The Hole…Geothermal Loop…56K Warning!
Months back, I was getting bored and looking for a project…a PC cooling type of project. I started seriously looking at putting copper pipe in a crawlspace and a number of other things. I ended up going with this seasonal dual car rad setup:
Yes, Another Car Radiator Thread....Major 56K Warning!
I ended up getting into “crunching” (Distributed computing) Boinc/WCG, F@H, GpuGrid, etc. Now I run 4 OCed rigs and 4 OCed Gpus 24/7. The entire setup sucks about 1,200-1,300 watts out of the wall. During the summer the heat is ridiculous—even with pumping a lot of the heat outside. It got bad enough that I purchased an 8K btu a/c right before the weather turned cold. Needless to say, my electric bill sky-rocketed. But now that system is providing my winter heat via the indoor rad…...I have not turned my heater on so far this year (temps as low as 30F/-1C with highs in the 50’s-60’s, but as low as the 40’s). The ONLY supplemental heat comes from a 1K watt $20 space heater from wally-world. When temps outside start dipping into the 30’s it’s in the low 70’s in here ( ~72F with 30-35F outside). Additionally, I don’t run it everyday and only run it a few hours through the coldest part of the night…some nights. Not much at all.
So, what does any of that have to do with “The Hole” ? Honestly, it’s just a little background to help you understand what’s going on here and how the goals have come about…..With the way the economy is and has been, things have reached a point where I would have to choose: Suffer, shutdown the PCs or do without heat. Now I don’t have to choose. My electric bill last summer kept climbing and climbing and climbing. With this seasonal car rad setup, my electric bill (after doing the math) decreased ~$40. That’s with a 20% rate increase. Its winter folks—everyone’s bills are going up. Mine went down! And its going to go down further. With this Geothermal Loop I expect to not have to choose this coming summer, and with the way things are looking atm….I’m not going to have to choose!
So, on with the show:
This is what I did, how I did it, why I did and what I would change—Yes, If I had it to do over….I would probably do it a bit differently:
First I had to decide what kind of pipe to use for the exchanger and why: PVC, HD polyethelyne, copper, etc. Then what size for maximum surface area v. cost and all that good stuff. Ultimately, I went with 3/8” copper refrigeration coils…50’ x 4 = 200’ total. And that is one part that I might change, if I had it to do over:
My original intent was to dig up an old plant bed, dig deeper and install it into there. But after thinking for a while, I came up with a number of reasons why I really didn’t want to do that. So, I sorted out a new location and started the hole from scratch:
8’ x 5’
Then the Real work began….sheesh, what a job:
By the end of the first day I reached ~22” depth. Now keep in mind that this is clay and got harder and harder the further down I went. Some of it was like trying to dig through concrete:
Last edited by Naja002; 11-12-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Tags for this Thread