Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: eVGA 9600GSO Dual-Slot volt mod?

I got some OCZ Freeze and put the old cooler back on the card. The temps dropped a good 10 degrees on load from before. The volt mods still don't appear to be doing it for me.

I shaded the memory resistor but i haven't gotten anything out of it. In fact I had to lower mem speeds to 1037. It's probably because this cooler doesn't actually provide adequate cooling to memory.

We'll see how it works out once I get the Accelero S1 on Tuesday and can actually put heatsinks on the memory, as opposed to the stupid styrofoam pads that come with the card. It seems like whatever ability the cooler HAD to cool the memory isn't there anymore (there was some liquid sitting on the memory chips when I took the cooler off, but that wasn't there by the time I put the cooler back on, which was at least a couple weeks later.)

Xtreme Member
    It seems, on the data sheet for the RT8802A, that FB is independent of both the DAC and droop circuits...so shading FB resistor, or FB to VR should not increase GPUv at all. I have been pouring over this and various threads for a while now..[i have 8 GSO's in front of me awaiting mods]. It looks to me that 'Adj' on pin 15 should tune vdroop.. I might test this out after a confirmed vcore read..

Any luck yet, I will be removing VID2 for 1.218v idle..I am gonna have to put one of these on the MCW60 to be able to prod around easier..
    "If you wield a sword you must be intent on cutting the enemy" - Musashi

Awesome, good to have another person snooping around on this thing. I'm still not sure that the memory volt mod was actually successful, since I wasn't able to push memory any more than I had (and had to even drop the speeds some).

How would you find a vCore read point? Also, the card has to be on to be read right?

Xtreme Member
    Edit:

GPUv I am using is on the back of the large inductors :thumb:
    Last edited by CL3P20; 11-28-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Wow thanks I was doing electrical tape and floppy wire to test those mosef but not the two legs. I did a lot of reapplying of thermal grease and putting heatsink. I might do this if I have time.

----
    What was ohms when you did the pencil mod on vmem?

--Uodate 11/26--
    I don't know if this Samsung memory is really bad at overclocking I need like 2.17v for 1100 Mhz. Anyone know what's good safe voltage for this memory?

I tried the measure points so far I get .9 on middle leg of the mosef while left leg is 9.9 (Don't remember if it's the top or bottom mosef)
    Last edited by panzerchaos47; 11-27-2008 at 12:02 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I tried removing VID resistors #3 and 4..for 1.21v on one of my cards.. strange..the card works fine..but as far as I can tell..the mod has no effect. Temps, and clocks are the same as before the mod. Only vmeasure I can find reads @ 1.04v..which makes sense if default vcore for my cards is ~1.08v..that being load.. ~.04v less for idle.
    I am just gonna have to try something else... I think pin40 'VIDsel' has something to do with it.. maybe VR will cause something to happen. At this point I'd be satisfied with change..good or bad. :o

Quote Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
    I tried removing VID resistors #3 and 4..for 1.21v on one of my cards.. strange..the card works fine..but as far as I can tell..the mod has no effect. Temps, and clocks are the same as before the mod. Only vmeasure I can find reads @ 1.04v..which makes sense if default vcore for my cards is ~1.08v..that being load.. ~.04v less for idle.
    I am just gonna have to try something else... I think pin40 'VIDsel' has something to do with it.. maybe VR will cause something to happen. At this point I'd be satisfied with change..good or bad. :o
    Hmph, yeah...this is really odd. Nothing we've tried has worked so far.

Maybe we need to get someone else to look at it as well. It'd certainly help...

So I put on my Accelero S1, finally. I strapped a 120mm fan onto it as well. It's WORLDS quieter than the 9600GSO dual slot fan at 100%. Temps have dropped a sizable amount, and I was able to raise clocks up again.

Now, my card runs at 741/1836/1053. That's quite a bit higher than I was able to run the shader clock before (clocks before were 741/1782/1037), so I'm happy with the increase. Also, temps seem to peak at 53 or so in artifact scanner. I can't push anything further than this though, or else I get some decent artifacting.

Any clue whether we could just try a bios vmod for kicks to see?

Xtreme Member
    BIOS might actually work..especially since I cant seem to make heads-or-tails of the rest of the datasheet. According to the datasheet, the IC is compatible with 3 different types of board layouts..the nomenclature for BIOS GPUv is listed in the data sheet..If you are handy with BIOS flashing, you might give it a try.

*I will solder the crap out of something before I attempt a BIOS flash..I am a BIOS flash noob.

BIOS might actually work..especially since I cant seem to make heads-or-tails of the rest of the datasheet. According to the datasheet, the IC is compatible with 3 different types of board layouts..the nomenclature for BIOS GPUv is listed in the data sheet..If you are handy with BIOS flashing, you might give it a try.

*I will solder the crap out of something before I attempt a BIOS flash..I am a BIOS flash noob.
    People have said that 8800GS and 9600GSO have voltages limited to 1.15V though. When I looked at the datasheet for VID resistors, it looks like the card was limited to 1.11875V though. I can take a look though at bios, though I'm still a flash n00b.

We're really going to need help if we're going to go the hard mod route though.

WAIT!!!!!!

There is no mod that has VID3, VID4, VID1, and VID6 removed that would put it at 1.21v. Removing VID3 and VID4 would put it at 0.94375V, since VID1 and VID6 aren't in by default. So maybe we aren't moving in the wrong direction with removing resistors.

I'm pretty sure this is a discrepancy in how we read the data sheet.

I think 0's mean the points are not connected, and 1's mean points are connected. If we read it the way you did, and say 0's mean points are connected, and 1's are not connected, then default voltage is 1.03750v. I don't think that's right, since when panzerchaos looked at bios he said the highest voltage was 1.1v, which is what I read it as with 0's not being connected 1's being connected.

So instead, if you think that the way I read is right instead, and if you put back VID3 and VID4, removed VID2 and see what voltage that gives you.

Do we need to maybe mod the bios after removing the resistors as well?
    Last edited by quadomatic; 12-06-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I think 0's mean the points are not connected, and 1's mean points are connected. If we read it the way you did, and say 0's mean points are connected, and 1's are not connected, then default voltage is 1.03750v. I don't think that's right, since when panzerchaos looked at bios he said the highest voltage was 1.1v, which is what I read it as with 0's not being connected 1's being connected.
    the vcore read I am using indicates 1.04v at idle..before and after the resistors were removed..clocks and temps reflected the same...

..pretty sure it says on the datasheet which digit indicates 'open' or 'grounded'.. cant open PDF right now, running on stripped bench OS ATM.

the vcore read I am using indicates 1.04v at idle..before and after the resistors were removed..clocks and temps reflected the same...

..pretty sure it says on the datasheet which digit indicates 'open' or 'grounded'.. cant open PDF right now, running on stripped bench OS ATM.
    I think you're right, since I found it in the datasheet now, but specifically for that chart. Still doesn't explain what panzerchaos found with the 1.1v in bios.

1.04v is pretty low...I think others were able to do 1.15v by bios mod on theirs. If the chip sets it to 1.04v, does that mean its hard locked to 1.04v? And we can't raise it more than that by bios?

Maybe there's some regulator that needs to be modded too, along with the resistors removed.

I just finished doing a bios mod. I backed up the bios from the card using nvflash, and 1.1V was listed, so I'm not sure how that fits in with the 1.04v. I changed voltage to 1.1V in nibitor and flashed the card. Doing the mod did nothing for me. I wasn't able to raise any speeds without seeing artifacts, just as before.

Can artifacts be volt related? Either the artifacts I get right now when I push clocks more are related to a lack of voltage, or this card just has a wall. They aren't temperature related, since at 48 degrees I get artifacts if I push clocks further than what they are now (741/1836/1053).
    Last edited by quadomatic; 12-07-2008 at 05:33 PM.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1095130

I made a thread on TechPowerUp that pretty much compiles all of our findings into one post. Hopefully it attracts some help.

I'm going to try shading the memory resistor again and try to do it right this time. Maybe I used a bad pencil.
    Last edited by quadomatic; 12-07-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Xtreme Member
    i have been going over this datasheet with an electronics 'buddy' ...he said it seems like the output and input current portions are separately controlled..

ie- the mods are for the input side of the circuit..like 'vsense'..but no matter the input resistance..the output is locked to a certain limit by another IC or diode..

In his opinion..two mods will most likely be needed to regulate voltage manually...still working on it though.

Any updates?

Xtreme Member
    None for me..future is looking dismal.

*Largon suggested to mod VR to pin #4 of the RT88 chip for GPUv.. but I am pretty sure this has already been confirmed as a 'no-go' for GPUv. I have tried a few other things..shading resistors linked to vdroop and OCP..but nothing.

None for me..future is looking dismal.

*Largon suggested to mod VR to pin #4 of the RT88 chip for GPUv.. but I am pretty sure this has already been confirmed as a 'no-go' for GPUv. I have tried a few other things..shading resistors linked to vdroop and OCP..but nothing.
    Dang....is this just a coincidence or do they just HATE volt modders lol...

Any ideas on a memory vmod? That's where this card is lacking most, so it'd probably be the most helpful. I tried the pencil but it didn't appear to do anything for me.

Xtreme Member
    From panzer's post on pg#1..

I found out there was vmod for vmem which is kind of useful since this card has limited memory bandwidth.

Same as what I did but it's for APW7067N that 14pin on top of the penny. Look at datasheet for FB pin then shade resister. If you measure it stock is 591 (or near) ohms.
    http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datashe.../APW7067N.html

Voltage measurement is very accurate. Check same picture that I posted it's lower right of the green arrow.

590 ohms = 1.88v / 1.90v
    572 ohms = 1.93v / 1.94v
    556 ohms = 1.97v / 1.98v

This first successful vmod I did but for vmem.
    ..does this mod not work..I hadnt bothered with it yet [been busy trying to work GPUv], but was planning too..

From panzer's post on pg#1..

..does this mod not work..I hadnt bothered with it yet [been busy trying to work GPUv], but was planning too..
    It doesn't appear to work for me.

Xtreme Guru
    This thread is doomed and pencils are to blame. Mods work for some, but not for some. Makes no sense.
    People trying to vmod without using a DMM or even without actual measuring points?

Anyways, here are the measuring points:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eVGA_9600GSO_measuringpoints.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	92122

Someone should measure idle/load voltages from these points...

vMEM mod:

Name:	eVGA_9600GSO_vMEM.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	92124
    Pin#7 is ground, eg.

vGPU mod:

Name:	eVGA_9600GSO_vGPU.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	92125

vMEM definitely works, vGPU may cause OVP tripping. Testing needed.
    Alternative vGPU mod soldering point would be the pad immediately below the yellow dot.

Here's a vGPU mod that sets VID to 1.31250v:

VID mod pulled for now.

edit:
    There is no reason why FB method wouldn't work. RT8802 has been modded succesfully in the past via the FB pin. The "issues" brought up in post #27 are present in all cards.

edit2:
    VID mod pulled.
    Last edited by largon; 01-25-2009 at 01:03 AM.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Largon to the rescue! Thanks a ton.

I'll get a hold of some variable resistors and give the vMem mod a shot first, since memory is the bigger issue with this card.

Do you know where the ground is for the vGPU mod? The datasheet puts GND on pin 41, but it's labeled on top of the chip...kind of odd.

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee...K/RT8802A.html

Figure I'll order these then:

10kohm for vMEM: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...kV8v6zaQ%3d%3d
    100kohm for vGPU: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...8hAI4JaQ%3d%3d

I ended up ordering from Newark instead...lower prices, lower shipping cost and the VRs aren't oos there.
    Last edited by quadomatic; 01-04-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Any ground will do.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    Any ground will do.
    So can I just solder them both to pin 7 on the chip for vmem mod?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast