Thread: Anyone going to attempt to Hack a BIOS to allow SLI?

Xtreme Member

Anyone going to attempt to Hack a BIOS to allow SLI?

When NVIDIA was asked if they fear hacked BIOS's to allow SLI on other non-X58 chipsets they responded by saying it'll probably happened. So my question is, Is it hard to "trick" a BIOS update to change a current X48/X38 to look like an X58 so the new drivers will think you have a X58 and be able to run SLI on a X48/X58?

Any X58 motherboard maker can submit their board for certification, which will be done by NVIDIA. If the board passes, and the motherboard manufacturer agrees to pay a certification fee (NVIDIA would not reveal how much), then the board is certified and NVIDIA provides the board manufacturer with a key to place in its BIOS.

When you install the NVIDIA drivers, they check for the presence of this key in the BIOS - if it’s found, then you get the ability to enable SLI, natively, on X58. Note that this won’t work on any other Intel chipsets, just X58 for Nehalem owners this fall.
    It will be very interesting if it's possible. Sounds like some flag in the BIOS that the drivers look for before installing... Here's hoping for some X48/X38 love on SLI through the community.

Banned
    What's wrong with Nvidia marketing, I guess they don't like dough.

Xtreme Member
    From what I've read the X58 isn't really that much different from a X48? Once BIOS files for the X58 surface, it'll be just a matter of time someone finds the flag in the BIOS file that they can possible add to the same board that's an X48 and add it to the BIOS file. I persumed... Just wish NVIDIA would just allow it for ALL chipsets.