Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DDC heatsink anyone??

Banned
    get this if yer running hot as heat kills mine is running cool & is non-restrive & out in the open air ... but my 2 New ddc's on my torrent build will be in the bottom of the case & this will help keep them cool

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Interesting idea...
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    I've never seen the inside of a DDC, but what about machining an entire BOTTOM for one? Re-do whatever holds the motor/PCB, everything...
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    I've never seen the inside of a DDC, but what about machining an entire BOTTOM for one? Re-do whatever holds the motor/PCB, everything...
    +1. Those are the parts with the most friction = heat...
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    I don't think it'd be easy, but if Bei Fei went from idea to final product without even asking us, then it's probably not a big deal for him...

I just don't know if the PCB is fixed to the plastic molding or anything. And you might need to use a layer of electrical tape or something to not get it to short out. But in an aluminum casing, WITH the fan and/or fins, that would be something. I think you could nearly skip the fan with proper fins and mounting system.

Ha, and imagine if someone makes a bottom... then it'd be assumed that when you buy a DDC, the bottom AND top should go. You're just keeping the guts, the pump would be EXPENSIVE to do 'right'!
    Last edited by AndrewZorn; 11-13-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I like the idea. Can't say how useful it would be in the end, but my DDC's get hot as hell and with some thermal paste/tape between the pump and the heatsink, some of the heat must get removed.

Never go full retard
    Test bench has a D12SH-12 dedicated to cooling my DDC, the little guy is quite dedicated to his purpose in life.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    I don't get it. Wouldn't more restriction mean that there is more resistance on the motor which would be transformed into heat energy? I'm no wizz on these things so I'm missing an important concept or something isn't right.
    No, I don't know all that much about motors, but as I understand it...it's the breaking of the motor from spinning too fast that causes more power consumption and heat.

Pumps always seem to produce more and more heat the lower the restriction and the higher the flow rate:

Dotted lines below are power consumption vs. flow rate, higher flow rate = higher power consumption

It goes against common sense in thinking in terms of resistance against the motor, but apparently electric motors and power consumption is more affected by the braking effect of spinning faster.

I don't really understand it myself, but Scott is correct, they have all measured that way for every pump I've tested and measured power consumption on. There is other energy at hand like the water horsepower and heat generated by pressure drop within the system, but when talking purely power consumption by the pump...it is always higher with lower restriction. This little effect even showed up in the last waterblock shootout, the really low restriction blocks had about .1C higher water temperatures than the high restriction blocks. Not much to measure there, but consistent in this effect.

Electric motors are weird that way...

Anyhow, back on topic. I don't know that the heat is really an issue for the pumps or not, but I've never really liked how hot the DDCs get in comparison to the D5s. Those heatsinks look nice!
    Last edited by Martinm210; 11-13-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Banned
    Cheers for the graph and for the explanation. I actually sort of get it now

Banned
    would it be safe a simple summation:
    it would heat up faster cause it pumps faster/rotates faster without restriction
    but with restriction the pump won't be able to pump faster/thus not producing more heat than necessary

OP & Naekuh, with this DDC sink, i think you take out the bottom compartment of a ddc pump and attached with thermal pad/tape on the circuit board proper? so better heat transfer without the plastic in between right?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyPanda View Post
    +1. Those are the parts with the most friction = heat...
    I believe most of the heat comes from the electronics driving the motor which does not get cooled by the water

Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Pumps always seem to produce more and more heat the lower the restriction and the higher the flow rate:
    So I guess mine must be a special pump - low restriction, high flow rate ( >2gpm), no direct airflow, and it still stays pretty cool
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Banned
    Nice idea but I don't really need it. I created a DDC mount which install in a 3.5" bay and the pump elevated by rubber mounts and holes to install a 80mm fan if needed. This is placed in a area where a 120mm fan is blowing across so it stay cool.

Xtreme Member
    My ddc3.2 is positioned behind my 120.2 radiator,so gets some airflow across it from that.

A full bottom piece would be interesting though.
    intel G860
    asus p8z77-m pro skt1155 bios 1205
    Samsung 2x4b ddr3 1333@1600 8.10.9 1.53v
    MSI gtx560ti twin frozr 1gb
    1x120gb pny prevail elite/1x WD RE4 2TB
    Lg Slimline Dvd/rw sata
    Dell 2405FPW 24"
    Fractal Arc mii
    Xonar DX/Dell soundbar
    Hiper 580watt

3.9ghz e6300-http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=139796
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/1834.html

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    I just don't know if the PCB is fixed to the plastic molding or anything. And you might need to use a layer of electrical tape or something to not get it to short out. But in an aluminum casing, WITH the fan and/or fins, that would be something. I think you could nearly skip the fan with proper fins and mounting system.
    No it's not fixed. The newer DDC 18w ones have bare sort of bottoms and the older ones have plastic casings on them when they're taken out. So yeah some electrical insulation in the case would be good.

I think this is a great idea though, sure plastic doesn't transfer heat good but it gets hot anyway. Putting that heatsink + thermal tape on will help keep that side cool.

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    No, I don't know all that much about motors, but as I understand it...it's the breaking of the motor from spinning too fast that causes more power consumption and heat.

Dotted lines below are power consumption vs. flow rate, higher flow rate = higher power consumption

It goes against common sense in thinking in terms of resistance against the motor, but apparently electric motors and power consumption is more affected by the braking effect of spinning faster.

I don't really understand it myself, but Scott is correct, they have all measured that way for every pump I've tested and measured power consumption on. There is other energy at hand like the water horsepower and heat generated by pressure drop within the system, but when talking purely power consumption by the pump...it is always higher with lower restriction. This little effect even showed up in the last waterblock shootout, the really low restriction blocks had about .1C higher water temperatures than the high restriction blocks. Not much to measure there, but consistent in this effect.

Electric motors are weird that way...

Anyhow, back on topic. I don't know that the heat is really an issue for the pumps or not, but I've never really liked how hot the DDCs get in comparison to the D5s. Those heatsinks look nice!
    What is not consumed as energy is given off as heat. In the same respect if your home heat pump takes a 1/3hp motor for the condenser fan and you install a 1/2hp motor the unused (potential) energy is given off as heat into the motor. A properly sized motor to fan blade size/pitch setup will give off less heat.

But a modded top with a greater inlet feed to the suction volute will increase the load (amps) drawn by the motor. This is why Laing decreased the inlet size of the newer DDC pumps. Marci said all along to leave the aftermarket tops alone and do not increase the inlet opening size.
    Last edited by SiGfever; 11-14-2008 at 02:35 PM.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

I am Xtreme
    nobody liked my goatse mod to the heatsink?
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

I think most everyone (except for me and you) thought that you meant a prison with the bars and the hands... but that's really our problem, not theirs.

Chasing After Diety
    Got my sinks,

uhh... too blingy... but it does what i need them to do.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 11-17-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    Got my sinks,

uhh... too blingy... but it does what i need them to do.
    I have a bunch of colored LED fans to attach to mine All in a salute to Blingville, USA Everybody board the Bling Bus . . .We all live in the yellow Blingaring . . . Who let the bling out . . who who who?

***DB is on cold medicine . . .ignore him
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What is this bling you speak of? ROFL

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by gillbot View Post
    What is this bling you speak of? ROFL
    "Theirs goes, 'Bling bling bling blingy bling-bling.' Ours goes, 'Bling bling bling bling blingy bling-bling.'"
    -- Vanilla Ice, 1990aol music vanilla ice

Xtreme Member
    I would like to see a replacement bottom for them as well could be pretty interesting to see what some people will come up with...

I am Xtreme

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast