Page 2 of 352 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Picture of the Day

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogan View Post
    ANP that is an awesome shot. Do you mind telling me how you get such a great shot with ISO 800? Usually over ISO400 you get so much noise, but your shot came out really nicely. Anyway, its a new day, so here is my next pic :

Taken a few weekends ago along the Thames on a Saturday just after Guy Fawkes day. They had a nice fireworks display.
    Thanks man, I shoot RAW and apply a bit of noise reduction in Lightroom, it does a great job in getting rid of Noise. But Noise is not much of an issue with DSLRs, esp with D40, due to its small pixel count, it has great high ISO performance, The below pic is shot at ISO-1600, straight out of the camera JPEG, no noise reduction applied or PP.

Camera: Nikon D40
    ISO: 1600
    Shutter: 1/320sec
    Aperture: f/9
    Focal Length: 18mm
    Exposure Bias: -0.7 stop
    Lens: Nikkor 18 - 55mm VR DX AF-S
    Sound: Asus Essense ST | Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 | Norge 2060 Stereo amp | Wharfedale SW150 sub (coming soon)
    Camera Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 500D | Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 10-20EX HSM | Benro A3580F + Vanguard SBH250 | Bag full of filters and stuff

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ANP !!! View Post
    Thanks man, I shoot RAW and apply a bit of noise reduction in Lightroom, it does a great job in getting rid of Noise. But Noise is not much of an issue with DSLRs, esp with D40, due to its small pixel count, it has great high ISO performance, The below pic is shot at ISO-1600, straight out of the camera JPEG, no noise reduction applied or PP.

ISO: 1600
    Shutter: 1/320sec
    Aperture: f/9
    Exposure Bias: -0.7 stop
    Damn that is a great shot for 1600 iso! Surprised at how little noise there is! Thanks for the tip about Lightroom. I'll see what other noise reduction techniques I can find. Usually I just use a gaussian blur (small) / median / unsharp mask in PS...
    Last edited by Shogan; 11-25-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Dfine 2.0 is the best NR product I have found. It is a PS plugin. next best is Dx0 5.0 (this is does alot more than just NR)

Xtreme Mentor
    Canon 20D
    EF 24mm f/2.8

Xtreme Enthusiast
    D70s and 50 1.8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n691290034_4934573_2339.jpg 
Views:	1816 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	89687  
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Started life as a FTW and ended up as a WTF.

Xtreme Mentor
    Yugen, nice candid!

uncore challenged...
    Canon 20D
    Phoenix 100mm F/3.5 Macro
    EXIF still there

i don't quote in my signature, but best WR ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)
    i can't even make that shyt up ^^^

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer View Post
    Dfine 2.0 is the best NR product I have found. It is a PS plugin. next best is Dx0 5.0 (this is does alot more than just NR)
    Have you tried noise ninja?

Xtreme Addict
    Nice pics NateP, Yugen and 3oh6. Please care to post the ISO settings.
    Sound: Asus Essense ST | Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 | Norge 2060 Stereo amp | Wharfedale SW150 sub (coming soon)
    Camera Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 500D | Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 10-20EX HSM | Benro A3580F + Vanguard SBH250 | Bag full of filters and stuff

ODOC
    awesome picture Jody

keep nehaleming it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ANP !!! View Post
    Nice pics NateP, Yugen and 3oh6. Please care to post the ISO settings.
    400, the light was in my favour that day.

Xtreme Addict

ISO: 800
    Shutter: 1/1000sec
    Aperture: f/16
    Exposure Bias: 0 stop

Xtreme Member
    Wow, shots are looking awesome guys. Can someone please explain to me how to get that cool Depth of field effect? I know you need a large aperture (Low number) - I have tried on 2.8 which is lowest for my cam, but my Depth of field effect is never that "pronounced" enough. I can take close up shots of a flower for example, and then the background is reasonably blurry, but never blurry enough. For example the brick wall pic above - that is a nice depth of field effect. Do I need to zoom in, and then use the 2.8 aperture or what? Maybe its just my camera/lens...

Anyway here is my POD :

Camera : FujiFilm S6500fd
    ISO : 200
    Can't remember the rest of the settings, have them at home somewhere, but the exposure was a couple of seconds.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogan View Post
    Wow, shots are looking awesome guys. Can someone please explain to me how to get that cool Depth of field effect? I know you need a large aperture (Low number) - I have tried on 2.8 which is lowest for my cam, but my Depth of field effect is never that "pronounced" enough. I can take close up shots of a flower for example, and then the background is reasonably blurry, but never blurry enough. For example the brick wall pic above - that is a nice depth of field effect. Do I need to zoom in, and then use the 2.8 aperture or what? Maybe its just my camera/lens...
    I find that a lot of it has to do with how far you are from the subject.

EDIT: i.e. closer = better

EDIT2: big huge DSLR sensor helps too

Xtreme Mentor
    The brick shot above was shot at f/2.8. As Yugen said, the closer you are and the bigger the sensor the better. BTW, shot at ISO 100.

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by YugenM View Post
    I find that a lot of it has to do with how far you are from the subject.

EDIT: i.e. closer = better
    bang on the money...it all has to do with F/stop and the distance between you and the subject. with my Nehalem photo above, that is with a 100MM lens and i am only 2 inches away from the CPU (love macro lenses). the same goes with 300MM lenses. here are a couple football photos of mine from ages ago, but they are a good example of the difference in distance from the subject.

this first one is of action on the other side of the field. the background is barely blurred out and the subject isn't very isolated. the background is also really close to the subject which doesn't help.

this second photo is on the sideline that i am shooting from. the background is all blurred out, even the players relatively close to the subject.

both of these photos are with a 20D and 300mm lens at F/4, i don't know how P&S cameras work but if it truly is at F/2.8, getting a shallow depth of field shouldn't be hard. just get as close as the lens can focus and go from there. HTH
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)

Xtreme Member
    Thank you! That was a very good explanation, and the examples really helped I'll keep that in mind next time. I have a semi-DSLR camera, not true SLR, but not point and shoot either. It should be able to take some decent DOF pics provided I follow your suggestions Thanks for the answers to my post all...

Here's what I am using by the way :

Here's a shot I seem to have got it slightly right on- was very close to the subject using macro mode :

Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    both of these photos are with a 20D and 300mm lens at F/4, i don't know how P&S cameras work but if it truly is at F/2.8, getting a shallow depth of field shouldn't be hard. just get as close as the lens can focus and go from there. HTH
    F stop is only half of the equation with depth of field. A camera phone sensor with a F2.8 lens will not have a very shallow depth of field, whereas a large format sensor at F2.8 will have a paper thin DOF. essentially the larger the sensor at a particular F stop, the shallower the depth of field. This is partially why people are so excited by the Canon 5D, 1DS MK3, Nikon D3, and D700 because of their full frame (FX) sensors that allow for more shallow depths of field.

Xtreme Member

Camera: Nikon D80
    Focal Length:52mm
    Aparture: F/5
    Exposure:1/100 sec
    ISO:200

Mobo: Foxconn Bloodrage v1.0
    CPU: Core i7 920 (stock) + TRUE Black
    RAM: G.Skill NQ 3x1GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Graphics: EVGA e-GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SSC
    PSU: Corsair HX620
    Case: Antec 900
    Storage: Hitachi Deskstar (320GB), Samsung Spinpoint F1 (1TB)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223Q
    Sound: Sonar X-FI Audio
    Speakers: Logitech x230 2.1
    Screen: Samsung SyncMaster 226cw

Good shots guys.

As far as DoF goes - no one has mentioned focal length yet. Focal length and distance to subject matter more than almost anything else. The two other factors being sensor size and aperture. They all play important roles but you can get subject isolation even at f/16 at 300mm.

Easy proof that aperture isn't everything - look at macro shots. Even at f/10 and only 100mm the DoF is thin.
    Last edited by Soulburner; 11-26-2008 at 05:54 PM.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    Good shots guys.

As far as DoF goes - no one has mentioned focal length yet. Focal length and distance to subject matter more than almost anything else. The two other factors being sensor size and aperture. They all play important roles but you can get subject isolation even at f/16 at 300mm.

Easy proof that aperture isn't everything - look at macro shots. Even at f/10 and only 100mm the DoF is thin.
    This is true. One of the things I liked about my 70-300 is that it had good subject isolation despite being F6.3 at 300mm. My Tokina 11-16 on the other hand cant isolate subjects well at all even at F2.8, but it wasnt inteded for that.

Another factor is quality of the blurred area - which is primarily affected by having rounded aperture blades. The more of them, the smoother it is. The fewer, the harder the edges are. For example, you get "octagons" in the background instead of smooth circles.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    Another factor is quality of the blurred area - which is primarily affected by having rounded aperture blades. The more of them, the smoother it is. The fewer, the harder the edges are. For example, you get "octagons" in the background instead of smooth circles.
    mmm, buttery smooth bokeh is what it is all about...gotta love L action

here is another piece to my i7 puzzle that just came in today...

Canon 20D
    Phoenix 100mm F/3.5 Macro
    EXIF data is still with the image...

oh, and for those that like to look at EXIF data, if you use Firefox; this is a handy add-on:

http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/fxif/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fantastic shots guys.

Here's Wimpy; mah fish

Camera: Sony DSCP200
    Lighting: Tank lights/CF's - 6,700k
    Date: 11/02/06

feedin' time

Xtreme Member
    Camera: Canon XTi
    Lens: Canon EF-S 17-85

Page 2 of 352 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast