Thread: PCI pinout help!

PCI pinout help!

Alright, so it isnt quite a volt mod. Here is the rundown. I have 2 gigabyte I-RAMs. Now my new motherboard physically will not allow a I-RAM in the upper most pci slot because it gets in the way of the ram.

So, with that being said the I-RAM supposidly only uses the PCI bus for JUST power. However I am not certain as to what pin is which.
    My plan is to sacrifice an old PCI slot, chop it off the mother board, attach the apropriate wires to their specified pins to allow me to relocate the entire assembly.

Can some one point me in the right track?
    Images of the card, however i am unsure how to decypher the pins.
    FRONT

BACK
    AMD Opteron 165 Dual Core 1.8ghz @ *Still Overclocking*
    BFG 7600gt OC 256mb 580/725 @ *Still Overclocking*
    OCZ Gold EL pc4000 2x1gb 3-4-3-8 @ *Still Overclocking*
    DFI UT Ultra-D nForce4
    SB Audigy X-Gamer
    Lian-Li v2000b plus - Antec Phantom 350w
    DD RBX - DD Maze4 - DD Dual heatercore - 2x BIP - 490g/h pump
    InTomWeTrust on EOCF

I am Xtreme
    user IanB will know a bit about this iirc...
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Anyways after doing some more research I found that it seems like the only thing connected on the front side are two +5 volts at the end, pins B62 and B61
    On the back side are +12V at A2 and RESET at A15.
    What does RESET do? and shouldnt there be a ground?

Well i see where the ground is. Well actually they are many. all the points that it sticks out, B3, B15, B17 etc. they stick out and attach to the board and get grounded from there.

So far so good. now to salvage an old PCI slot from an old motherboard. and to figure out what RESET at a15 means.

Another edit:
    Chopped up a PCI slot from an old mobo, wired up the +5V, the 12V and grounded from one side.
    the lights on the iram ligh up when the system is on, but not a residual light thats on the side for the battery getting charged. The MoBo doesn't reconize the i-ram.
    i only grounded one of the sides of the card, the B side. i suppose i should change it and do it on the A side aswell.
    Also i used just a molex for the +12v and plus +5, now those shut off once the computer is off, but i believe through the PCI slot they are on aslong as the psu is plugged in. The wires from the 24pin mobo plug should have a constant on 12V and 5V right?
    AMD Opteron 165 Dual Core 1.8ghz @ *Still Overclocking*
    BFG 7600gt OC 256mb 580/725 @ *Still Overclocking*
    OCZ Gold EL pc4000 2x1gb 3-4-3-8 @ *Still Overclocking*
    DFI UT Ultra-D nForce4
    SB Audigy X-Gamer
    Lian-Li v2000b plus - Antec Phantom 350w
    DD RBX - DD Maze4 - DD Dual heatercore - 2x BIP - 490g/h pump
    InTomWeTrust on EOCF

any news?

i see on my i-ram 3 pins goes to pci bus: +12v +5v and reset, right?
    but where did you found the ground?
    Last edited by Evgen; 01-03-2010 at 03:07 AM.

IT Engineer in the making
    Check if the reset pins are directly connected on all pci slots.
    Could be that the card is in constant reset state if you don't connect the reset-pin/-signal.

If the reset pins all are connected, just get a cable from one of the other slots and connect that to your card. That could work. And be sure to provide enough ground connections. Keeps the system stable.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Member
    Just an alternative:
    why not to just buy a PCI slot extender?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol thread necro Evgen
    if you want a sure fire way of doing it buy two PCI risers like the one in the attachment, they're pretty cheap,
    solder a wire from the back of one to the back of the other for all the pins that are connected on the I-RAM
    (looks like 34 total, you'd probably want a multimeter to find out which pins are which, but if you don't have
    one you could make a simple circuit with a battery + lightbulb that'd do the same thing), plug one of them
    into a PCI slot and the I-RAM into the other one
    Attached Images Attached Images

what if i don't have a pci slot
    how this will help me?

Xtreme Member
    TiN figured out how it's done. Link >> http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgen View Post
    how this will help me?
    theres a PCIEx1 to PCI adapter - but it costs a pretty penny
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgen View Post
    how this will help me?
    ok, can still be done
    get a PCI riser, and a power connector for a sata power cable (like in the thread bluemeanie
    linked, you might need to chop up a hard drive, or you could chop up the sata power
    cable itself, or you could buy a sata power extender like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/a69gn.jpg
    and chop it up). solder all the power pins on the pci riser (ground, 3.3 and 12v), except the
    5 volt ones - you need to leave these powered to stop the IRAM from losing its memory.

i think you can get permanent 5V from the 5V pin on a USB header on the motherboard,
    as power is still provided to USB devices while computer is off. well you should probably
    test this before you start. it is the same as the purple wire on the main power connector
    http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml

pinouts like this would be useful http://pinouts.ru/Slots/PCI_pinout.shtml if you haven't already found one

TiN (in the thread bluemeanie linked) also mentioned using a "magic resistor" to pull up the reset pin -
    i'm pretty sure that means he'd connect that pin to a voltage through a relatively high resistance,
    and i'm pretty sure that voltage would be 5V, but you might want to register on that forum and pm him to check.
    according to the pinout i just linked a15 is reset, while b15 on the other side of the card is ground,
    but the description further down the page 'describes' b15 as reset, so it might be that a15 is 5V and
    you need to connect it through a resistor to ground
    Last edited by hollo; 01-31-2010 at 04:38 AM.