Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spammer ordered to pay $873M to facebook

I am Xtreme

Spammer ordered to pay $873M to facebook

Here's the article.

The never-ending war against spam scored a rare victory recently when a federal judge in San Jose, California ordered a prolific spammer to pay Facebook a whopping $873 million in damages for unleashing a torrent of unsavory messages on the social network's members.

The Associated Press reports that Adam Guerbuez, of Montreal, violated the 2003 CAN-SPAM (Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited :banana::banana::banana::banana:ography and Marketing) Act, which carries up to an $11,000 fine per violation. Guerbuez was charged with tricking Facebook users into revealing their logins and then blitzing the unwitting victims with some 4 million obnoxious sexually explicit messages advertising everything from pot to supposed penis enlargement techniques.

Federal Judge Jeremy Fogel in San Jose, Calif., last week banned Guerbuez and his company Atlantis Blue Capital for life from joining Facebook, according to CNET News.

But the decision may be more symbolic than anything else. Max Kelly, Facebook's security director, wrote on the official Facebook blog yesterday that it's unlikely the defendant could or will fork over the entire sum, "though we will certainly collect everything we can" as well as try to safeguard users from spammers.

"Everyone who participates constructively in Facebook," he wrote, "should feel confident that we are fighting hard to protect you against spam and other online nuisances."

The $873 million judgment is the most ever awarded in a spam case. In May, spammers were ordered to fork over $234 million to MySpace.

Facebook may try to keep spam at bay, but there's little chance its security pros can save you from yourself. Check out ScientificAmerican.com's look at what your Facebook profile really says about you.

Xtreme Member
    Ah, so this is how they're going to pay for the bailouts.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Xope_Poquar View Post
    Ah, so this is how they're going to pay for the bailouts.
    you got that right methinks

Xtreme Member
    Not sure they'd get any of the actual money though..
    No rig right now.

Xtreme CCIE
    Well good, another spammer bankrupt.

Of course, now that guy's going to need to make a quick buck to get his house back and his only job skills are spamming...
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Member
    I think I know what the spammer is thinking: "Hmm... 873 million? K here's the cheque LAWL"

Xtreme Addict
    They should give him 2000 years of public works instead.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Im thinking he wont pay that. haha

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    They should give him 2000 years of public works instead.
    and the punishment is working as a postman to deliver mails to every one in the country by only walking

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    GOOD! That's what XS needs to do to that spammer that hit this site.

Life's Replay
    Well, it's pocket change for good ol' Mark Zuckerberg. Aged 24 and has a net worth of 1.5 Billion dollars just because he founded some stupid social networking site.

On a relevant note, everybody come join the Xtremesystems Facebook group.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7820355&ref=mf
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    Well, it's pocket change for good ol' Mark Zuckerberg. Aged 24 and has a net worth of 1.5 Billion dollars just because he founded some stupid social networking site.

On a relevant note, everybody come join the Xtremesystems Facebook group.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7820355&ref=mf
    now, that sounded weird
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Guru
    LOL, easy solution to this, file for bankruptcy. Did the judge think the guy would actually pay?? if he had 800M he wouldnt be spamming, stupid judge.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    LOL, easy solution to this, file for bankruptcy. Did the judge think the guy would actually pay?? if he had 800M he wouldnt be spamming, stupid judge.
    You can't discharge awards of civil penalties in bankruptcy. For example.

Xtreme Mentor
    Whats the point of this penalty? Other than for it to reach headlines and scare any other potential spamers...

There is NO way anyone in their right mind would pay for any part of such an amount, EVER! Even if they had anywhere near that kind of money.

I would be like: Sure I'll pay $1Billion, why not---NOT! And then go to some 3rd world country and enjoy a few of my millions that I actually did earn but was smart enough to extract from the country while actually doing the crime!
    LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XS Janus View Post
    Whats the point of this penalty? Other than for it to reach headlines and scare any other potential spamers...

There is NO way anyone in their right mind would pay for any part of such an amount, EVER! Even if they had anywhere near that kind of money.

I would be like: Sure I'll pay $1Billion, why not---NOT! And then go to some 3rd world country and enjoy a few of my millions that I actually did earn but was smart enough to extract from the country while actually doing the crime!
    LOL!
    If by some miracle he did have the money, he would have no chance of taking that money out of the country.

Of course this is more about making the guy bankrupt and sets a precedent that if you get caught, they will take everything you have.
    Q9300 l 4GB DDR2 l HD 4850 l GA-X38-DQ6 l 2.5TB HD l VX550 l Dell S2409W l Vista X64

I am Xtreme
    pfft. I say flog him once a day for the rest of his life!
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Enthusiast

Floggin is to GOOD for Spamers

Lets stop messing about.

JUST HANG SPAMERS!
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Xtreme Member
    rofl heard this on the news.. funny .. their stuff got kinda annoyin though

Xtreme Cruncher
    Max Kelly, Facebook's security director, wrote on the official Facebook blog yesterday that it's unlikely the defendant could or will fork over the entire sum
    Are you serious, he doesnt have 873 million?

Xtreme Member
    A fair courtmarshal followed by being shot at dawn would of been a better sentence.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    I can't help but feel that such a ruling is some poor PR stunt to show that "yeah, failbook is now safe".

I know that this may sound like heresy to some but if the court ordered the guy to do 10 years of community service actually fighting spam we'd all be better of.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost101 View Post
    If by some miracle he did have the money, he would have no chance of taking that money out of the country.

Of course this is more about making the guy bankrupt and sets a precedent that if you get caught, they will take everything you have.
    Of course it's about that and the guy doesn't have the money...
    But the smart thing to do would have been to "export" some of the the money while they haven't caught you

I can't believe these kind of people! I mean look at it this way: you are an American and do crimes against American companies and you still live on American soil!!! H E L O!!!
    Move to Madagaskar or anywhere else, dude! They have internet there you know
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

It's about time they came down hard on these low lifes. I'd say find them all, fine them until they all go broke and use the money to revive the economy.

Ebay Hater
    They just ruined this mans life. The penalty is way out of proportion.

If you rape and pillage a small country, fair enough, ruin a mans life. But if you just spam around, that hardly warrants such a response.
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast