Page 334 of 352 FirstFirst ... 234284324331332333334335336337344 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,350 of 8785

Thread: Picture of the Day

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crustytheclown View Post
    enlighten me i'm a noob...
    Join the club

Download a free trial of Photoshop Lightroom 5
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    What's possibly a better shot of the same oil refinery:

http://500px.com/photo/61762747
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    ^ whilst I appreciate the oil/imagery I prefer the first shot
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Member

Lazy Sundays di Marco88it, su Flickr

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A new tool to use with the 70D arrived today! It's used and has obviously been well loved, but it works and that's what counts.

The nifty fifty is my first fast prime lens. Already, I love, love, love the bokehlicious backgrounds. Can't wait to have time to play with it more!

The depth of field flexibility is crazy. Here's a (very) quick test:

f/6.3

f/1.8

What fun lies ahead!
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 02-24-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

[XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

I heart gomeler!

Xtreme Addict
    Nice !!

I bought the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G as my 1st prime, very sharp but I've been using my 18-140mm zoom mostly due to it being so versatile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yea, my preferred solution would be something like a midrange zoom with f/2.8 constant throughout, but that's not in the budget; and a used lens with this kind of aperture that starts life at $125 is. Thanks to a helpful forum member at OCF (neonblingbling), this is also a try-before-you-buy scenario, so if it's not useful for me, I don't have to keep it...it will have been a rental for the price of two-way shipping.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

I heart gomeler!

NooB MOD
    Keep it. Everyone NEEDS a nifty fifty. It's my most used lens on all my cameras, film or digital
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Enthusiast
    We'll see how it treats me. I'm having fun so far though and haven't really even DONE anything.

For this evening's contribution, such that it is, I thought I'd post this here too. Most of the guys that post in here already know it, but for those that don't -or those that wander in here- maybe it can be useful in some small way. I was doing some testing today (unrelated center-point supposed 'issue' on the 70D with lenses faster than f/2.8 -see here- that doesn't really exist) and decided to actually make an example collage of what aperture really does to depth of field. f/1.8 is paper thin, especially at 50 mm (and above); in the example below it doesn't even get the full center crayon in focus. Most 'kit' lenses get to ~f/5.0-f/5.6 at 50 mm, so that was my next stop (heh, stop...get it?). Then I went to f/8 and f/11.

Remember though, everything is a trade-off when it comes to aperture, shutter speed & ISO. Larger apertures have thinner DoF, but let in a LOT more light. To show this as well, I set ISO manually and let the camera choose shutter speed. You can see just how much of a difference the apertures make without letting the camera raise the ISO.

Here is a full size version (warning, it's ~3MB).

I heart gomeler!

Administrator
    WOW that's pretty interesting, thanks for posting this.

I got my wife, for me also , a Cannon EOS Rebel T3 for Christmas and I am still a long ways from learning how to use it right. I use it mostly for my reviews.

I have a lot of problems with it on auto and getting the whole field in focus, but I think I can see by your example what I need to do.

Xtreme Addict
    Your full size linkage crashed my fox ???

Always a worthwhile contribution from you hokie, I've been doing something similar using different f/ for the same shot but no where near as enlightening/easy to comprehend as your crayons, thanks

I cant decide which one is the keeper ??, not really 'into' B&W as a rule but it sure does/can add 'something'

I wonder what the seagulls are lining up for

Last edited by alpha0ne; 02-26-2014 at 12:49 AM.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post

Always a worthwhile contribution from you hokie, I've been doing something similar using different f/ for the same shot but no where near as enlightening/easy to comprehend as your crayons, thanks

I cant decide which one is the keeper ??, not really 'into' B&W as a rule but it sure does/can add 'something'

Oh man, you missed such an opportunity there!
    You should've prone down on the ground and shoot from their eye level.
    It would make a huge difference, you'd be amazed to see how much of a difference changing your perspective there would do.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    WOW that's pretty interesting, thanks for posting this.

I got my wife, for me also , a Cannon EOS Rebel T3 for Christmas and I am still a long ways from learning how to use it right. I use it mostly for my reviews.

I have a lot of problems with it on auto and getting the whole field in focus, but I think I can see by your example what I need to do.
    The T3 is a nice camera, I used to have one.

A couple quick tips to make your photos pop -
    -The T3 tends to over-expose, especially in lower light. Mine stayed set at -1/3 to -2/3 eV all the time. In low light, that sometimes moved to -1 eV and even -1.3 eV, depending on the situation.
    -If you're using out of camera JPEGs (instead of processing RAWs yourself), use your user defined picture profiles. Set Sharpening to +6 in all of them**, then set them each to different levels of saturation. One 0, one 1 and one 2. The vast majority I used the Sharpening +6 and Saturation +1 profile. It will help your photos pop more than they probably do now.

**One caveat - you don't want to set that kind of sharpening if you're taking portraits that will be looked at by women with a fine-toothed comb. If you'll be doing a lot of people work, I'd ditch the +6/+2 profile and probably go with +2/0. For snapshots of people at family gatherings and the like, +6/0 is fine.

Lastly, if you do use aperture to adjust your depth of field, make sure you're on a tripod and set your ISO manually. It will very quickly raise to the highest automatic ISO when shrinking aperture, which can get noisy on the T3. Set ISO 100 or 200, put it on a tripod and let it choose the shutter speed. That way you won't have a noisy image, but still have the depth of field you want.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post

Thanks! If you still want to see it, try right-clicking & Save As if it's crashing trying to load the huge image in your browser. It's something like 8000px wide, to give you an idea.

As to your photo, I like the composition very much but BZ has a great point about getting down to their level, it would have had even more of an impact. Not sure whether I like color or B&W better though. It doesn't help you at all to choose one, but I think I like them both the same.
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 02-26-2014 at 05:39 AM.

I heart gomeler!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Oh man, you missed such an opportunity there!
    You should've prone down on the ground and shoot from their eye level.
    Agreed, I'll try to keep that in mind re perspective from now on

Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post

Thanks! If you still want to see it, try right-clicking & Save As if it's crashing trying to load the huge image in your browser. It's something like 8000px wide, to give you an idea.
    Thanks, I got it on the 2nd try

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Sad because he missed the train...

http://500px.com/photo/62368551

Xtreme Addict
    Sailing

Xtreme Addict
    BO ???

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    Keep it. Everyone NEEDS a nifty fifty. It's my most used lens on all my cameras, film or digital
    As an APS-C user, I've been changing my mind on this standard bit of wisdom.

I have a 16mm f/2, 17-50 f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.8 along with my 70-300. I'm actually planning on selling the 50 when Tamron updates their 60mm Macro with a better focus motor. 50 is too short for portraits on APS-C, and too long for a general walkaround. The 60 will become my macro/portrait lens, and the 17-50 will be the general purpose walkaround.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    One of the first few shots I've taken after I got my 70D last Dec. Lovin this camera so far, a steep step up from the 1000D.

Hightide and Sunset by Le ARchie, on Flickr
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This one's for Buckeye.

Here's a DoF test that makes things a little clearer (heh). The shamrock light is about 1.5' behind the bear and I'm about 2ft from the bear with the nifty fifty.

This is what happens when you don't have a chance to get out of the house and take photos...you get bored and start taking photos of random stuff. Happy St. Patrick's day!

I heart gomeler!

Xtreme Addict
    I didn't even notice the dolphins till I got home

spot the fins @ Flickr

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    kind of reminds me of this alpha

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    As an APS-C user, I've been changing my mind on this standard bit of wisdom.

I have a 16mm f/2, 17-50 f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.8 along with my 70-300. I'm actually planning on selling the 50 when Tamron updates their 60mm Macro with a better focus motor. 50 is too short for portraits on APS-C, and too long for a general walkaround. The 60 will become my macro/portrait lens, and the 17-50 will be the general purpose walkaround.
    Really? I used to use a Rokkor 85mm f/1.7 for portrait shots, which is very close to 50mm on APS-C (with the 1.6x crop factor, it's an 80mm equivalent).
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
    This one's for Buckeye.

Here's a DoF test that makes things a little clearer (heh). The shamrock light is about 1.5' behind the bear and I'm about 2ft from the bear with the nifty fifty.

This is what happens when you don't have a chance to get out of the house and take photos...you get bored and start taking photos of random stuff. Happy St. Patrick's day!
    HAHA I know this feeling all to well !!

Thanks man

Xtreme Addict
    Hahaha I wonder if he was bitten BZ

Didn't go out today, getting sick of the heat........nearly 3 months without a drop of rain and in the mid 30'sC here everyday so I did a reflection of me

Reflection @ Flickr

Page 334 of 352 FirstFirst ... 234284324331332333334335336337344 ... LastLast