Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GotGame Launches Rogue, The First In-Game Web Browser

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thumbs up GotGame Launches Rogue, The First In-Game Web Browser

GotGame Launches Rogue, The First In-Game Web Browser
    November 21, 2008, 9:00 AM

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- GotGame, the company that enables gamers to access the in-game content they desire, today launched Rogue, its highly anticipated web browser.

Gamers spend a quarter of their time in game waiting for teammates to log in or games to load. They want something to do during this downtime, but exiting or minimizing the game means missing critical action.

Rogue eliminates this waiting game, enabling PC gamers to surf the web via a fully functional web browser without ever leaving their favorite games. Players can navigate to Wowhead to obtain information about items in World of Warcraft, or pull up Hulu to watch movie clips between Counter-Strike rounds; these are just two of the countless options available.

In order to use Rogue, gamers simply visit rogue.gotgame.com and download the free application. By hitting a hotkey, users can overlay the application in their favorite games; the browser will appear as though it were a part of the game itself, without disrupting any in-game functionality.

You can see a video of Rogue in action on YouTube or GotGame Videos.

The application is optimized to impact the gaming experience as little as possible. Gamers can set the browser's transparency setting so the entire game screen is still visible, even if the browser is open. This means that they can, for instance, watch online videos overlaying their game at 50% transparency, while at the same time "grinding" for experience in Age of Conan.

Rogue's Notable Features:
    -- Game overlay for Windows XP & Vista
    -- Full CSS, Javascript, and Flash support
    -- Hot key to open/hide browser when in game
    -- Configurable transparency settings
    -- Optimization toggle for faster/slower computers

About GotGame

GotGame enables gamers to access the content and community they crave through a variety of in-game applications and Internet content portals. Through the LIVE and Rogue downloadable applications, GotGame offers gamers advanced communication, browser, and content delivery tools they can use inside of the most popular PC games. GotGame also operates the GotGame Network, which includes one of the most exciting gaming video-sharing sites (videos.gotgame.com), a widely-read gaming news site (news.gotgame.com), and the largest syndicated radio show about gaming in the world (radio.gotgame.com).

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRe...4930576&EDATE=
    Last edited by AuDioFreaK39; 11-21-2008 at 01:34 PM.
    EVGA X58 SLI Classified E759 Limited Edition
    Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X Gulftown six-core
    Thermalright TRUE Copper w/ 2x Noctua NF-P12s (push-pull)
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified [Quad-SLI]
    6GB Mushkin XP Series DDR3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20
    SilverStone Strider ST1500 1500W
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 240GB 1.0GB/s PCI-Express SSD
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional / Logitech G51 5.1 Surround
    SilverStone Raven RV02
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Xtreme Addict
    I was Waiting for Steam to do something like this pretty cool but I wonder how the browser is
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

Xtreme Addict
    awesome! i've wanted something like that ever since i was sitting in a game and couldn't remember some specific console commands. just google it ingame! gotta check this out.
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

I am Xtreme
    I hope this supports quite a few games and not just WOW, etc. Now all I need is an in-game MSN messenger and I'll be set

Xtreme Addict
    Adware bundle free "Pro" version coming soon!
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    if my internet didnt suck, I would use this as i play cs:s..
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Cruncher Support:
    Utnorris
    DarthBeavis
    DEFRANCO NATION

E6600- Asus striker Extreme-2 x 750gb- Igloo 5710- 8800gt- antec 850w Quatro- 4gb DDR2 800- Antec 1200- 24/7 cruncher

**Wishes for a dual- quad core cruncher **

So... What's the difference between this and running a game in windowed mode and tabbing to a normal web browser?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramner View Post
    So... What's the difference between this and running a game in windowed mode and tabbing to a normal web browser?
    You don't have to run windowed...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    You don't have to run windowed...
    ...which from what Ive seen affects performance more than fullscreen, and some games don't run well in windowed mode (like out of bound cursors, and switching between apps). Plus, the stuff around the window is a bit distracting and ruins the atmosphere IMO.

I just wonder if this browser will in any way affects performance or uses a lot of memory. Maybe browsers like FireFox could ge plugins that can do this in the future.
    Last edited by Turok; 11-21-2008 at 07:46 PM.

I hope this supports quite a few games and not just WOW, etc. Now all I need is an in-game MSN messenger and I'll be set
    just use meebo.com
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

I am Xtreme
    Don't like the supported list. Not much for single player game support (I hate alt-tabbing out of a game).

Xtreme Member
    EVE-Online has had a built in browser since release (2003). This is not first in game browser by a longshot.

Core 2 Duo(Conroe) was based on the Intel Core Duo(Yonah) which was based on the Pentium M(Banias) which was based on the Pentium III(Coppermine).

Core 2 Duo is a Pentium III on meth.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
    EVE-Online has had a built in browser since release (2003). This is not first in game browser by a longshot.
    +1 the EVE ingame browser sucks, but it's been in the game since 2003.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well I guess for boring games it would be a good addition but for other meh...
    Before you complain about lag, think about Jesus. He lagged three days before respawning.

Xtreme Addict
    Alt+tab twice takes like 0,5 seconds unless one is RAM bound. Looks nice though, but at least I'd rather alt+tab than use external software running on the BG(other than firefox. :p) to let me browse www.

Xtreme Addict
    Nowadays almost any game lets you play in windowed mode too, so you don't even need to Alt+tab.

Why use a crippled browser?. I don't think this will be as good as Firefox or Opera.
    i7 2600k @4500 | Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 | Gskill 2x4096Mb 2133Mhz | 4x2TB WD Green RAID10 | OCZ Vertex3 120Gb | 2x AMD 6950 @ Stock
    Benq 24" TN | Samsung LE46C630 "2nd" Monitor | Enermax NAXN ENP850EWT | Corsair 800D Case | Corsair H60 | Logitech G9x + Wireless Solar K750

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzfest05 View Post
    I was Waiting for Steam to do something like this pretty cool but I wonder how the browser is
    there's a way with steam to do the same need to edit something in a file and then you can browse while ingame etc

Last edited by redrumy3; 11-22-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    wow, what a solution for boring games!
    the ability to not play the game while playing the game!
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grimREEFER View Post
    It's always stunned me how people not only play games so boring that they need to watch movies and browse the web while playing them, but even pay subscription fees to do so.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by masterg View Post
    just use meebo.com
    +1 on meebo.com
    There's also Xfire, but you can only chat between Xfire members though.

Quote Originally Posted by redrumy3 View Post
    there's a way with steam to do the same need to edit something in a file and then you can browse while ingame etc

Does this work with any game?
    Is it only possible with IE?

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Turok View Post
    +1 on meebo.com
    There's also Xfire, but you can only chat between Xfire members though.

Does this work with any game?
    Is it only possible with IE?
    Its steam. It is not game dependent.

If someone would program a firefox overlay that'd be even better...

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    I tested Rogue out last night. It is a shocker, chews up loads of resources. My CPU usage (E8400@3.9GHz) was constantly at 100% when I was playing WoW with Rogue running, FPS dropped to 31. Closed Rogue and my CPU usage dropped to 40 - 50%, FPS went back up to 60.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A.D.D. much
    we going shh around the corner

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by grimREEFER View Post
    No, it's good for online games For instance when you're playing CoD4 Search and Destroy and die early in the round

I used to ALT+TAB very often back in the days when I was an active CoD-Player.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    No, it's good for online games For instance when you're playing CoD4 Search and Destroy and die early in the round

I used to ALT+TAB very often back in the days when I was an active CoD-Player.
    Yeah and while your searching :banana::banana::banana::banana:, Punkbuster is happily taking screenshots.

Bad idea this, you will end up with no end of problems when PB cant take a screen shot of the game, or your browsing some private forum and it snaps the info in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast