Thread: Reliable Wireless Router?

Xtreme Member

Reliable Wireless Router?

Upstairs at home I currently use a Netgear WNR854T wireless router, and I can say that it is one of the worst pieces of hardware I have ever used. It just keeps dropping the wireless connection to the point of making things like skype and even browsing the internet impossable. Looking at the Netgear forums it seems that I am not the only one with this problem.

So, Could you recommend a RELIABLE ( cannot believe I should have to specify that lol) Wireless access point? If it was high speed that would be good, but it is much more important to actually have something that works! It is to be used as the access point to a 100mb wired network, although this might be soon upgraded to a gigabit network, so it might be a nice idea to have that capability too.

So guys - what do you recommend?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've been using my Linksys WRT350N for about a year, works like a charm. It has a pretty long range too.
    i7 860 @ 4.2Ghz | ASUS Maximus III Formula | 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 | ATi 5970 | 3x WD Raptor X HDD's | NZXT Khaos Case | Corsair 1000w PSU | Swiftech H20 Cooling CPU | Windows 7 x64 | Sony Bravia 52" LCD Display

3DMark06 Score - 20k Club | Youtube Account

Xtreme Member
    Anything Linksys or Dlink should be good.
    I had Linksys and now with Dlink.
    Both are excellent.

If you are going to transfer files over LAN from PC to PC, you might consider one with gigabit ethernet.
    If not, it's not needed since the bottleneck from download/upload to the internet is at the ISP.
    MainPC():
    Q6600 + 8GB RAM + 160GB SSD + 1.5TB HDD + Visiontek HD4850 + Gigabyte P965-DS3 rev3.3
    HTPC():
    E4200 + 4GB RAM + 160GB SSD + Samsung F1 2x1TB RAID-0 + Asus EAH 3450 + Asus P5E-VM HDMI + KWorld ATSC-110 HDTV
    Laptop():
    CR-48

Xtreme Member
    using a linksys WAG200g asdl 2+ .......had zero probs here

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the input guys! Hmmm, it seems like the linksys ones are worth a look at. Interestingly nobody has recommended a netgear, so I must not be the only one with problems!!!

Xtreme Addict
    May I be bold enough to suggest trying to put OpenWRT or Tomato on your Netgear? The WNR854T seems to be Marvell based, so it's not supported by DD-WRT, but I believe it might be supported by OpenWRT or Tomato.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS. The original firmware was well, crap, and therefore the router performed like crap. After I installed DD-WRT, I suddenly got a great reliable router.

Just a suggestion, though.

Xtreme Member
    I wouldn't use wireless personally. Its fine if you're just into browsing the net, but its not good if you're an online gamer. Its too slow and you lose connection too much. But thats just me. Linksys is a good one if you're interested.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
    I wouldn't use wireless personally. Its fine if you're just into browsing the net, but its not good if you're an online gamer. Its too slow and you lose connection too much. But thats just me. Linksys is a good one if you're interested.
    See this?

This is on 802.11n WiFi. On Speedtest.net it puts me here:

...and that's from my average speed which is 30% lower than that speed because of all the tests I ran under 802.11g. That said, I use a TrendNet router which is a very cheap, off-brand and it has been the most reliable piece of electronics in my house, thus far.
    Last edited by SlyMaelstrom; 12-04-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Look for a buffalo router. I have several WHR-HP-G54's and theyre fantastic out of the box, and loading DD-WRT onto them makes them epic. Theyre 802.11g routers, so youre not going to get much more than about 20 mib/s out of them at the average distance. So if you have a connection beyond about 20/20, youre going to be looking for a super expensive and often unreliable n router.

It is not gigabit, but its ports are relatively low latency. Never had to power cycle any of them. My DD router has a current uptime of over 2 months. And that was a power outage longer than the hourish the small UPS runs.
    Last edited by ZOMGVTEK; 12-04-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyMaelstrom View Post
    ........I use a TrendNet router which is a very cheap, off-brand and it has been the most reliable piece of electronics in my house, thus far.
    I've got a trendnet tew 633gr ....Most impressive especially the range. there is an access point in the same series too....worth a look

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusC View Post
    May I be bold enough to suggest trying to put OpenWRT or Tomato on your Netgear? The WNR854T seems to be Marvell based, so it's not supported by DD-WRT, but I believe it might be supported by OpenWRT or Tomato.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS. The original firmware was well, crap, and therefore the router performed like crap. After I installed DD-WRT, I suddenly got a great reliable router.

Just a suggestion, though.
    Well there is no harm in giving it a go - it is free after all. Thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
    I only use the wireless for my laptop/PS3/iPhone and my desktop is hard wired. With regards to the speed and connection, well, that is exactly what I am having problems with and what I am asking about! However, yup, I will look at the linksys, and all the other ones mentioned.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry8601 View Post
    Well there is no harm in giving it a go - it is free after all. Thanks for the suggestion
    Yes, definitely give it a shot. Both my wireless and wired connections drastically improved after I installed DD-WRT on my WRT54GS.

WAG54G Here

I was using a v1 until somehtign like a year ago a storm took my last one out, ( also took the Network port of my Mobo too, and a PCI slot as well? ) but I was so happy with it that I bought this one second hand.

Its the same but a v2

I did have some issue about the Wireless distance but that was fixed with a Firmware update.

I have had a number of other junk dlink are ok, Netgear is brilliant if you are in the same room, but any wall thicker than tracing paper and signal starts to drop, buffalo? HEHE funny. Belkin? - I would not rate them anymore, but in the past they have been good.