Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fan controllers, AQUAERO VS mCubed T-Balancer (updated)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The only things bugging me about the Mcubed is the software. But I don't know, maybe thats not a problem. But I rly do like the Aquaero

Banned
    I am not sure if the Aquaero has digitial temperature sensors. The mcubed has these as well as the analog "foil" type that I see that comes with the Aquaero.

My experience is the digital probes are much more accurate, but you may not need too much accuracy.

I find that all of this monitoring is fun at first, but then I usually become bored with it and do not touch it for a few months.

Xtreme Mentor
    What can I use to power 16 yate loons.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx View Post
    A mcubed. A yate loon SL (the one with low rpm) uses about 3,6w and a mcubed can handle 20w per channel. 20w = 5-6 fans. 5x4 = 20
    Last edited by Brodholm; 11-15-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx View Post
    Depends on how many channels you want.

Let's assume 4 channels with 4 fans/ch. I'm "almost" certain you'd have to use at least TWO fan amps connected to the Aquaero, or I think all 4 channels could be run off the tBalancer....

Not 100% sure.... but that's my $0.02 worth. Ok, maybe only $0.01 worth.

breezyjr

FTW!

Xtreme Member
    The bigNG can handle 80W (PWM) or 20W (analogue) totally or 40W (PWM) / 20W (analogue) per channel. If you are using analogue fans and the bigNG gets hotter than a safety limit it will automatically switch over to PWM. If you don't have enough cooling on the heat sink you can get this problem under heavy load. It happen to me a few times, but a 120mm YL low speed solved the problem.
    Last edited by 0xdeadbeef; 11-15-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Does any retailer even sell the miniNG anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeknom View Post
    Does any retailer even sell the miniNG anymore?
    Performance PC's still has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyxxx View Post
    I find that all of this monitoring is fun at first, but then I usually become bored with it and do not touch it for a few months.
    +100000000

I've been running the bigNG, miniNG and sensor hub without issues for about a year now. They control my fans, two pumps and various temp probes throughout my system.

It just works and I don't even think about it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can you connect a temperature probe to two different units? Like one to the mcubed/aquaero and then the other to a lcd display or something. Like doing a Y connector on the temperature probe. One end in the fancontroller and the other in the lcd display?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    Can you connect a temperature probe to two different units? Like one to the mcubed/aquaero and then the other to a lcd display or something. Like doing a Y connector on the temperature probe. One end in the fancontroller and the other in the lcd display?
    Interesting question.
    I actually just read something posted by a dude in the work log section today. Can't remember his name but he was a well spoken guy - a doctor or something if I recall correctly. Anyway, he said that analogue probes are calibrated to the length of wire they come with, shortening or lengthening this will funk it up. I'd assume that you could still calibrate it with one of the digital probes though. If not you can use a digital probe in the manner you are talking about but good luck finding an LCD with a digital input.

I am also looking for a solution such as the BigNG or Aquaero at the momet I am leaning towards the BigNG but I'm a little concerned that there could be some future issues with it since it's out of support. I might go and do some reading up on the Aquaero. It seems to me that there is a giant void in the Liquid Cooling world with these types of devices. I've recently applied to go back to University to do an electronic engineering/computer science course so hopefully by the end I might have a bit of know how and start creating my own shiznit, cause it's pretty funked considering the options right now.
    Last edited by Salad Fingers; 11-17-2008 at 04:13 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I've been looking into these 2 options as well. Can anyone using the aquaero tell me if I can use it to control my DCC 3.2 on a fanamp? That will be my deciding factor. I've already planned on putting my Fans on a Fanamp and running them to what ever device. Its really kinda hard to find out alot of information on them both...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demthios View Post
    Yeah I've been looking into these 2 options as well. Can anyone using the aquaero tell me if I can use it to control my DCC 3.2 on a fanamp? That will be my deciding factor. I've already planned on putting my Fans on a Fanamp and running them to what ever device. Its really kinda hard to find out alot of information on them both...
    I am almost certain this can be done. But, if I recall correctly, you can only use one pump per channel on the fan amp. I know I've seen this done in the worklog section, and I think Project rainmaker, at least had the pumps connected to a fan amp, but don't recall which he used for control.

Xtreme Member
    Fanamps are manually controlled, or controlled via a temp probe on the Fanamp board itself. I don't believe there's a way to connect them to an Aquero.
    cheers,
    lux

Xtreme Member
    this is what is making everything so confusing. It seems no one really knows what is compatible with what, and which does what with what... and whatnot....

What?

Xtreme Mentor
    I emailed sidewinder to see if they will carry the aquero, since they now carry a lot of aqua computer parts
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

The fanamp is supposed to be connected to a 3-pin fan connector. So you can connect it to the motherboard, bigng, aquaero or anything else that is supposed to control a fan.
    --
    .:8):.
    Soon: B343 cube worklog, pictures, screw ups and water cooling extravaganza

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Pejer View Post
    The fanamp is supposed to be connected to a 3-pin fan connector. So you can connect it to the motherboard, bigng, aquaero or anything else that is supposed to control a fan.
    This is exactly what I originally thought. That it was merely "amping" the signal for those controllers that couldn't handle the extra load.

A somewhat separate but related question. Could you use either of these to control your DDC pump? and would you want to? ie. a number of people seem to have it setup to control the fan levels based on temps, could you in theory do the same for the pump, ie. slow the pump down based on temps? WOuld you want to?

breezyjr

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik Pejer View Post
    doesn't that defeat the whole idea because it still draws the power over the fancontroler and drawing tomuch power??
    because i don't know any fan amps that have power delivered by molex and can be controled by 3 pin

Xtreme Member
    The fan amp has 3 connections, one for a a molex, two 3 pin connectors, one to the fan/pump and one From the controller/mobo

the fan amp has two modes of control.

Control speed of fan or pump by fanamp MANUALLY In this configuration you are just using the fanamp as a single channel fan controller,

OR

Control speed of pump/fans by motherboard OR aquaero, using the fanamp as an AMPLIFIER. In this configuration you using the fanamp as an amplifier.

Yes, using an aquareo you could control the speed of the pump depending on temperature.

In my build i am using the fanamps to power my pumps via the aquaero as the aquaero does not have enough power to run 2 pumps and fans.
    Last edited by Extigy; 11-17-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extigy View Post
    The fan amp has 3 connections, one for a a molex, two 3 pin connectors, one to the fan/pump and one FrOm the controller/mobo

the fan amp has two modes of control.

Control speed of fan or pump by fanamp MANUALLY In this configuration you are just using the fanamp as a single channel fan controller,

OR

Control speed of pump/fans by motherboard OR aquaero, using the fanamp as an AMPLIFIER. In this configuration you using the fanamp as an amplifier.

Yes, using an aquareo you could control the speed of the pump depending on temperature.

In my build i am using the fanamps to power my pumps via the aquaero as the aquaero does not have enough power to run 2 pumps and fans.
    wich fanamps have that ability/wich are your using??
    because that would be a great thing

Xtreme Member
    There is only 1 Fanamp i KNOW of that isn't custom made and that is the mCubed FanAmp.

But by its very definition, you cannot have a FanAmp without an external power supply (i.e molex connection)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think the Mcubed is the better controller but the aquaeros software is superior. But then again with a sensorhub you can control the pump.

But does the pump actually make "that" much less noise than at normal speed? do you need a flow meeter to control it or could you use the temperature to control it?

Both controllers has its pros and cons

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezyjr View Post
    I am almost certain this can be done. But, if I recall correctly, you can only use one pump per channel on the fan amp. I know I've seen this done in the worklog section, and I think Project rainmaker, at least had the pumps connected to a fan amp, but don't recall which he used for control.
    You can control as many devices as you want with a fanamp so long as they dont exceed 25 watts. (they will need to be wired together though of course!)

Xtreme Member
    I stand corrected, the Fanamp will allow software control as long as the software used supports inputs from the motherboard. Speedfan, the Aquero Suite, etc. will be able to control the Fanamp wattage, but the t-balancer software, i presume because there's no option for it, will not.
    cheers,
    lux

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast