Thread: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe review

One-Eyed Killing Machine

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe review

Sup guys,
    How are you doing ?

I'd like to inform you that I've just published the review of the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi-AP@n motherboard
    I'm going to quote some parts of the review now:

It's November 2008, and we're pretty close to the end of the NDA ( Non-Disclosure Agreement ) for the Core i7 CPU series from Intel.
    Is this the end of the Socket775 era ? Nope, not really. The new processors from Intel will be unveiled to the public soon and of course we're going to review them and some new motherboards with the LGA1366 socket. If you want the best, most expensive and newer processor you'll have to wait a bit and raise your budget.
    The new Core i7 CPUs will be a tad faster in some areas ( scenarios ) and incredibly faster in other areas ( especially in server-orientated scenarios ), but you don't really have to get them if you're a not so demanding user ( well... in video encoding for example they can encode a video in 11 minutes instead of 17 minutes, on a clock per clock basis [ comparing the new Core i7 processors with a Core 2 Quad-Core { Core 2 Quad / Core 2 Extreme QX9650 / QX9770 } with both of them running at the same operating frequency ], but... do you really need to get the job done that fast ? If you're not a A/V Professional and you work in the industry, you don't really need them, you can do your things just fine with the current Core 2 Duo & Core 2 Quad processors ).

The Intel P45 Express Chipset is Intel's latest mainstream ( mid to high end ) chipset for the LGA775 CPUs, and is supposed to be very good in overclocking the newest Core 2 Quad 45nm CPUs ( hitting higher FSBs than the previously released chipsets, such as 965P/P35/X38/X48/etc average ).
    The P45 Express Chipset supports both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, and today we're going to take the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe ( Intel P45 + DDR3 ) motherboard for a ride!
    The P5Q3 Deluxe features some new Asus features, the ExpressGate SSD ( a onboard SSD drive with a Slashdot linux O/S preloaded with a web browser, a image viewer, a Messaging application [ pidgin ] and Skype, bootable in 5 secs ), the new Asus Wireless Draft-n Adapter, and the Asus 6-engine EPU power saving controller.
    If you're not a fan of DDR3 RAM, you can get the Asus P5Q Deluxe, the DDR2 version of their high-end P45 board.
    After spending a lot of my time with the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi-AP@n motherboard I think that I've seen both its good and "bad" side.
    You know that I'm an open-minded person and I certainly say whatever I have to say no matter what.
    Back on topic now, the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe is a decent motherboard, it's stable, has a lot of ports to satisfy all your needs, it is overclockable and relatively easy to setup.
    It may not be the very best overclocking board to suit my extreme overclocking needs ( I'm talking about extreme overclocking with exotic and "temporary" cooling like Liquid Nitrogen and Dry Ice ), but it's a fine board for a 24/7 system overclocked or not.
    The board did great with our Quad-Core processors, reaching some crazy high FSBs with relatively low voltages.
    It also managed to retain stability at 550+ MHz FSBs with our Core 2 Duo CPUs with really low FSB & Chipset ( NorthBridge ) voltages, with the best part being that it could handle 575MHz FSB with all the settings ( except CPU & Memory Voltage ) at Auto.
    The P5Q3 Deluxe gave us some pretty good results with various 2GB Dual Channel memory kits, but failed to reach higher than the average frequencies with 4 DIMMs.
    That's not a problem because it doesn't matter. Whether you run your RAM at DDR3-1800 6-6-5-18 or DDR3-1500 7-6-6-21 it doesn't matter, your system's performance will be the same in most ( if not all ) desktop applications.
    The bundled Wireless adapter is also pretty good, compared to their previous solutions hit twice the bandwidth and the signal quality was about 35% better in my testing.
    Apart from a few problems, like the divider issue, which could easily be an isolated case ( I'm quite sure that there would be lots of people complaining in the forums if their board couldn't run their RAM at DDR3-1333 with their processor at stock [ 333MHz FSB ] ).

To sum it up, I have no hesitation to recommend this motherboard to any kind of user out there.
    It can be set up easily for the newbies, it's a good and easy to overclock board for the average joe, it can reach very high frequencies, good enough to hit any Core 2 Duo/Quad/Extreme's limits on air cooling/water cooling/phase change cooling.
    I wouldn't recommend this motherboard to the extreme overclockers ( I mean people who buy stuff just to overclock them and run various benchmarks with them ), there are better boards than the P5Q3 Deluxe in extreme overclocking ( like the Asus Rampage Extreme, the Asus P5E64 WS Evolution, the Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 and the Gigabyte GA-EP45T-Extreme ), but of course they're more expensive and using the top chipset for the LGA775 platform, the Intel X48.

Click here to read the full review
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    Great review! Thanks
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=21074 80-0-0

HTPC Rig: E3300 @ 3.5 GHz | Foxconn Blackops x48 | 8GB Kingston HyperX | 1TB WD Blue | Seasonic X560 | Corsair 650D | Sapphire 4870 1GB | Samsung 50" Plasma | HD280 Pro

Gaming Rig: 2500K | Noctua NH D14 | Asrock Extreme4 P67 | 8GB Gskill | 1TB WD Black | Corsair AX750 | Silverstone FT02B | EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB | Dell U3011 | Edifier s5.1

Xtreme Guru
    I had this board for a short period of time, what a nightmare trying to find a 4GB kit that worked, worst board i have ever owned, im pretty sure you remember BENCH, i went through hell, have recent bios's helped?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    The newer BIOSes made things less complicated, and now some people are getting better results.
    But still overclocking the board with 4 DIMMs is tricky and requires at least some skills and experience in RAM tweaking.
    On the 2*2GB ( 4GB Dual Channel Memory Kits ) front, this board seems to prefer the Samsung kits, but still doesn't overclock them as high as the Gigabyte EP45T-Extreme and some other boards ( Asus Rampage Extreme, Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6, Asus P5K3 Deluxe, Asus Striker II Extreme ) do.

My bad luck surely didn't help in this case.
    A friend of mine borrowed another P5Q3 Deluxe ( fresh batch ) and managed to run various benchmarks ( including wPrime 1024m and SuperPi 32m ) at 640MHz FSB with every setting at Auto ( except Vcore and Vddr ).
    I on the other side had to tweak all the settings to get over 590MHz fully stable.

This motherboard pushed my limits in the beginning... I was 'bout to throw it out of the window
    I'm glad I didn't get to finish the review back in June, because at the given time its BIOS sucked and I would've given it 3/10
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

OCTeamHungary™
    great review Bill!

Xtreme Addict
    just another one in the line of 1001 mobo's, with asus the deluxe boards always managed to be a bit better then the lower budget ones. so 0 surprises here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..