Thread: Phase Change Cooler

Phase Change Cooler

I found a GE GXCF05D water dispencer. Would it be possible to build a Vapor Phase Change Cooler out of it? How much work would it take to modify it for use in a PC? Thanks.

Xtreme Addict
    It's not as easy as putting together a watercooling setup. Read the stickies and search for "worklog" or "DIY" or "my build" and things of that nature to do a little research and when you have specific questions ask them and I guarantee you will get more responses.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockit00 View Post
    I found a GE GXCF05D water dispencer. Would it be possible to build a Vapor Phase Change Cooler out of it? How much work would it take to modify it for use in a PC? Thanks.
    mostly it has around a 1/20th HP compressor so no, your best bet is to find a cheap window A/C unit, anything over 5000BTU should work just fine

Hey Guys, Thanks for your response. I've been having the forgot-my-password blues! I dismantled my chilled water dispenser and removed the compressor and tubing intact. I turned the unit on and the compressor never responded. I can't see wasting more time on that project. I'm O.K. with aircooling.

Xtreme Member
    How do you know that it didn't respond? Did you have a pressure gauge hooked up?

It's just that compressors that small can't be heard at all. So if you were listening to hear it start, they say nothing. If you touch it, you can feel some very small vibrations.
    OCTeamDenmark.com Crew
    Cooled and sponsored by Coolerkit.dk

CPU: E8600 @ 4000 MHz
    Mobo: Biostar Tpower I45
    RAM: 2*2 GB OCZ PC-6400 @ 800 MHz 4-4-4-12
    GFX: Zotac GTX280

Quote Originally Posted by Duzter View Post
    How do you know that it didn't respond? Did you have a pressure gauge hooked up?

It's just that compressors that small can't be heard at all. So if you were listening to hear it start, they say nothing. If you touch it, you can feel some very small vibrations.
    I didn't have a pressure gauge. I plugged it in and felt for vibrations and there were none. There were two switches and three LED's on the unit. One switch for hot water. One switch for cold water. One LED for power (Green) which came on when I plugged the unit in. One LED for hot water (Red) which came on when I turned on the hot water switch. One LED for for cold water (white) which would not come on when I turned on the cold water switch. I tried the switches for a while and the compressor never vibrated and the copper tubing never changed in temperature. The whole unit had been dropped from a considerable height when it was discarded. It had landed upside down hard enough to bend one of the metal side panels. That probably damaged the compressor.