quality is the source. If you have something that looks like crap that is encoded in 64kbps .WMV, its not going to look any better re-encoded into 8.2mbps H.264, and if your settings for the re encode are not high enough, the video can end up looking worse
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by SoberWarlock View Post
    First of all I want to ask which file extension offers the best video quality?

My original question is when I convert a .mpg to an extension that offers better video quality would the quality actually change or worsen
    What format, and bitrate is the oringinal file?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Yes, the extension means nothing in terms of video quality. The extension is just the wrapper. For instance, MP4/Mpeg4 can be encoded in h.264, XviD or other codecs.

The limiting factor of video quality is the source. If you have something that looks like crap that is encoded in 64kbps .WMV, its not going to look any better re-encoded into 8.2mbps H.264, and if your settings for the re encode are not high enough, the video can end up looking worse
    Actually that is all I needed to know. Thanks.

|Asus P5N-E SLI |E4300 (1.8Ghz) |PNY 9600GT 512mb |
    |Corsair 2GB XMS2 DDR2 675 |Corsair HX 520W Power Supply |Hitachi 7200RPM SATA2 Hard-Drive |

Xtreme Mentor
    if you want to convert it to kpl the conversion is very simple just type mpg to kpl converter in google
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

I am Xtreme
    why would anyone want to use a freak-o codec like kpl.... ?
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Mentor
    was supposed to be my lame attempt at humor
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Member
    Carful. People like myself that don't know anything about the different codecs would take that advice at face value not knowing if it was worse or not.
    Ntech Duo podcast covers tech news, products reviews, gaming, and any other technology related item.
    Listen to Ntech Duo Podcast
    Ntech Duo Blog and Show notes