Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Core i7 Vdimm/VTT Graveyard :D

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    but yeah what i've found on the GB board is while you could run NB Frequency in a different ratio to 4:1 i am talking about for high BCKL clocks and benching speeds on RAM i found that using NB Frequency 4x bigger than RAM frequency is easiest to get stability
    Same as all X58. Uncore must be at least twice of RAM frequency. 1000Mhz = DDR2000 = NB 4000

You just can't choose anything else because 4Ghz Uncore under water is quite hard. So more is difficult, less is impossible

Xtreme Legend
    took a lot of head scratching for me to figure that out but i got the hang of it on my second session heh
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Aussie God
    God I wish I had the time and equipment just to prove everything wrong
    First time going on XS for like 2 weeks.......

I will donate a weekend in January to sort out fact/myths on this one.....
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    First time going on XS for like 2 weeks.......

I will donate a weekend in January to sort out fact/myths on this one.....
    ROFL this is soo sig worthy
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Aussie God
    hehe
    Yea... But its not unique, dont worry, you can find alot more arrogant ones when searching my posts

... Nah, Im just jealouse as hell, no time for interesting HW, working with mainstream these days...
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i have to do a bios template
    i am still lost with all these names to be honest
    keep in mind that i've only had a couple of days testing experience so my findings are fresh to say the least heheh

but yeah what i've found on the GB board is while you could run NB Frequency in a different ratio to 4:1 i am talking about for high BCKL clocks and benching speeds on RAM i found that using NB Frequency 4x bigger than RAM frequency is easiest to get stability
    nb, yes, but you said qpi

saaya what is dangerous VTT
    i've run 1.65v so far heheheh
    1.65v is fine afaik, 2v is... not good ^^

yeah was thinking the same
    you know what mark, in your own way, you really are an XS legend ^^
    I hereby nominate you as Xtremely Special Legend

hehe
    Yea... But its not unique, dont worry, you can find alot more arrogant ones when searching my posts
    ... Nah, Im just jealouse as hell
    wow, nice self reflection there, there is yet hope for you!

Xtreme Legend
    take it easy on me
    i'm still a nehalem noob
    gigabyte guys told me that some of theissues i was having are bios related and the new F4F fixes some uncore problems lol so will load that up next

next i am testing RAM and superpi
    gotta see what its all about
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Man this saddens me. I7 is taking the bandwidth fun out of life. I mean I love running high volts just because of the potential it gives.
    Antec p182 (looks pro)
    P5E deluxe X48 motherboard (flashed to a rampage)
    Q9550 2866GHX @ 3.825 1.35v
    2x 4870 ATI 512MB videos cards (720/1075) PCI-E 115MHZ CFX baby
    2GB OCZ platinum 900MHZ 1:1 (4-5-5-12)
    600 watt gamextreme OCZ PSU, Slave PSU for cooling is a 300 watt Aopen (Bolted to the side of my case)
    Ninja 478 with silverstone fans and stuff on it to cool the massive CPU down
    750GB western digital harddrive
    Sound blaster live soundcard
    viewsonic p225f
    Copperhard Razer
    Dell keyboard with huge spacebar
    ZX240 speakers

Xtreme X.I.P.
    well i think it was a freak accident actually and high vdimm is safe, maybe even with stock vtt... so far i think only B stepping chips died from vdimm, C stepping seems to be very robust in regards to vdimm...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    well i think it was a freak accident actually and high vdimm is safe, maybe even with stock vtt... so far i think only B stepping chips died from vdimm, C stepping seems to be very robust in regards to vdimm...
    Intel tell me that it was especially with the Rev A0 that he had marked 1.65v not exceed (I tested 2 x 940 B0 which are very good, better than my suxxor of C0 )

But at confirm

I killed my XE C0, I will not try to kill B0
    OCM Member / IXTREMTEK Admin !!

DDR1 2*256 BH5 Adata @324.7Mhz 1.5/2/2/5 1T at 4v @318.6Mhz Benchs
    DDR2 1*512 Kingston Pc8500 @702Mhz 5/5/5/18 at 2.42v réel
    DDR2 2*1024 Cell Shock Pc8000c4 @534Mhz 3/3/3/8 at 3.5v réel

Cooling : XP90C , Big Typhoon , waterchiller R507 , LN2 ....

Xtreme Addict
    That's what I thought. The above post now makes me glad I've stayed in spec with the RAM. I figured that was gonna happen, and it's unfortunate. SOmething tells me as time goes on there may be more. We can't tell whether they will degrade over time. I'm sticking with 1.65v. With the Bandwidth this thing has I can't see any reason to go above that.

World Champion - IRONMODS
    The highest I've run my vDIMM was only 1.8V (and +0.25 VTT...1.45V right?), and I've only been testing for about a week. But two days ago, I lost one of my mem channels...now BIOS only sees 2 of my three DIMMS. I'm pretty bummed, but I think I'll back off the voltage a bit.
    Last edited by miahallen; 12-02-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtremely Addicted
    What board you use miahallen ?

MSI Eclipse SLI...wouldn't have been my first choice, but I needed to do some homework for the THG Competition in Paris on Dec 13th & 14th...Team IORNMODS is representing as Team USA. Unfortunately, looks like my time to do homework has come to an end. I lost a second memory channel today. And the setup is quite unstable in single channel mode, even with stock clocks....I hope I learned enough to represent in Paris.

I think when this is over, I'll have to get the P6T or a GB
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtremely Addicted
    Sorry to hear, have fun in Paris, awesome city

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    I lost a second memory channel today. And the setup is quite unstable in single channel mode, even with stock clocks....I hope I learned enough to represent in Paris.

I think when this is over, I'll have to get the P6T or a GB
    Same thing happened with my REII, I lost a channel (most probably due to condensation), though I cleaned it with aceton and took all the plastic spray that I had applied off. Left it one day with the battery off and now it's alive again. Just like new!!!

Xtreme Addict
    1.65v is fine afaik, 2v is... not good ^^
    just to be clear VTT = QPI/DRAM voltage.
    1.65v has been my sweetspot, i need it to run 2133mhz RAM; the UCLK is the killer - can't run faster than 4300. thenagain I'm still on stock hs

Quote Originally Posted by dread77 View Post
    Same thing happened with my REII, I lost a channel (most probably due to condensation), though I cleaned it with aceton and took all the plastic spray that I had applied off. Left it one day with the battery off and now it's alive again. Just like new!!!
    Thanks for the hint, I was thinking an acetone bath might be a good idea, but I haven't gotten to it yet...I'll let you know.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Cruncher
    Saaya, so wich are concidered to be "safe" voltages for D9JNL chips with nehalem?
    I´m using 1.8vDimm and 1.35V QPI with GA-EX58-UD5 right now
    This is my best bandwith shot:
    http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=3202172.jpg

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So, i7 launched and we are all sufficiently scared of using more than 1.65v vdimm alright. Looking at the real world performance boost from running high mem clocks over easily achievable clocks with 1.65v vdimm or even less, it seems high clocks and hence high vdimm isnt needed for gaming and 24/7 at all...
    but THIS IS SPA... XtremeSystems!
    I know there are quite some people out there pushing for more, a lot more

Please share your results here and i will do my best to update the first post and summarize the experiences. Did you kill an i7 with high vdimm? What vtt and vcore did you use? for how long? Are you running high vdimm without any problems? how high? whats your vtt? whats your vcore?

Thanks!

1.90v vdimm / 1.1 vtt = dead after 10 hours (Engineering Sample CPU rev B) - rev B?
    2.25v vdimm / 1.45v = dead after 10 hours (Engineering Sample CPU rev C) - buggy board?

1.65v vdimm / 1.20 vtt = ok forever according to intel
    1.80v vdimm / 1.30 vtt = ok for 5 weeks
    1.95v vdimm / 1.40 vtt = ok for 3 weeks
    2.05v vdimm / 1.45 vtt = ok for 3 weeks
    2.05v vdimm / 1.36 vtt = ok for 4 weeks
    2.30v vdimm / 1.35 vtt = ok for 2 week (cold)

That sound very "strange" to me, the catastrophics diode protections are stopping any heat crazy stuff, and I never saw in our lab a test of transistor dieing so fast ... you are doing something very wrong. Did you modify your board or something like this? With enough cooling, I never saw the life so short.

Do you still have the processor that you claimed are dead? I am interested in getting them for analysis, since we never saw that kind of extreme death.

Francois
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

I have ran my C0 revision (I think it is) 965 with patriot memory at 1.9v and stock Vtt through prime95 for 24hrs and through 10 days general use before the actual memory started to fail and refused to post.

Now I am running Mushkin 2x6Gb kits at 1.64v at 1333mhz because the latest bios update refuses to allow speeds of 1600mhz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    1,65Vdimm seems very low for me ;(
    How could you for example run these Rams : http://www.com-discount.de/FMPro?-DB...=ALL&-FINDALL=
    They need 1,8-1,9Vdimm to get these clocks.
    But this would be impossible according to your post if you risk damage after raising Vdimm above 1,65..
    System #1:
    i7 975 for bench, W3540 @ 4,4 Ghz HT On, Asus P6X58 Premium, 3x2048 Corsair Dominator 2000CL7, Sapphire 5970 @ stock, Corsair HX1000, 1xOCZ Vertex2 120GB, 3x1TB WD Green
    Cooled by:
    Loop 1: Watercool HK rev 3.0, Laing Ultra 18W /w XSPC Res Top, Thermochill PA120.3 /w Phobya Fans @ 5V Pull
    Loop 2: EK 5970 Nickle, Laing Ultra 18W /w XSPC Res Top, Thermochill PA120.3 /w Phobya Fans @ 5V Pull
    Loop 3: EK Asus NB/SB, Mips Asus Mosfet 1 + 2, Laing Ultra 18W /w XSPC Res Top, Thermochill PA120.2 /w Phobya Fans @ 5V Pull

4,6Ghz (21x220) 1,42Vcore with Single Stage (HT enabled)
    http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1251/83962063.jpg

AMD @ testing
    X4 955, Asus Crosshair III, same Rams as on Intel Setup, Sapphire 4870X2 @ Stock, PC Power&Cooling 910W

Back from the Dead
    Guys (especially Francois ),

do you think it is (fairly..) safe to run 1,8-1,9V Vdimm 24/7 if I am on phase? -30C evap so CPU should be zub zero at all times...
    C0 965 XE. Thanks

@Bla$na: I intend to use those exact mems (well.. the 2GB stick version of it) so I'll soon find out
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

I have been running 2v 24/7 on phase
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Back from the Dead
    Nice FUGGER, thanks. Now if you could get back to me on that chilly1 lga1366 holddown (pm) I could try myself
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast