Thread: Vista Install Issue - DVD Driver Not Found??!!1

Vista Install Issue - DVD Driver Not Found??!!1

I built a new system about 6 months ago. I've got an easy OC on it of 2.8G by simply raising the multi to 14 and tapping the voltage once on the CPU and NB. Here it is.

MB - DFI LP DK 790FX M2RS
    CPU - AMD 9850 BE B3 + Zalman 9700
    RAM - 2x2G OCZ Reapers @1066
    HDD - WD 640G + 2x 80g WD
    GPU - EVGA 8800GT w/Precision setting fan to 60%
    Audio - Audigy 2 Platinum w/front ports
    Case - Norco RPC800 4U Rackmount w/minor mods for fans
    Fans - 2x120mm PWM + 2x 80mm PWM daisy chained to 4pin CPU fan controller
    DVD - Pioneer 20x DVR 216DBK IDE

I have x64 on drive C 100G partition for gaming and general work, and x32 on 50G drive D partition for AV production due to driver issues and to run lean. I made a 50G partition E for Vista, and the rest is storage.

This is my first time building a system and OCing it, and I am very happy with the results. Thanx to Tony for the info on the MB + CPU overclocking. I had the good fortune of being in a CIS class as a business student when I built it, and bought XP x64, 2x XP x32, and Vista Business x64 for $10 each through Microsoft Academic Alliance. I made the mistake of buying an ASUX 780G HDMI MB originally, but luckily it puked in time to RMA and I got this dream DFI.

I had installed Vista with that board, but after reformatting for the DFI, and installing both x64 and x32 XP, I get an error installing Vista saying I don't have the right DVD driver . . . I can't find the answer anywhere. Somewhere I read that they had the same problem after installing a new MB and they had to enable ACHI. I couldn't find it anywhere in the BIOS.

Sorry for the book, I just wanted to make sure I gave enough info for one of you to give me a good solution or answer.

Thanx in advance.

Xtreme Member
    First of all its a good idea to bring the system back to stock before installing an OS.
    Ntech Duo podcast covers tech news, products reviews, gaming, and any other technology related item.
    Listen to Ntech Duo Podcast
    Ntech Duo Blog and Show notes

UPDATE

Well, still no luck.

Last night I not only took my system down to default settings, but also reformatted all 3 of my OS partitions. I needed to do it anyway.

Same problem. So I installed XP x64 in D, and left the bigger 100g partition for vista.

I'm really trying to give Vista a shot, but it's fighting me all the way !!

DVD driver? If it was a SATA drive I could maybe see a potential issue, but with an IDE drive....

AHCI is only for SATA so that shouldn't matter.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    had u checked for bios upd ?
    Gaming: SaberThooth X79,3930k,Asus6970DCII_Xfire,32gb,120OCZV3MaxIOPS, ThermaTake Chaser MK1
    HTPC:AMD630,ATI5750,4gb,3TB,ThermalTake DH103
    Server: E4500,4GB,5TB
    Netbook: Dell Vostro 1440

Well, I flashed it when I installed the board originally . . .

The most confusing part is that the drive will burn and read DvDs. I've installed XP x32 and x64 multiple times with it. I successfully installed Vista with it on the ASUX. I'd almost try anything at this point. I'd prefer to do the BIOS as a last resort . . I'd bet there is some info in the MS site, but I've just had no success so far.

Thanks for the replies, any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by OpticWaves View Post
    Well, I flashed it when I installed the board originally . . .

The most confusing part is that the drive will burn and read DvDs. I've installed XP x32 and x64 multiple times with it. I successfully installed Vista with it on the ASUX. I'd almost try anything at this point. I'd prefer to do the BIOS as a last resort . . I'd bet there is some info in the MS site, but I've just had no success so far.

Thanks for the replies, any help is appreciated.
    its a dfi problem, for my x38 (i know that your amd) for vista x64 i have to install from a cold boot or i get that error
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Meaning hit reset and instead of restart before installing?

Sorry, installing OS's isn't something I've done alot of.

I appreciate the reply, I was starting to fill that partition, but if I can install, it would be awsome.

I'm close to giving up. I have heard that x64 XP alot faster and leaner anyway. Maybe I'm better off just using it, and a virtual machine for my production instead of installing x32 on the 3rd partition for audio/video production . . . .

Xtreme Addict
    I think you got a partition corruption. Formatting won't bring anything. You should get rid of all OS (back up data first!) by deleting all your partitions and restart from scratch. Create only one primary partition, and make the rest an extended partition with logical drives (having more than one primary can lead to a mess with drive letters if you must reinstall an OS later, like "D" becoming the "active" partition). You can have as many logical drives as you want in the extended partition, so as many OS. One 32 and one 64 should be enough if needed. More than two times Windows doesn't make sense. Or use a virtual machine (Virtual Box).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That is exactly what I did. I used the XP disc to delete and format, not quick format all 3 of the OS partitions. I then attempted to install vista in the primary, unsuccessfully, and then installed x64 on the second which is a logical drive labeled D.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticWaves View Post
    That is exactly what I did. I used the XP disc to reformat, not quick format all 3 of the OS partitions. I then attempted to install vista in the primary, unsuccessfully, and then installed x64 on the second which is a logical drive labeled D.
    again, quick or full format won't solve the problem if there's a partition corruption, you must delete the partitions and recreate them, and then finally full format them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yea, thats what I did, is delete the primary partition, then create a partition and format it. The thing is, Xp can use it just fine. Vista doesnt even get there. I select the language preference, it goes to the rainbow colored vista screen for a few minutes, then says I don't have the right driver installed and asks me for it.

So how to I install from Cold Boot. A short explanation is all that is needed.

a cold boot is were u turn it off, and discharge the psu (unplug it and hit power a couple of times) then boot and install
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Thanks, I'll try that.

Still no luck. I did the cold boot, and erased partitions, created a new one. All mutiple times.

Xtreme Addict
    For $20.00 you can buy a SATA optical drive and have this issue behind you.