Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: eVGA 9600GSO Dual-Slot volt mod?

Xtreme Mentor
    Yes PIN 7 is a ground of the APW7067N chip. Any ground will do fine, however if you are not so good at soldering, choose a larger more easily accessible ground like one of the grounds of the 6 pin PCI-E power connector.

You should also buy a DMM, even a cheap one, there is no way you should do the mods without it. You need to find alternative grounds, test your soldering work before you power on the card, and use it to measure voltages after you have done the mods.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

Quote Originally Posted by CryptiK View Post
    Yes PIN 7 is a ground of the APW7067N chip. Any ground will do fine, however if you are not so good at soldering, choose a larger more easily accessible ground like one of the grounds of the 6 pin PCI-E power connector.

You should also buy a DMM, even a cheap one, there is no way you should do the mods without it. You need to find alternative grounds, test your soldering work before you power on the card, and use it to measure voltages after you have done the mods.
    Where can I pick up a cheap one?

Is this good enough?

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Size-Hand...1126761&sr=1-4
    Last edited by quadomatic; 01-04-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Depends where you live, but places like radioshack stock them, have a search online or in electronics shops where you live. A cheap one can cost around $10 - $20 and will be fine for what you want to do.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

I went ahead and ordered that one from Amazon last night. My VRs should arrive in the next couple days too.

Xtreme Member
    I just finished GPUv mod as posted.. somethings definitely not right..cant tell if its OCP or not. Rig wont even POST with GPU, so I have no voltage reading at all.. I re-soldered to a different ground location..still same results.

-is setting new VID the only way to mod for OCP?
    "If you wield a sword you must be intent on cutting the enemy" - Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
    I just finished GPUv mod as posted.. somethings definitely not right..cant tell if its OCP or not. Rig wont even POST with GPU, so I have no voltage reading at all.. I re-soldered to a different ground location..still same results.

Darn...I hope vMem mod still works.

Xtreme Mentor

Did you set the VR to max resistance before soldering it on? Are your solder joint touching anything they shouldn't be?

Yes theoretically if you remove the 2 resistors largon indicated for the VID mod it should also move the OCP/OVP (I'd guess it's OVP as there is very little current being drawn at idle) trip point up accordingly.

If you do decide to try and remove them, be careful and gentle doing so. They are quite easy to break.

Quote Originally Posted by CryptiK View Post
    Did you set the VR to max resistance before soldering it on? Are your solder joint touching anything they shouldn't be?

Yes theoretically if you remove the 2 resistors largon indicated for the VID mod it should also move the OCP/OVP (I'd guess it's OVP as there is very little current being drawn at idle) trip point up accordingly.

If you do decide to try and remove them, be careful and gentle doing so. They are quite easy to break.
    Does it have to be set to max resistance before soldering? Can't you change it afterwards?

Also, why does removing resistors fix the OCP issue, but not changing voltage through the FB pin?

Xtreme Mentor
    Yes it should be set to max resistance before soldering on, as this puts the vGPU close to standard, and then you decrease the resistance of the VR to increase the vGPU. If you have the VR resistance set too low before soldering on, it may be trying to set the vGPU above the OVP trip point and not allowing the card to turn on.

Removing the resistors and setting the VID to ~1.3v as I said *should* increase the OVP trip point, but the OVP trip point may also be set by a separate R/C circuit and the VID resistor removal may put the vGPU above this. I have yet to really have a good look at the circuit (I should get time to do this tonight sometime), largon may be familiar enough with it to suggest something here.

Xtreme Guru
    VID determines OVP trip point which according to the datasheet is typically VID+170mV so setting VID->1.31250v will never trigger OVP. FB mod can and will eventually trigger OVP.

OCP will never give problems in idle. OCP triggers only during load.

CL3P20,
    Please measure resistance between your soldering points with the mod installed.
    And also, resistance between yellow dot (fb pin) and any of the pads left of the yellow dot:

Last edited by largon; 01-06-2009 at 03:29 AM. Reason: nwm
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Member
    resistance with mod- is reading the same Ohms as the VR not hooked up -> .105k Ohms I have tried 3x different ground locations now..all with same results.

Measuring between the above 'yellow' and resistor directly below it [in pic] = .105k
    Measuring between the above 'yellow' and resistor directly above it [in pic] = .0000k

*I made sure to preset max resistance on the VR, before installing too .... btw, stock resistance between yellow and ground = 3.94k ohms

Xtreme Member
    pic with first ground position I tried..

..all connections double checked.. ohms still at .105k as soon as I connect VR.. am I retarded or what..? This should work right..?

..all connections double checked.. ohms still at .105k as soon as I connect VR.. am I retarded or what..? This should work right..?
    Is it possible that the VR is broken? Even if this mod wasn't workable because of OVP tripping, you should still be able to set a higher resistance, right?

Xtreme Guru
    You sure that resistor with the yellow dot isn't shorted?
    edit:
    Does that VID (which is it, 1.21250V or 1.26250V?) work without the FB mod?
    Last edited by largon; 01-07-2009 at 01:00 AM.

Xtreme Member
    @ quadromatic- I just bought 8x of the VR's yesterday..took it out of the package..straight to the PCB.. I suppose it could be possible though.

@ largon- the resistor measures 3.9k as soon as I remove the ground from the VR.. which is original resistance value, so- Yes I am sure the resistor is not bridged or shorted. I also tried pin7 on the 7067N for another ground..same results..just wanted to make sure. I will swap VR's out with a new one..and report back..

Xtreme Guru
    Wait, what?
    Are you saying that the same spots that measure 3.9kΩ without the mod measures 0.105k (~105Ω) when the mod is in? That is, resistance between FB and ground is 3.9kΩ without the VR and 0.105k with it?

Are you sure you're using a 100kΩ (100 000Ω) VR as instructed? Sounds like it's 100Ω.
    Last edited by largon; 01-07-2009 at 01:17 AM.

Xtreme Member
    OMG.. you are so right.. I have waaayy to many VR's laying around here.. must have grabbed the 100 by accident *doh*.. god I feel like an idiot right now..
    Thanks for the correction, Largon.. I appreciate your patience, with my ignorance..

TY for helping a fellow 'Fin'.

Xtreme Guru
    Hehe. Well, we'll see if I've been of any use after you get the correct VR in there - as in does the mod work.
    Am I right you've already done some vGPU VID mods? How do they work?

TY for helping a fellow 'Fin'.
    You got finnish roots?

Awesome. Sucks that the mistake was made but it still leaves hope. Let us know how it works out.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    Hehe. Am I right you've already done some vGPU VID mods? How do they work?

You got finnish roots?
    Yeah..smooth move on my part.. rofl.. I 'prep' my VR's with little 4" leads on them..so its easier to get them mixed up with my poor organizational skills, I guess..

I have removed two SMR's for a VID increase to 1.2xx volts..I'll post some pics later so you can let me know what I goofed up on. ..just got in from work..its 3am here.. *sleep*

and ya.. with a last name liek "Juntunen" its kinda hard to deny the heritage [not that I was trying]

Hopefully tomorrow, I can swing by my electronics supply and grab the right VR's this time, and get something going on these GPU's finally. I will be modding 8x of them, for use in a folding farm for a member over on OCN.

*ATT's keeping me 'booked' lately with work all over the state..so trying to put time in on the mod when I can..

Well CL3P20 kicked me in the ass yesterday....so it's time for me to get back into the "real" world

I've been going about modifying vGPU via the BIOS, rather than VR, but my results have been trying my patience

1.1v is the normal BIOS vGPU limit - I've made several attempts to modify the voltage tables and artificially increase the VID but varied success. My latest attempt was setting 3D VID at 1.23, Extra at 1.26 - it's been a disaster, although I'm not 100% sure what the root of the problem is yet. Core temps increase 7C (from 1.1v) - 3 of the 4 GPU's (used for folding) run fine at tame speeds of 700/1836/900, but the 4th crashes within 10 minutes. At 725/1890/950 2 of the cards run fine, the other two crash almost instantly.

The problem is that is a nearly impossible task for me to measure vGPU on all four cards while they are installed and I simply don't have the time to test/measure each one individually at the moment My gut tells me though that the VID specified in the BIOS isnt being correctly applied - even at 1.1v all 4 cards could do 700/1758/950.....

Now, what I'm curious is if I remove the resistors AND set the VID to ~1.3v will it actually work and not induce OVP?

Xtreme Mentor
    Changing VID will not trigger OVP. It shifts the OVP point up accordingly. See largon's post:

Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    VID determines OVP trip point which according to the datasheet is typically VID+170mV so setting VID->1.31250v will never trigger OVP.

Agreed - but my concern is setting VID at 1.3v and removing the resistors

With those resistors removed and VID set at 1.3v wouldn't the actual vGPU be higher than 1.3v? Certainly the variance would be higher than 170mV if default VID is 1.1v and removing the resistors shifts this to 1.3v

Xtreme Guru
    As stated, "removing the resistors" means you're setting a new VID, and as such a new OVP trigger point. Thus, whatever you do to the VID resistors you will not see OVP kicking in.

Sorry - I should have been more clear - when I stated setting VID to 1.3v I meant via the BIOS

I was referring to altering the BIOS voltage identifiers to push VID to 1.3v in conjunction with physically removing the resistors. Hopefully that makes more sense! lol

In all honesty I'm probably fighting a losing battle trying to adjust VID in the BIOS
    Last edited by whodie; 01-08-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast