Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini Test Report: Detroit Thermo D5 Top

Never go full retard

Mini Test Report: Detroit Thermo D5 Top

Detroit Thermo
    Laing D5 Pump Top

First off, I would like to thank Erik (DetroitAC) at Detroit Thermo for providing a production sample of the D5 top for testing purposes. Erik was a pleasure to work with through the testing process and even sent a final production sample for updated photos to be included in the test report. A big thank you goes out for their generosity and the opportunity to test and review his creation.

For the full review, please visit skinnee labs

The Detroit Thermo D5 Top is custom top, designed and built by DetroitAC. A thread on XtremeSystems.org was started back in early September regarding DetroitAC's creation, since that time a lot of buzz has been growing around the use of D5 tops and the Detroit Thermo top. DetroitAC is regular contributing member on XtremeSystems and has been a pleasure to deal with through the testing process here at skinnee labs.

The Detroit Thermo top fits the Laing D5, which is re-branded by Swiftech (MCP655) and Koolance (PMP450). This top is a full replacement for the stock top that we all have become used to on the D5. Aftermarket tops have become standard for the Laing DDC series, but the D5 is new territory, and I am happy to see another aftermarket top enter the ring as a viable replacement to the stock top for the extremely popular D5.

Configuration Options

Performance Test Results (compiled)

For the full test report of each D5 speed setting, you will have to visit skinnee labs. These are just the compiled results for each speed setting.

Conclusion

The Detroit Thermo top provides a nice performance boost to the stock D5 top. If you notice in the scatter plots, the Detroit Thermo top provides a slight increase in flow rate over the stock top, all while increasing the Total Dynamic Head Pressure at almost every flow rate tested, only below 0.5GPM does the stock top outperform the Detroit Thermo top. However, that amount of restriction is not a "real world" loop. Anyone with that amount in their loop should really look at adding a second loop, as the cooling performance in their loop is greatly degraded...but that is completely different topic.

Besides performance, the feature that I like most about the Detroit Thermo top is the ability to use the stock D5 mounting bracket or other compatible brackets. This feature allows for anyone with an existing D5 mounted in their case to perform an upgrade and not have to worry about drilling new mount holes into their case.

I only have one very small complaint about the Detroit Thermo top, this was even adjusted in a revision that was sent to me. When using the (UN)Designs bracket the bottom gromet becomes compressed and slips out the bottom slightly, I am almost certain that this was not accounted for in the design of the top. Like I said, a very small complaint and cannot be listed as a con since the (UN)designs bracket was not used as part of the design criteria.

Overall, the Detroit Thermo top was a pleasure to have on the test bench. The performance gains are worth the upgrade, the simple installation and ability to use the stock or (UN)designs bracket make the Detroit Thermo top an excellent product.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very nice!

Love the quality of your pictures!

Xtreme Addict
    Good review. I have been waiting for a top, and waiting specifically for this review.

Just ordered one.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Just ordered one.
    Where do you order these????

Xtreme Addict
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Addict
    how did you achieve the nice white background?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    personally I don't find that pump top very attractive, definitely not worth the extra 40$.

The Laing D5 and MCP655 are the same thing right?(i'm very sure they are.. Just making sure i don't sound like an idiot.)

I'd totally go ahead and pick up a pump top for my MCP655, but the problem is they just aren't very attractive. I love how the XSPC pump tops look ontop of a DDC pump, especially the integrated reservoirs. Half a GPM doesn't warrant an extra 40$, half a GPM + sexy looks warrants 40$ IMO...
    Last edited by Chruschef; 11-29-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Adding more stuff to make post worth it :P
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Never go full retard
    You can also PM DetroitAC or the For Sale section of XS, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=206278

Banned
    Nice review. Cant wait to get back home and install mine.

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm curious if a G3/8 tap would improve flow
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is it compatible with a D4?

Edit: Nevermind, who would spend $40 on a pump top for a $30 pump?

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the review.
    I7 920 W/ Enzotech Sapphire
    Asus P6T
    4870x2 W/ XSPC Fullcover
    6gb Gskill 1600

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Good to see data which so closely matches my own--looks like we're both on the right track (either that, or we're both horribly wrong but identically so ).
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great Review Skinee
    I would definitely buy 2 of them for my upcoming upgrade.

P.S.
    Can you elaborate on your issue (complaint) with the UN-Design mount ? as I am already using it and about to use it again with my second D5.

Thanks.

PC: Intel Core i7 920 D0 | Kingston Hyperx T1 6GB 2000Mhz 8-8-8 RAM | Foxconn Bloodrage GTI | Sapphire 4870X2 | Perc 5/i - WD 640AAKSx4 RAID0 | Asus 2014L1T | Dell 2407WFP | Lian Li G70 Silver Watercooled
    WaterCooling: Q² Project by The-Fox
    CPU Loop: Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Feser X-Changer 480 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/ DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x4
    GPU Loop: EK-FC4870 X2 Nickel | Swiftech MCR320 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 150 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It looks like it was designed to have something solid on both sides. My brackets are all made to hold the pump from one side so you would probably have to put a washer on the far side to make it rigid. That's what the problem looks like to me but perhaps skinnee has some more insight to add. I don't have one of these tops so I'm just guessing based on the picture.
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

Wall Mount Build Log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242186
    MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Xtreme Member
    Nice review Skinnee
    Cooler Master Haf X
    i5 3750k
    Asrock Xtreme 4
    660 Ti

Xtreme Member
    I have 3 of these available if yall are interested i will let them go for 30.00 shipped...Never used..I installed 1 on a pump but since they wouldnot let me put the Chrome shroud i wanted to use for my D5's i decided to not use them...So water has never touched these...2 have not even been taken out of the box..

Pm me if your interested
    Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    920@4400 1.34(Thanks UTnorris)
    3x2g Gskill Perfect Storm @2000mhz
    2x Asus Gtx480
    300g WD Raptor
    1tb WD Sata 3 Backup
    MMUFO/120.3x3/HK 3.0/EK Nb/sb
    Dell 27"

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by gmod View Post
    I have 3 of these available if yall are interested i will let them go for 30.00 shipped...Never used..I installed 1 on a pump but since they wouldnot let me put the Chrome shroud i wanted to use for my D5's i decided to not use them...So water has never touched these...2 have not even been taken out of the box..

Pm me if your interested
    Not exactly the right section, but they look great. Sweet testing too Skinnee, love it man!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the review Skinnee! I appreciate your time and efforts! Now I might have to pick up a D5 and Detroit top to tinker with!

Xtreme Addict
    Nice review and that sure is a nice product.
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Xtreme Member
    Very nice results!
    The top isent that pretty, but it sure does increase flow.
    MM Ascension Duality - Sky White
    i7 920
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5
    Gigabyte 4870X2 , DD 4870X2 Waterblock
    3 x 2GB Patriot Extreme Viper
    Silverstone Decathlon 1200W
    Raptor X 150, WD Black 1TB
    4 x Samsung F1 1TB
    3 x 320 Seagate 7200.10
    X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Stinger all copper V8 1366 (Soon to come)
    Thermochill PA.120.3
    Swiftech 655 Vario pump
    Maze 4 NB block
    EK Multi option res 250

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate P. View Post
    Not exactly the right section, but they look great. Sweet testing too Skinnee, love it man!
    thats because for some stupid reason i cant post in the for sale thread..So you have to do what you have to do
    Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    920@4400 1.34(Thanks UTnorris)
    3x2g Gskill Perfect Storm @2000mhz
    2x Asus Gtx480
    300g WD Raptor
    1tb WD Sata 3 Backup
    MMUFO/120.3x3/HK 3.0/EK Nb/sb
    Dell 27"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo4g View Post
    Very nice results!
    The top isent that pretty, but it sure does increase flow.
    It's also smaller than that wagon wheel, thus gives you a little more room.

Axis
    QX6700 @ 3.5
    DFI LP LT X48
    TRUE
    2x2gig Corsair Domms PC2 8500
    EVGA 8800GTS (G92) @700/1000
    CM690 (HAF 932 under construction)
    OCZ 600W

Xtreme Addict
    Who cares about looks, this isnt XtremeBling.com!

Never go full retard
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogerlad View Post
    how did you achieve the nice white background?
    I use a light tent (also known as a light box) for taking product shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Good to see data which so closely matches my own--looks like we're both on the right track (either that, or we're both horribly wrong but identically so ).
    I was very happy to see we were quite close to each other on performance data. What I did find interesting is that amp draw on the D5-B seems to be a bit higher than the D5 Vario at setting 4. So, I am speculating here but, there is a bit more difference to the Basic version than just locked at speed setting 4.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Fox View Post
    P.S.
    Can you elaborate on your issue (complaint) with the UN-Design mount ? as I am already using it and about to use it again with my second D5.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by armeniandave View Post
    It looks like it was designed to have something solid on both sides. My brackets are all made to hold the pump from one side so you would probably have to put a washer on the far side to make it rigid. That's what the problem looks like to me but perhaps skinnee has some more insight to add. I don't have one of these tops so I'm just guessing based on the picture.
    armeniandave nailed it, if you put a small washer ( > 7/16" or 12mm) washer between the nut and the grommet, it completely remedies my tiny issue. With the washer, the grommet does not fully compress. Like I said, its a very small issue at that. I remounted the pump using the (UN)Designs bracket and two 7/16" nylon washers a couple minutes ago, grommet does not compress to the point of squeezing out the bottom. Problem solved!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast