Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Chiller Build (recently found some time)

Woah this is impressive alright I'm trying to catch up here. This is a high capacity chiller with a liquid cooled condenser? So is the goal of this to be relatively quiet with amazing cooling capacity? Err what is the advantage to a unit like this? Sorry and thanks!

Xtreme Addict
    Yes, I wanted a liquid cooled condenser for added capacity. My second goal was to have a quiet unit that would fit into a room inconspicuously (to give myself an excuse to build another piece of furniture). The chest will be insulated for sound.

As for advantages, we'll find that out later.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    so let me get this straight.
    The water gets chilled, then runs into the special box and cools the comp, as well as the air in the box (to cool fets and such and help prevent condensation?), while the hot side of the system (condensor water) is cooled by air that is pulled through the cooled box of hardware?
    innnnteresting.
    "Monolith" - [ Xeon W3540 (4.22) - Rampage 2 Extreme - 12 GB Ripjaws 1600 - GTX 570 - 120 GB OCZ Vertex - Antec TruePower 750W - Corsair 700D - Apogee XT CPU Block - XSPC 360 Rad ]
    Old Box - [ E4600 2.4 @ 3.7ghz (11x335) - P5W-DH - 4gb Gskill @ 893mhz - Radeon 3850 ]

So that big tank with the rads and fans is to cool the condenser right? It's gotta be hard to keep up with efficiency on this..

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphex_Tom_9 View Post
    so let me get this straight.
    The water gets chilled, then runs into the special box and cools the comp, as well as the air in the box (to cool fets and such and help prevent condensation?), while the hot side of the system (condensor water) is cooled by air that is pulled through the cooled box of hardware?
    innnnteresting.
    The water gets chilled, it passes through a radiator; one that I made. It exits on the other side, which you can't see and will follow a somewhat long pipe to the computer.

That homemade radiator serves to cool the air that will be be pulled through the radiators. It is one of two intakes. The top radiator has a push configuration and will essentially regulate the temperature of the air so that the air exhausted isn't overly cold. So yes, it sort of prevents condensation inside in that respect. However, I'll have to put a drip pan underneath to catch the water from the ice that melts off of the cold radiator once the system shuts off and the water warms up.

Its more than it really needs to be, but it's fun for me.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hello im sean View Post
    So that big tank with the rads and fans is to cool the condenser right? It's gotta be hard to keep up with efficiency on this..
    That's not a tank. Its a plexi housing made purely to direct airflow.
    Regards, Stew.....

So the chilled rad partially cools the condenser rads before it hits the cpu? Hmm

Xtreme Addict
    Like I said, this was a compromise of sorts. However, the way I am controlling the unit is still aiming for a specific temp in the reservoirs.

This is how the system is going to function. I've got some redesigning to do on the liquid line, but its still going to be the same essentially, just need to change a valve out and reorient/add sensor taps. A temp sensor will control a solenoid that cuts on/off flow between the condenser and evaporator. Then a low pressure sensor will trip the compressor at a specific low and high point. So, I'm going to run a pump down cycle. When the temp sensor detects the appropriate differential above the set point, it will open the solenoid and refrigerant will begin to flow. The LPS detects the increase and on goes the compressor. So the reservoir temp won't be any different, and that means the liquid returning from the computer is at the desired temp.

I also don't anticipate that my self made radiator will be all that efficient. It is only designed to cool a small volume of air, and really is quite basic. No fins, thicker than typical condenser tubing, and it will frost over so that it will sort of insulate it against too much heat absorption.

If this proves to be a problem, though, I can always change the piping. It wouldn't take but 30 minutes to cut, braze, and make the adjustments.

Thank you for posting. Even though its been taking a while, I love to share my ideas and thoughts, and in turn hear the thoughts of others.
    Last edited by Stewie007; 12-07-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    In terms of efficiency its a losing battle

You should have gone with a big air condenser and maybe a subcooler for the liquid supplying the evaporator if you really wanted to have some gains.

The only times you ever use a water condenser is when you have a cool supply of water at your disposal or when you use it as an economiser for energy saving purposes.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by marru View Post
    In terms of efficiency its a losing battle

You should have gone with a big air condenser and maybe a subcooler for the liquid supplying the evaporator if you really wanted to have some gains.

The only times you ever use a water condenser is when you have a cool supply of water at your disposal or when you use it as an economiser for energy saving purposes.
    There is an entire industry that builds water cooled chillers. They run from the 15 to 2000+ Ton capacity range and use a cooling tower. Mine is 1/2 Ton, the cooling I have added should be sufficient. If not, I'll add cooling. However, I think ice cold air should be sufficient.
    Regards, Stew.....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345