Thread: Buy a spare pump or not?

Xtreme Member

Talking Buy a spare pump or not?

Hey guys I almost have my system together I have two loops the CPU/NB loop is running on a MCW320 with low speed yates, MCP355 blue impeller pump bought new and using EK supreme and ek NB 05 block. The video loop is MCR220 with low speed yates used DCC2 355 pump and two MCR60 Rev 2's.
    It is my understanding that the DCC2's have a high failure rate also the one I bought used I have no idea how many hours may be on it. Is it a good idea to buy a spare MCP355? If so put it inline as a backup or just leave it on the shelf as backup.

-sponge

Banned
    Buy as spare and put it on the self.

I am Xtreme
    buy buy buy

Xtreme Member
    Pretty simple... 2 > 1

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    If you do get another one, I wouldn't shelf it, I would put it inline and have the DDC2 and DDC3.2 on the CPU loop... with the video loop being just the other DDC3.2.

Then, you get extra power for the CPU for the time being, and if/when the DDC2 dies, you're still moving along with a good pump (and can remove the DDC2 on your own time).
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Member
    I have a pair of DDC 3.2s running, but I've kept a spare MCP-655 on the shelf as a "just in case" item instead of selling it. I think its a good idea no matter what pump you run to have a spare unless you have a store that carries WC gear that you'd actually buy in stock. Kinda the same reasoning as extra fluid, tubing, and fittings even though you may never use them. Think of it as back up insurance.

Xtreme Member
    Ah I see so then if I do as you suggest then it goes MCP355 XSPC/restop => MCP355 DCC2/xspc top => MCR320 => EK Supreme => EK NB05 => MCP355/XSPC res/top sound about right?
    thanks BTW

-sponge

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Yeah, assuming that last one is the first one.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440

Xtreme Addict
    Well the good thing about buying a used DDC2 is that it is rather unlikely to die on you within it's rated MTBF.

The majority of dead DDC2's were dead out of the box or died within the first couple weeks of operation.

If it survived being used already chances are it will last a fairly long time.

This is all informatio I gathered from Alex at Petras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Member
    Cool thanks that's great info yeah it makes sense it very well may be a good one. I think I'm going to just buy the spare MCP355 and put it on the shelf for a rainy day

-sponge

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Why let it do nothing? Combine it with the other pump!

Banned
    most ddc2 that survived are being run at nearly 24/7 operation. most of those that died within the first few weeks are those that are frequently turned on/off rigs. or those that didn't run the first time around.
    i have 2 ddc2 orange impeller, one from 2006 running nearly 24/7 and one from Petra's before those blue impellers came out, still going strong...

with the newer ddr3.2/3.1 blue impeller, Laing has redesigned the start up circuits of these pumps so that frequent startups won't fry said circuit like those of the ddc2 series...
    so less chance of frying one of these newer revision pumps.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    Why let it do nothing? Combine it with the other pump!
    good idea! this guy's word is wise .. why not use it instead of storing it?

but then again ... why dont you set the CPU temp 70deg cel auto shutdown ..
    if it fails .. just order a new one ..

Xtreme Addict
    I wouldn't run a ddc2 and a ddc3.2 together in the same loop. They have pretty significant performance differences and you should never mix different pumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    More the merrier!!!
    Ba da dum dum dum.

Banned
    I would only add the second pump for redundancy. You will not get any benefit from the increased flow. I just tried this and the additional heat dump from the 2nd pump nullifies any benefit of increased flow.

Also, as aspire.comptech says, do not mix pump types.

Xtreme Member
    I was indeed concerned with heat dump as well. Well I got the DCC2 pretty cheap so if it frys it frys. I'm going to hold with my plan backup blue impeller MCP355 and shelve it thanks for everyone's input it is really appreciated. I like the shut down temp idea but the DCC2 is in my video loop not my cpu loop so I don't think there is a monitoring tool for that to shut it down if the pump fails in the bios but I think the pump has a fan header connector isn' that so if you plug it into the mother board and the rpms drop to zero you can set a warning or something?

-sponge