Thread: Lighting Experts?

Xtreme Cruncher

Lighting Experts?

Any lighting experts here? I just acquired 4 Mercury Vapor ballasts + bulbs, and I was looking into swapping out the bulbs with something that has a better color temperature. It really only seems like the Metal Halides have the real selections when it comes to color temperature. I know mercury vapor bulbs can be run on metal halide ballasts, but can metal halide bulbs be run on mercury vapor ballasts?
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://members.misty.com/don/hidexp.html

Metal halides require a higher starting pulse. A mercury vapor ballast won't be able to start them.

How about a high pressure sodium mercury retrofit?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_47_boy View Post
    http://members.misty.com/don/hidexp.html

Metal halides require a higher starting pulse. A mercury vapor ballast won't be able to start them.

How about a high pressure sodium mercury retrofit?
    I got the ballasts w/reflectors and 4 extra bulbs for free. The problem is the bulbs seem to have quite a few hours on them. (240 Watts worth of 4ft florescent lights was able to easily over power one of the 400 watt mercury vapor bulbs).

Reading up, I could swap in Metal Halide ballast into the existing fixture (they are quite nice fixtures, with a very nice reflector), or just bite the bullet and buy some new Mercury Vapor bulbs and deal with that green-ish tinge.

These lights will be used in doors, so there is no way I will be tolerating the orange glow of high pressure sodium
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to