Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: PCPER.com: 5 GHZ+ Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice, 6Ghz on LN2

Hybrid View

I am Xtreme

PCPER.com: 5 GHZ+ Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice, 6Ghz on LN2

Today AMD was showing off its upcoming desktop Phenom II processor to a handful of journalists, and one of the main topics of the presentation is the "headroom" that AMD is building into the Phenom II processor.

The die shot of the 45 nm Phenom II. 2 MB of L2 (512 KB per core) and 6 MB of L3 shared makes this an interesting part from the CPU underdog. Throw in some serious refinements to the underlying Phenom architecture, and suddenly AMD has a chip that can much more adequately compete with what Intel has out there currently (and upcoming).

As we all know, the Phenom II will be AMD's second 45 nm part (the first is officially the Shanghai server part) that is scheduled to hit Q1 09. This heavily redesigned processor based on the Phenom architecture has already showed some significant per clock performance gains over the older Barcelona product, and AMD considers this to be their best design ever in terms of performance, functionality, and eventual clockspeed. The first desktop products are expected to hit 3 GHz at the top end, but AMD has been hinting that the Phenom IIs can do a lot more in the hands of an enthusiast.

The first leaks were that the Phenom II could hit 4 GHz on air cooling alone, though we obviously wonder how extreme that air cooling is. Well today AMD had some actual demonstrations at their gathering, and the Phenom II was able to hit 5 GHz at 1.6v by using dry ice cooling. Dry ice is CO2, and it goes directly from solid to gas (sublimation) at a temperature of -109.3 F (-78.5C for the rest of the world) at 1 atmosphere. So with some pretty extreme cooling (non-LN) the Phenom II does show that it has some legs in the clockspeed department.

A typical dry ice setup. A liquid such as acetone or strong rubbing alcohol is used to immerse the dry ice, as these liquids freeze well below the 109.3F that dry ice sublimates at. Proper ventilation is required as the volume of CO2 that is released can quickly create a hazardous situation in a small room with poor air circulation.

The original Barcelona is a 65 nm part and really the first of its architecture. Since its release and the subsequent shuffling around of design teams, AMD has refocused their energy on delivering a design that would not only have a better per clock performance than the older part, but allow the design to scale in clockspeed on AMD's new 45 nm process. So far what we have seen shows that AMD has done very well. While the 3.0 GHz Phenom II will likely not perform anywhere near that of the new 3.2 GHz Intel i7, it will show very well against the older Intel Core 2 quads. Not only that, but we will see how AMD scales clockspeed in the future, as well as how they handle DDR-3 support early next year. With AMD's constant process improvement program, and tweaks to the Phenom II design that we typically see in the manufacturing stage, AMD could theoretically have a 3.4 to 3.6 GHz processor at moderate TDP levels (think 125 watts) that would more adequately perform against the mighty i7 within the next 8 months.

The big question is if AMD wants to pursue a clockspeed battle with Intel. I believe that AMD is holding their cards close to their chest in this case, and by not releasing a Phenom II faster than 3.0 GHz, they are not provoking Intel into a costly clockspeed battle. But when Intel releases faster parts next year, we can bet that AMD will have an answer for it at every step. I do not believe that AMD wants to get back the performance crown at this time, namely because they do not have a design that is head and shoulders above what Intel currently has. So they are content to be 2nd best, and keep Intel in sight in terms of performance and features. This way they can continue to carve a niche out for themselves and offer products that may appeal to enthusiasts, home entertainment, and gaming consumers. All the while keeping their manufacturing costs reasonable by not engaging in a clockspeed battle with Intel, which would only result in lower ASPs for both companies (something that AMD can not afford to do).

So AMD is pushing the "headroom" feature, which will appeal to enthusiasts and gamers. But they are also keeping TDP down as much as possible to attract regular desktop users as well as those who are interested in cool and quiet systems (underclockers, HTPC segment). Getting 5 GHz out of a processor which features 700 million transistors + is no small feat, even when using dry ice. Enthusiasts have already taken the i7 to 5.7 GHz+ on LN, and it will be interesting to see what these folks will be able to do with the Phenom II when it arrives.

For now, we have to sit and wait for the Phenom II to hit the market. Intel certainly needs the competition, and this product might just deliver enough of it to keep things interesting.

Update: The Phenom II reached 6 GHz+ at 1.9v on liquid nitrogen (boiling point -321F/-196C at 1 atm). Testing looks to have been done on a Gigabyte 790GX motherboard that is currently available.

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=6455

That's far from believable, who is this Josh Walrath, the author, guy?
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Admin
    If it could actually scale going cold, 5 GHz on DI isn't that unreasonable...even 3 years ago they were getting close to 4GHz on dry ice on 90nm. It something that shouldn't be outlandish, but just sounds crazy based on the fact that we haven't seen AMD's speeds on extreme cooling increase for years.

Xtreme Addict
    A phenom at 6ghz ill believe when I see it
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

Xtreme Mentor
    great new really.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Banned
    Please LORD let it be true!!

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Zucker2k View Post
    Please LORD let it be true!!
    i am sooo with you on this one man
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Addict
    If this is true... Than WOW!!!

I like Intel. They make good stuff and develop a lot of innovations.
    But I'm so tired of watching AMD just get kicked into the dirt over and
    over. They just can't compete lately...

Hopefully Deneb/Shnghi turn out as well as it sounds. i7 is interesting, but
    I need some AMD clocking back on XS. Nothing better than a little healthy
    competition.

Xtreme Addict
    TechReport is singing the same song tho' http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15927
    Crosshair IV Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7G
    6950~>6970 @ 900/1300
    4 x 2G Ballistix 1333 CL6
    C300 64G
    Corsair TX 850W
    CM HAF 932

Xtreme Member
    Has also been confirmed by a member from the forum I visit:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...83&postcount=1

As well as Legit Reviews:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/836/1/

With AMD's constant process improvement program
    Oh wow, something new. This should be the real story.

Enthusiasts have already taken the i7 to 5.7 GHz+ on LN
    "no pictures"

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=156932

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post

"no pictures"

Let me get this right,you are actually claiming this is pure marketing and 4 and 5Ghz OCs are not possible in any way?Can i quote you on this later?(January time frame)

This time around systems were open case,you could see the chips,you could play with them(5Ghz one run Crysis for what it's worth).All systems,apart the 6Ghz,were apparently stable and were running Crysis game code with no problems or stability issues.The temperatures of the air cooled chip was really great(low),standing at 32 degrees C.This proves chip is very good at handling high volts and handles heat very well.

The people who were present at the demo were from: legit reviews,techreport,AMDzone,pcper,hothardware,fudzi lla.If anyone else knows more please post.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    The people who were present at the demo were from: legit reviews,techreport,AMDzone,pcper,hothardware,fudzi lla.If anyone else knows more please post.
    Easy dude, easy. First of all, pics or it didn't happen. Then we can discuss how great this is
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    Easy dude, easy. First of all, pics or it didn't happen. Then we can discuss how great this is
    Lol why easy,what was wrong with my post?

Anyhow pics can be found here(pics of system being tested):

As Nathan Kirsch from Legit reviews said in one post,AMD is currently limiting the amount of information that can be presented without NDA.So they pulled back the report of 6Ghz LN2 run(which we know happened from other sources at techreport etc.).

If you are looking for "harder" proof as CPUz validation links or similar,you'll have to wait a bit longer,cca one month.
    For what is worth,all systems apart the 6+Ghz one were running Crysis without any problems.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Lol why easy,what was wrong with my post?

Anyhow pics can be found here(pics of system being tested):
    You were more excited than usual

And the pics... they don't mean anything. Wait for the numbers and validations. I really hope that this is true though
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    Not bullet-proof evidence but fudkut, PCP, Hexus and legitreview all say this based on what they've seen with there own eyes.

And there are pics:

Quote Originally Posted by Hexus
    From what we saw, Deneb isn't shaping up to be a Core i7-killer, it's not imbued with the necessary architectural chutzpah to do that, but there's enough MHz oomph under the hood, it seems, to bring AMD's upcoming CPUs back into the minds of the value-conscious enthusiast.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Addict
    Macci is ridding

And to think Deneb is lauching right after my birthday
    Crosshair IV Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7G
    6950~>6970 @ 900/1300
    4 x 2G Ballistix 1333 CL6
    C300 64G
    Corsair TX 850W
    CM HAF 932

Xtreme Mentor
    These are pics of what? Running at what speed? Please numbers and confirmation, not a picture of a 790FX mobo with a dice pot on it

Xtreme Addict
    The 6 GHz statement have changed:
    Update: The Phenom II reached WELL over 5.x GHz (read: REALLY over) at 1.9v on liquid nitrogen (boiling point -321F/-196C at 1 atm). Testing looks to have been done on a Gigabyte 790GX motherboard that is currently available.

Xtreme Mentor

"no pictures"

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/15927

They were using Crysis to test stability.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Banned

Why so skeptical, Charles? It's entirely possible.

Xtreme Addict
    This has been known since 90nm: this program was responsible for the huge jump in clock speeds from 2.5GHz to 2.8+GHz for AMD Athlon 64 X2s.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy

"no pictures"

Damn , Charles no disrespect intended but you are sounding as cynical as Shintai & Donnie
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    Damn , Charles no disrespect intended but you are sounding as cynical as Shintai & Donnie
    *bam* there goes the thread to hell.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    *bam* there goes the thread to hell.
    Ah Yes I forgot to add you to the list you are another kill joy as well
    Thanks for keeping me on track
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Addict
    oh happy day

Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast