Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft DirectX11 Screenshots

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by makaka View Post
    Currently even the most powerful video card has some serious problem running cryis warhead , so nothings to say about the last three pictures

Xtreme Addict
    I like the 3rd pic in the OP.

Ummm, should I take the red one? Or the Blue One?

Xtreme Addict
    While I generally can't stand posting in threads where 90% of the posts are smack talking and incessant complaining I'll give this one a shot.

DirectX10 has for one thing shown it can make a difference, take memory usage for example. For a game rendering in DirectX9 total system memory usage is Game System Memory consumption + Game Video Memory consumption, why you might ask? Simply because DirectX9 requires a clone of video memory to be stored in system memory, which requires a lot of copying memory back and forth across the system bus which is hardly efficient and increases the chances of corrupt textures etc. Take a game running in DirectX10, Crysis is a great example, if the game is using say 700mb VRAM, then simply the system memory usage is 700mb less rendering in DX10 than its DX9 counterpart. For people who complain so much about Vista's heavy memory usage it seems ironic that you all call how great DirectX9 still is because it renders faster with less efficiency and yet consuming a heap more memory...It's ridiculously hypocritcal.

DirectX11 so far from what I've seen will bring about programming interoperability across the board for all GPU's, a common programming language model called Compute Shader that all the GPU manufactures will be required to abide by if they want to sell DirectX11 enabled GPUs. So you ask what good does this do me? Well for one it means that instead of things being written for custom compilers and C derivatives such as CUDA which will only work on Nvidia cards, now once ported to Compute Shader Language the same app will work across the board on any DX11 certified card. This is a huge leap, and I applaud Microsoft for taking such strong action to force manufacturers to get their heads out of the sand and to start helping developers out instead of just making their lifes so much harder having to learn more and more languages and derivatives that will end up vanishing sooner or later.

DFI LT-X48-T2R UT CDC24 Bios | Q9550 E0 | G.Skill DDR2-1066 PK 2x2GB |
    Geforce GTX 280 729/1566/2698 | Corsair HX1000 | Stacker 832 | Dell 3008WFP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    looks like raytracing to me.

Raytraced:

DX11:
    Thermaltake Armor Series Black
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
    Q6600 3.6 GHZ Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    4 GB Corsair XMS2 w/ OCZ XTX Ram Cooler 2 x 60mm
    9800GT 512MB
    18X Pioneer DVD-RW Burner
    720 Watt Enermax Infiniti
    4x640GB RAID 10
    Windows 7

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyakame View Post
    While I generally can't stand posting in threads where 90% of the posts are smack talking and incessant complaining I'll give this one a shot.

DirectX10 has for one thing shown it can make a difference, take memory usage for example. For a game rendering in DirectX9 total system memory usage is Game System Memory consumption + Game Video Memory consumption, why you might ask? Simply because DirectX9 requires a clone of video memory to be stored in system memory, which requires a lot of copying memory back and forth across the system bus which is hardly efficient and increases the chances of corrupt textures etc. Take a game running in DirectX10, Crysis is a great example, if the game is using say 700mb VRAM, then simply the system memory usage is 700mb less rendering in DX10 than its DX9 counterpart. For people who complain so much about Vista's heavy memory usage it seems ironic that you all call how great DirectX9 still is because it renders faster with less efficiency and yet consuming a heap more memory...It's ridiculously hypocritcal.

DirectX11 so far from what I've seen will bring about programming interoperability across the board for all GPU's, a common programming language model called Compute Shader that all the GPU manufactures will be required to abide by if they want to sell DirectX11 enabled GPUs. So you ask what good does this do me? Well for one it means that instead of things being written for custom compilers and C derivatives such as CUDA which will only work on Nvidia cards, now once ported to Compute Shader Language the same app will work across the board on any DX11 certified card. This is a huge leap, and I applaud Microsoft for taking such strong action to force manufacturers to get their heads out of the sand and to start helping developers out instead of just making their lifes so much harder having to learn more and more languages and derivatives that will end up vanishing sooner or later.
    Funny, DX10 always seemed less memory efficient than DX9. On my limited 320MB card, DX9 games were much better about keeping the memory usage in check than DX10 games that routinely overflowed the VRAM with data. The result is my framerate would cut out in half, or worse. I always attributed that with the unified memory architecture.

Also while the computer shader is a novel idea, from what I've heard it's by no means an end-all unified application programming model for GPUs. It's meant more to augment existing functionality like CUDA than replace it, namely within games.
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Phenom II X4 955 BE (1003GPMW) @ 3.8GHz (19x200) w/1.36v
    -cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 + AC MX-2
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
    8GB PC2-6400 G.Skill @ 800MHz (1:2) 5-5-5-15 w/1.8v
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 Barracuda
    Corsair HX620W

Support PC gaming. Don't pirate games.

Xtreme Mentor
    4 words: real-time global illumination
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    Finally, the HDR lighting looks realistic!!! For long enough, HDR lighting/bloom has ruined the graphics of some games. DiRT had excessive HDR dynamics, Far Cry 1 had excessive bloom glare on character skins, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by therightway View Post
    For all the eye candy that games have, it is still very fake once you start moving around the environment. your sense of immersion is ruined when you learn that your freedom of movement is restricted to walk, run, jump. We can do more things like crawl, roll, etc in real life. You find that doors cannot be opened or blasted even though you carry a rocket launcher as a weapon. You see leaves on a tree as static without movement. The ground feels flat with no texture.

I would give up alot in graphics quality if the physics is improved. Games are dynamic and physics becomes very important when you have movement.
    Roger that, man! It's pretty hard to do more complicated movements with just a keyboard/mouse. I have invented a concept that greatly encourages a far more intuitive and unlimited control interface. PhysX and the use of multiple CPU cores is certainly encouraging this also.

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Addict

Not bad, but the cement looks way too porous, eh? The stairs look fine to me, but it just doesnt look right on the left wall.

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercat View Post
    I hope it's only slightly less misleading than their DX10 shots!

to be honest that looks like crap, aside from...maybe...the water.

I dont know why you think that pic is misleading. That pretty much looks like it could be done in the source engine, aside from the water, and even the water just looks like a slightly more detailed/improved version of Crysis's water.

in all honesty, taht pic reminds me of that source game coming out, with better water. whats it called? Alan Wake...thats it.

Mountain looks like crap, trees look like crap, skybox is very noticeable and it even looks possible that the background is in the skybox. I would say DX10 turned out about like that pic. DX9 could render that.
    Last edited by Decami; 11-19-2008 at 12:26 AM.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post

Not bad, but the cement looks way too porous, eh? The stairs look fine to me, but it just doesnt look right on the left wall.
    agreed, looks good though. To be honest. If you look real deep into these, you will see that your first glimpse is deceiving you, these are not all the complicated of renders, aside from the lighting and shadow, lighting and shadow are crazy awesome. If thats real time...wow.

You know, its not hard for me to beleive these were rendered with DX11, god knows what fps and what not, but I believe them.

Also what some of you dont understand is....These photos are not released to show you how games will look with DX11. They ARE NOT saying "hey look, all games will look like this" NO. These are photos rendered with some pretty awesome hardware just showing you the CAPABILITIES of DX11. Obviously games have to be scaled to run on lower end comps and for teh game to run smooth and everything else that goes with game design. So obviously games wont look like this, these are reference renders showing, again, CAPABILITIES of DX11.
    Last edited by Decami; 11-19-2008 at 12:38 AM.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Xtreme Member

If this shot is rendered at 25+ fps its quite impressive. If its not, I've seen much much better shot rendered in OpenGL
    C2Q QX6800@ 3.75GHz (375x10 - 1.450v) - L725A - G0
    4GB PC2-5300 Kingston Micron D9@ 3-4-4-10 750MHz 1:1
    Asus P5E-Deluxe - no mods
    eVGA 9600gso G92 + XFX 8500 GT (physics)
    H4ck3d-Slackware 11.0
    kernel-2.6.22.1@MCORE2 Arch Optimized

Xtreme Addict
    I only got one word for you all.... FROBLINS
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz View Post
    5/10 years?!

Let's see, 5 years ago we had this:

(Unreal II - 2003)

and now we have this:
    (FarCry 2 - 2008)

It won't take another 5 years to get to the 1st post pics' level. I'd say the next generation of home consoles will be able to do it in 1280*720 with 4xAA, and those are only 2-3 years away. PCs will do it before that timeframe. I bet that a pair of RV870s will do those in realtime.

And 10 years... no one knows where we'll be by that time... 10 years ago we were looking at this:

(SiN - modified Quake 2 Engine 1998)

So I'd say 2 years timeframe (Q4 2010) is quite a possible timeframe for those graphics on mid-high end pcs.
    They wont. Those CGI renders take many hours to render and sometimes days. Look on cgtalk to see how long it takes them to render their high quality scenes and thats how long those will take. We are not going to have lighting in games that good for a good 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Decami View Post
    agreed, looks good though. To be honest. If you look real deep into these, you will see that your first glimpse is deceiving you, these are not all the complicated of renders, aside from the lighting and shadow, lighting and shadow are crazy awesome. If thats real time...wow.

You know, its not hard for me to beleive these were rendered with DX11, god knows what fps and what not, but I believe them.

Also what some of you dont understand is....These photos are not released to show you how games will look with DX11. They ARE NOT saying "hey look, all games will look like this" NO. These are photos rendered with some pretty awesome hardware just showing you the CAPABILITIES of DX11. Obviously games have to be scaled to run on lower end comps and for teh game to run smooth and everything else that goes with game design. So obviously games wont look like this, these are reference renders showing, again, CAPABILITIES of DX11.
    What do you mean "its" capabilities? We have been able to produce renders like that for 10 years, why is that cgi render any more impressive?
    Last edited by Cold Fussion; 11-19-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fussion View Post
    They wont. Those CGI renders take many hours to render and sometimes days. Look on cgtalk to see how long it takes them to render their high quality scenes and thats how long those will take. We are not going to have lighting in games that good for a good 5-10 years.

What do you mean "its" capabilities? We have been able to produce renders like that for 10 years, why is that cgi render any more impressive?
    Isn't the point though that renders are 'done right' which is why they take so long. The progres of game graphics has been about taking short cuts to make it look almost right, but render in a fraction of the time. I'm sure you could find ways to get pictures 99% as good looking as those in the OP but rendered much quicker just by taking some suitable short cuts.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would'nt say that you wont see games like this in the next 10 years.. that statement is bogus.. in 10 years let alone, 5 years, technology can rapidly expand and become way better.. i would say withing the next 3 years we'll have CPU's and GPU's that can play this fluidly.. CPU's will be powered by a hybrid of CPU's and GPU's on one chip or Massive parrallell GPU's all togather.. Intel is already working on a GPU/CPU chip that's going to release next year. Much like nehalem brought the memory controller onto the CPU, intel is bringing the PCI Express controller onto the CPU.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3461
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Decami View Post
    ... showing you the CAPABILITIES of DX11. ...
    As a game developer, i can't say that a better way ...

Msft offers an API with some capabilities, and game developers turns thoses capabilities into aspects and visuals.

I have seen so many crappy post talking about DirectX 9, 10, 11 by so many people that does not know how simply work the DirectX 9 / 10 / 11 rendering pipeline ...

You can't compare visual between those api, because this is a non-sense.
    Yes you can obviously have almost the same visual using DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 ... but as i said Microsoft offers capabilities througth DirectX, not visual aspect. So you can aproximatively do the same visual, but not using the same CAPABILITIES. Today, i am able to program a game that look exactly the same as a DirectX 10 version only using software rendering. It will run at 1 fpy ( frame per year ) but i will look exactly the same. Visual not related to features. ( this is not really exact because features allow you some kind of effects to run smoothly so you obtain a collection of visual effect corresponding to the capabilities you have ... but those capabilities do not limit you).
    For example : geometry shader. You can offer exactly the same visual aspect without using them. But they are much faster.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    Those pics are prolly BS, anyone remember the DX 10 screen shots MS posted, hahaha, turned out dx 10 looks just like dx 9.
    that's because the big goodie in DX10 is that is suposed to be easier

for programmers to develop, in my opinion DX11 still isn't going to be

much difference unless they do really can managed tesselation and parallel data

wisely.

but the real thing is ray tracing definitely

SILVERSTONE TJ07 . ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME . INTEL C2D E8600@ Q822A435 . 6GB CELLSHOCK PC3 15000 . EVGA GTX 285 . WD VELOCIRAPTOR 300HLFS . WD AAKS 640GB ''RAID0 . CORSAIR HX 1000W . X-Fi FATAL1TY TITANIUM . LOGITECH WAVE . G9 LASER . Z5500 . DELL ULTRASHARP 2047WFP
    Aquaero VFD . Enzotech revA . Laing DDC 12v . Black Ice GTS-Lite 360 . Swiftech Mcres Micro . 3/8"
    By MrHydes®

sales
    feedback Techzone

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Just waiting for the Ray Tracing pics...
    Amen to that. Ray Tracing ftw. This is why Ray Tracing is the future: (green line is Ray Tracing, red line Rasterization)

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else think DX10 was an epic fail? There are bugger all games that support DX10, and the ones that do actually perform worse in DX10 mode (with the exception of games based on the Dunia engine and only at specific settings). I remember reading of improved graphics quality at massively improved performance before DX10 was released, and what we got was slightly improved (if at all) image quality at rofl performance.

Case: Coolermaster CM690 OS: Windows XP x64 edition / Windows Vista x64 Optical: Asus DRW-1814BLT, LG GDR8164B Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 (rev 2.1) Monitors: Dual GDM-5410 21" RAM: Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800, 5-4-3-12 Processor: E2140 (M0) @ 3.2ghz/1.3825v (set in BIOS) PSU: Enermax EG565P-VE FMA (24P) 535W ATX2.01 PSU Videocard: Galaxy 512mb 8800GT @ 675/1674/1100 (Samsung 1.0ns) Cooling: Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Accelero S1 Rev. 2 + 2x 120mm Coolermaster fan Storage: Western Digital Raptor 74gb (WD740GD-00FLA2), Seagate 750gb (ST3750630AS)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by bonobo View Post
    As a game developer, i can't say that a better way ...

Msft offers an API with some capabilities, and game developers turns thoses capabilities into aspects and visuals.

I have seen so many crappy post talking about DirectX 9, 10, 11 by so many people that does not know how simply work the DirectX 9 / 10 / 11 rendering pipeline ...

You can't compare visual between those api, because this is non-sense.
    Yes you can obviously have almost the same visual using DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 ... but as i said Microsoft offers capabilities througth DirectX, not visual aspect. So you can aproximatively do the same visual, but not using the same CAPABILITIES. Today, i am able to program a game that look exactly the same as a DirectX 10 version only using software rendering. It will run at 1 fpy ( frame per year ) but i will look exactly the same. Visual not related to features. ( this is not really exact because features allow you some kind of effects to run smoothly so you obtain a collection of visual effect corresponding to the capabilities you have ... but those capabilities do not limit you).
    For example : geometry shader. You can offer exactly the same visual aspect without using them. But they are much faster.
    Thank god somebody uses his brain a little. I couldn't have explained myself better. Almost 100% of this thread post's are just stupid. DXxx, by itself, doesn't mean better image quality, illumination or whatever.

OMFG DX10 looks the same as DX9!!!11!one!!. What were you specting?
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Member
    One thing that I think all these company's are greatly lacking in is optimization. They keep cranking out more and more hardware with very little software / driver improvements. IMO its alllllll in the drivers...
    i7 920
    P6T Deluxe
    6GB G-skill 1600
    4870 1gb
    2x 500gb 7,200 barracuda raid 0
    900W PSU
    BenQ G2400WD 24"
    Sennheiser PC 350

http://www.youtube.com/user/knissel

Xtreme Cruncher
    ^^ That's what i assumed but i'm no programmer....
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzfest05 View Post
    exactly the same as DX10 promotion pics nothing close to that was released.
    sadly, that could not be more true
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Addict
    I dunno why they even bother, I mean really we're gonna buy the games no matter what its not like anyone gonna be like WOOOOOoooooooo! guess what I got DX11 *high fives* now lets go look at a high res pic of water! Marketing is just kinda dumb without any real games to show it off if you ask me.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    DX11 will probably be here before Windows 7, it will launch on Vista first, probably with the next service pack.
    DX11 is already in the windows 7 alpha and beta's.

Who knows if it's finished or not though, since there aren't any programs that use it yet.

Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

Xtreme Addict
    Pc game graphics wont improve too much anymore in the near future, remember, most games are made to run on consoles as well and you can't upgrade those, so there are limits to how good graphics will get and only once xbox 3 and ps4 come out and we get ports of games for those graphics will improve again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast