Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI 4870X2 Full Vgpumod/Vmemmod And Cooler Guide...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    Oh no, I'm no stranger to soldiering. I took 2 years of electronics in school. I've voltmodded computer parts before, but none since 2003 or so. This looks like a cakewalk compared to the k7v dragon plus vcore mod that I did last! I'll wait on the 18w iron to arrive though. My 25w iron is a rubbish RadioShack unit. The iron is coming in the same package as the trimmers anyways.

--Matt
    Mind sharing which on you choose? And where did you get the trimmers (if your in USA)?
    //RETIRED-o00o--°(_)°--o00o-OVERCLOCKER//

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    Mind sharing which on you choose? And where did you get the trimmers (if your in USA)?
    I ordered from digi-key. I picked up:

Trimmers:
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=490-2905-ND

Iron:
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=WPS18MP-ND

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Engineering The Xtreme
    just finished my Vmod according to your guide Riska, thanks much for the great pics of the solder points

used 2 50ohm 25turn pots

(click twice for full res )

quick question about it, what should the resistor read on the DMM when the mod is installed? I set mine to 35 ohms befor installation and now the legs of the VR read 3.5 ohms... the full resistance leg only reads 20ohms. its very very odd maybe I just have a ty DMM....
    Last edited by SNiiPE_DoGG; 12-22-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    just finished my Vmod according to your guide Riska, thanks much for the great pics of the solder points

What clocks are you seeing? And with what cooling?

Does GPU-Z work for voltage monitoring?

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Engineering The Xtreme
    What clocks are you seeing? And with what cooling?

Does GPU-Z work for voltage monitoring?

--Matt
    I have not installed the card as I am waiting on a waterblock for it. I hope to reach 950mhz at least

and no GPU-Z does not work for voltage monitoring

Xtreme Addict
    I have not installed the card as I am waiting on a waterblock for it. I hope to reach 950mhz at least

Well, I guess that's not a big deal. I'll probably only set the voltage once. It's not really something that needs to be changed all the time :-)

Nice! What voltage are you shooting for?

--Matt
    My Rig :

Xtreme Addict
    You have to set the trimmers to max ohm before powering up the card becaus you dont now how much voltage you will put in the card and maybe you will fry your card!
    you can forget about 950 at least many people dont even get that kind og speed under Ln2 i have a lucky card and i have testet many cards and only mine clocks that high on water so set your mind on 875+ mhz the you wont be dissapointed my freind
    The man with the littel Barebone!
    And proud Crew of!!!
    Octeamdenmark.com
    Shuttle SX38P2Pro Barebone E8600cpu and HD4870X2 gfx and 2gig Crusial Ballistix PC8500 Cl5 and 2x150gig Raptor in raid 0 and 1x750 gig seagate
    Msi 790FX-GD70 Mobo Amd 955-965 PHII cpus and 2gig Crucial value PC10600@800mhz 7-5-5-15 1T
    And 4x500GB Seagate 7200.12 in raid0
    4xHD5770 in CFQ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Riska View Post
    You have to set the trimmers to max ohm before powering up the card becaus you dont now how much voltage you will put in the card and maybe you will fry your card!
    you can forget about 950 at least many people dont even get that kind og speed under Ln2 i have a lucky card and i have testet many cards and only mine clocks that high on water so set your mind on 875+ mhz the you wont be dissapointed my freind
    Riska, did you find a pattern on your tests? Radeons from ATI are the best to OC?

Or it has nothing to do with it a 3rd party could achieve same clocks (Sapphire, Palit, Giga etc)
    //RETIRED-o00o--°(_)°--o00o-OVERCLOCKER//

Only Extreme Need Apply
    riska just to ask what is the default vmem for the card? thanks
    Buildin

Xtreme Addict
    It dosent matter what brand they are the same
    The default vmem is about 1.6v but it is hard to say as the vmem is raising and falling automatic on theese cards
    The man with the littel Barebone!
    And proud Crew of!!!
    Octeamdenmark.com
    Shuttle SX38P2Pro Barebone E8600cpu and HD4870X2 gfx and 2gig Crusial Ballistix PC8500 Cl5 and 2x150gig Raptor in raid 0 and 1x750 gig seagate
    Msi 790FX-GD70 Mobo Amd 955-965 PHII cpus and 2gig Crucial value PC10600@800mhz 7-5-5-15 1T
    And 4x500GB Seagate 7200.12 in raid0
    4xHD5770 in CFQ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict

Have you installed your card yet? I was going to do my vmod over this past weekend, but my parts were held up by the holiday (way to go UPS :-/). They're on schedule to arrive today, but I may not do it until the weekend.

--Matt
    My Rig :

Engineering The Xtreme
    Have you installed your card yet? I was going to do my vmod over this past weekend, but my parts were held up by the holiday (way to go UPS :-/). They're on schedule to arrive today, but I may not do it until the weekend.

--Matt
    Ha no I haven't installed it yet, I am waiting on some parts I didn't realize I needed from performance-pcs :\

check my worklog (in sig) for updates, i will post final pics and overclocks when I get it all up and running

Xtreme Addict
    Well, it turns out my loop isn't up to running an e8600@4.55/1.42v and a 4870X2@890/1.41v. I got the mod installed, and the voltage dialed in to ~1.41v on both GPUs. Unfortunately, my CPU temps were skyrocketing and causing my system to BSOD. I couldn't make it through a pass of Vantage with my CPU kept at 4.55. I struggled with attempting to get both GPUs stable at 890mhz with the CPU under linpak, but was only able to get the CPU and GPUs stable under separate load tests. I eventually found a compromise with the CPU at 4.4@1.42v, but would rather have the extra 150mhz on the CPU than the extra GPU clocks. Temps were still over 85C under OCCTPT after 15 minutes at that point. I pulled the mod and put my system back together. It's running just like it was beforehand.

I might throw another rad in my loop and put it back some day, but I'm over extended on cooling capacity for the moment. How disappointing :-/ Hopefully others will have better results! This mod is probably a good one to shoot for if you're running separate loops for GPU and CPU cooling, or if you're loop isn't radiator constricted!

Thanks for the thread Riska. While my luck was not so good overall, the mod worked exactly as you stated!

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 01-03-2009 at 11:53 AM.
    My Rig :

Xtreme Member
    What kind of VRM temps are you guys getting, I think I need to cool VRM 1 more as its about 10-20C different than VRM2! These are both located relative to where the stock fan was correct? My stock heatsink on this part is cut to just cover this side, but now with both cores loaded at 1.4v all the temps are find except the vrm1, vrm 2 loads about 80 and vrm 1 gets about 105!!!! I know that VRM's can take heat, but this seems like too much! Have you guys found a better way to cool these. All the other chips on my card have heatsinks attached, this is the only part that uses the stock heatsink, because I couldn't find a heatsink to efficiently cover all of the chips. Also have you guys had better luck leaving the fan on, or taking it off to lower vrm temps..... Thanks
    [SIZE="1"]My Comp...
    i7 @4ghz | ASUS matx Rampage II GENE | 2 Evga SC 285 gtx in SLI| Corsair 850 watt PS | 30gb Vertex SSD of OS | 150gb Raptor | 1.5tb Segate drive | Megahelms cooler | Cooler Master E341 Elite matx case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Truly a good example of how to write a good guide. Nice job.
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4
    AMD FX 8350
    Kingston 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3 1333
    Gigabyte NVidia GTX 680 2GB
    Silverstone 1000W PSU

Back from the Dead
    Nice guide. I take it there is only the hardmod option available if I want to increase my HD4870X2's clock speeds? No raising the VGPU to 1,5V via software like back in the X1900 days?

Trying to judge if it's worth the hassle.. I got my card watercooled and cold all right (usually below 30C core, card loop only), and it can do a 3D06 pass at around 850 Core. DOesn't like memory clocking at all though, even 950 will give artefacts. What'd you recon I could reach with a VGPU mod, 930-950? I mean it already does 850... oh yeah, waht's the stock VGPU on those cards anyway? I haven't modded a GFX card since my 8800 GTS 640 lol.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Member
    Whats the OVP of this card? I haven't gone past 1.4, but I'm wondering if 1.45 or 1.5 would be ok? Has anyone tried this?
    [SIZE="1"]My Comp...
    i7 @4ghz | ASUS matx Rampage II GENE | 2 Evga SC 285 gtx in SLI| Corsair 850 watt PS | 30gb Vertex SSD of OS | 150gb Raptor | 1.5tb Segate drive | Megahelms cooler | Cooler Master E341 Elite matx case

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by scottc19 View Post
    Whats the OVP of this card? I haven't gone past 1.4, but I'm wondering if 1.45 or 1.5 would be ok? Has anyone tried this?
    I've been up to 1.5 but that was by accident....

does this mod from RISKA remove the OVP ??? we plan a Session in Vienna in April and i want to do this awesome mod to my booth 4870x2...

via Softmod the OVP kicks in @ 1,38... any Voltages above GPU-Z reads out 1,45 but on the measure points are @ 1,38

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12