Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Defrag utility?

Xtreme Member
    Smart Defrag @ iobit.com

Banned
    The 'best'? They all do the same thing. You may hear of for-pay defrag software writers using proprietary algorithms, thus making the defragmented drive faster, but it's a pantsload. Maximum PC did a test a while back, comparing all the defraggers and the results in various applications after defragging were within the 'statistical anomaly' region (think 1 or 2%). I personally use JkDefrag (http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/) because it's lightweight, free, command line and no fruity GUI and big, stupid Vista-esque buttons.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
    Either Diskeeper or Perfectdisk, depending on "how" you like to keep your HDD defragmented. You can find information on the differences between Perfectdisk and Diskeeper here. It's a very interesting read with information provided by actual representatives from Raxco (PerfectDisk) and Diskeeper Corp on how their product works.
    Thanks for the link. Great read, I dont know if its worth it for me as a home user to pay $40 or $50 for defrag software. I cant use windows de:banana::banana::banana:ger it's incredibly slow. The one thing that I dont like about diskeeper is the fact that thats another process running in the background that I dont need. I do like the sound of perfectdisk, but I dont know if it's worth the $40 premium over jkdefrag. The one thing that PD can do that jk cant is defrag the mft, I dont know if thats really even that important.

Banned
    Maximum PC did a defrag shootout a while ago on Vista and Vista's built in defragger came in first. I've used a few 3rd party apps, but Vista's built in has never failed me.

Xtreme Member
    I've alwayts used auslogic's free version. Simple google search will get you it. Works well for me!

Xtreme Mentor
    After using Jkdefrag I noticed my pc booted up a little slower. I am now using perfectdisk and so far I like it. Its fast, dosent run anything in the background when not in use, and does a good job. My pc is booting up faster now, than after using Jkdefrag. I also like auslogics. It does do a quick and effecient job, but it dosent manage free space or defrag the mft or page file. Vista built in takes forever. Thats my problem with it. Ive left it on overnight and it dosent finish.

Xtreme Mentor
    +1 for Diskeeper
    Havent tried anything else so far, but DK is been great!

Xtreme Member
    PerfectDisk 2008. Auto defrag (it has a few flavors of this mode) keeps my disks at .01 fragmentation transparently.
    i7 940 + HK LT, GTX 480 SLI
    ASUS P6T DLX V2, 6gig Corsair Dominator 1600
    2XDDC 3.2 18watts, PC LRT, pure distilled+silver, TC PA120.3/TFC 120.1
    2x150gigWD RaptorX, 4x1tbWD BLK SG, 1.5tb external drives
    SB Titanium PCI-X, Logitech z2300, Triton AX PC Pro
    2xMemorex DL DVD burners-USB attached
    Samsung 225BW & 204B
    MM U2 UFO powder coat+12x120MM fans, Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W, Windows 7 U64

Best I've used is Ultimatedefrag (http://www.disktrix.com/UDIntroduction.htm) but its slow and I use smaller partitions for my "fragmenting" files. So atm I use Perfectdisk. But the option to move "slow" files to the end of the disk - can be quite usefull.
    Q9650@4000 - Apogee GTX, Gigabyte X48-DS5, 8GB Corsair Dominator XMS2-8500, GTX480 El cheapo Asetek block, Audiophile 192 + Adam-A7, Win7

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
    O&O

laterzzz..............
    That ^^ bar none!

link: O&O defrag!

Xtreme Addict
    I don't know if there is a best anymore (there used to be but things changed) but this is what I tried and does what it's suppose to do:

Auslogics Disk Defrag

Defraggler

UltimateDefrag

JkDefrag

IObit SmartDefrag

Chose one that suits your needs, they're all excellent products and free.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Since I changed to Vista 64-bit from Windows XP Pro I have tried a few different defrag programs. Before making the switch I used Diskeeper exclusivly but their "Boot-Time Defrag" did not work with Vista SP-1 so that is when I started trying different programs. I tried O & O, Perfect Disk, JKDefrag, and Ultimate Defrag but after giving them all a decent try I decided to stick with Perfect Disk because it was easy and intuitive to use. I'm not a pro when it comes to programs like these so ease of use and the GUI are important to me. With that all said however Diskeeper just released their 2009 version which re-incorperates "Boot-Time Defrag" so I just installed it last night. Out of all these programs I'm most confortable with Diskeeper (and I use their Diskeeper Pro version). It is very easy to use, the GUI is very intuitive, and the defrag engine seems to be comprehensive and fast. Granted it may not organize the data on your HDD in a way like JKDefrag or Ultimate Defrag has the ability to do but for someone like myself (ordinary computer user) it works great. Plus its one of the first defrag programs that offers special defrag options for SSD drives.

The only drawback of all these programs (and this probably has more to do with Vista than it does with the programs themselves) is that despite my best efforts I can't elimiate all the fragmented files like I could in Windows XP Pro (it never goes below 500 fragments and there is always left over "Low Performing" files left behind). I have done multiple "Boot-Time Defrags" with all of these programs and have also disabled VSC (Volume Shadow Copy) but neither helped to completly defrag the drive? Well guys this is a great thread and was very helpful for me.
    Asus Maximus III Formula (2001)
    Intel i7 860 (L924B516)
    Noctua D14
    Corsairs CMG4GX3M2A2000C2 (2 x 2GB) RAM
    eVGA GTX480
    DD-H20
    BIX GTX360
    MCP35X PWM
    Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e
    LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray
    Toughpower 850w Modular
    GSkill Phoenix Pro SSD 120GB

HEAT

Another vote for O&O

v10 kind of lost the plot but v11 has rekindled my love for it although my personal favourite is v8.6 as this runs faster than any others plus its Vista and XP friendly in both 32 and 64 bit flavours!

Xtreme Member
    JKDefrag user here as well. I only use it when I go through & uninstall apps that I haven't used in a while or when I've done a fresh install of Windows. Noted about the slow boot.... I've found multiple runs of it over a couple of evenings does the trick for me.

I'm in the habit of putting my data on a separate drive & don't usually clean that up nearly as much as my OS partition.
    My Stystems:

Into The Abyss - Built by CyberDruidPC
    Q6700@3.6GHz, Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi, eVGA 8800GT KO, 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC2-6400, FX700-GLN-E PSU, 2 x 74GB Raptors(RAID0) & 2 x 750GB F1 HDD

Teh Server

Biostar TPower I45, Q9550 e0, 4x2GB DDR2-1100 G.Skill PI, 2x160GB Velociraptor HDD(RAID0, GameXtreme 700W PSU

Xtreme Member
    I vote for Auslogics Disk Defrag, once I found it I was a happy chappy and still am =]

Upgrading a little soon I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_D25 View Post
    Granted it may not organize the data on your HDD in a way like JKDefrag or Ultimate Defrag has the ability to do but for someone like myself (ordinary computer user) it works great.
    DK does do intelligent sequencing of data (IFAAST).

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_D25 View Post
    Plus its one of the first defrag programs that offers special defrag options for SSD drives.
    Why would you defrag an SSD drive? It's my understanding that would only severely shorten its useable lifespan if you defragmented on a regular basis.

You can't improve on 1ms response. Unless there is something I'm missing.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12