Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD to Give RV770 a Refresh, G200b Counterattack Planned

Xtreme Member

AMD to Give RV770 a Refresh, G200b Counterattack Planned

AMD to Give RV770 a Refresh, G200b Counterattack Planned

The RV770 graphics processor changed AMD's fortunes in the graphics processor industry and put it back in the race for supremacy over the larger rival NVIDIA. The introduction of RV770-based products had a huge impact on the mid-range and high-end graphics card markets, which took NVIDIA by surprise. Jen-Hsun Huang, the CEO of NVIDIA has been quoted saying that they had underestimated their competitor’s latest GPU, referring to RV770. While the Radeon HD 4870 graphics accelerator provided direct competition to the 192 shader-laden GeForce GTX 260, the subsequent introduction of a 216 shader variant saw it lose ground, leaving doubling of memory size to carve out the newer SKU, the Radeon HD 4870 1GB. Performance benchmarks of this card from all over the media have been mixed, but show that AMD isn’t giving up this chance for gaining technological supremacy.

In Q4 2008, NVIDIA is expected to release three new graphics cards: GeForce GTX 270 and GeForce GTX 290. The cards are based on NVIDIA’s G200 refresh, the G200b, which incorporates a new manufacturing technology to facilitate higher clock-speeds, stepping up performance. This looks to threaten the market position of AMD’s RV770, since it’s already established that G200 when overclocked to its stable limits, achieves more performance than RV770 pushed to its limits. This leaves AMD with some worries, since it cannot afford to lose the wonderful market-position its cash-cow, the RV770 is currently in, to an NVIDIA product that outperforms it by a significant margin, in its price-domain. The company’s next generation graphics processor would be the RV870, which still has some time left before it could be rushed in, since its introduction is tied to the constraints of foundry companies such as TSMC, and the availability of the required manufacturing process (40nm silicon lithography) by them. While TSMC takes its time working on that, there’s a fair bit of time left, for RV770 to face NVIDIA, which given the circumstances, looks a lost battle. Is AMD going to do something about its flagship GPU? Will AMD make an effort to maintain its competitiveness before the next round of the battle for technological supremacy begins? The answer is tilting in favour of yes.

AMD would be giving the RV770 a refresh, with the introduction of a new graphics processor, which could come out before RV870. This graphics processor is to be codenamed RV790 while the possible new SKU name is kept under the wraps for now. AMD would be looking to maintain the same exact manufacturing process of the RV770 and all its machinery, but it would be making changes to certain parts of the GPU that genuinely facilitate it to run at higher clock-speeds, unleashing the best efficiency level of all its 10 ALU clusters.

Déjà-vu? AMD has already attempted to achieve something similar, with its big plans on the Super-RV770 GPU, where the objective was the same: to achieve higher clock speeds, but the approach wasn’t right. All they did back then, was to put batches of RV770 through binning, pick the best performing parts, and use it on premium SKUs with improved cooling. The attempt evidently wasn’t very successful: no AMD partner was able to sell graphics cards that ran stable out of the box, in clock-speeds they set out to achieve: excess of 950 MHz.

This time around, the objective remains the same: to make the machinery of RV770 operate at very high clock-speeds, to bring out the best performance-efficiency of those 800 stream processors, but the approach would be different: to reengineer parts of the GPU to facilitate higher clock speeds. This aims to bring in a boost to the shader compute power (SCP) of the GPU, and push its performance. What gains are slated to be brought about? Significant and sufficient. Significant, with the increase of reference clock-speeds beyond those of what the current RV770 can reach with overclocking, and sufficient for making it competitive with G200b based products.

With this, AMD looks to keep its momentum as it puts up a great competition with NVIDIA, yielding great products from both camps, at great prices, all in all propelling the fastest growing segment in the PC hardware industry, graphics processors. This is going to be a Merry Xmas [shopping season] for graphics cards buyers.
    Source

So what do you think, plausible or not?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I dont see it happen. Specially not with the current power consumption. There is simply nothing to give from.

Is techpowerup a new fudzilla/theinq/thg? They seems to have posted alot wierd stuff lately. Most are harvested from chinese sites/forums with an added bad translation.

And where did the SCP increase come from....
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    faster cards , better drivers , crossfire X possibility , Bring it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, we'll just have to wait it unfolded, i do believe they have done it before when R420 was proceeded by R480, with better clock overall while using the same fabrication process -though the added clockspeed was nowhere close compared to what is aimed with this new revision. I must say it's rather stupid for ATi if they don't do anything while G200b is looming, only using cost advantage as their safety net.

Xtreme Guru
    that would be 4880.. 4890.. 4970.. 4980.. 4990 ?

definitely posible

besides.. smart move on amds part if indeed they refresh
    Last edited by NapalmV5; 11-07-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Like nVidia? Monkey see monkey do?

Xtreme Addict
    Hmmm... seperate shader domain, this was hinted at before RV770 launch. It is doubtful they would spend too much time "reengineering" the GPU but if they figured something out, I could definitely see it happening.

As for TDP, a respin might slightly improve thermals and plus they still have room to work with.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

I am Xtreme
    I wonder how they would do it... Clocks increase seems insane considering current heat and power consumption.... Unless TSMC is improving their process....

Xtreme Addict
    Would love it but don't see how either unless they really improved the process for less power consumption.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusCon View Post
    Like nVidia? Monkey see monkey do?
    No, nvidia was rename and resell this sounds like they'd actually do some tweaks and adjustments to it and not sell it as a "new" generation but a revision within the current generation. Maybe like a 4890 or something.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Engineering The Xtreme
    this is very interesting, I am in the market for a beast right now.....

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    No, nvidia was rename and resell this sounds like they'd actually do some tweaks and adjustments to it and not sell it as a "new" generation but a revision within the current generation. Maybe like a 4890 or something.
    *cough* Wrong *cough*

9800GTX -> 9800GTX+
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    *cough* Wrong *cough*

9800GTX -> 9800GTX+
    I thought that was just a die shrink which reduced power consumption a bit. My bad.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Brilliant Idiot
    I've known about a refresh since the 4870 released......Old news? See my sig... I wouldn't expect "much" however in the department of clock speeds. Think lower power consumption

For those that don't know "little dragon" is supposed to be the codename for the RV770 refresh not the next gen card as rumours would have you think. I would guesstimate late Q1

I'm definitely not rejecting the idea that I do or do not know something or anything or have a source.
    Last edited by chew*; 11-07-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23 View Post
    I wonder how they would do it... Clocks increase seems insane considering current heat and power consumption.... Unless TSMC is improving their process....
    My guess is that they identified some critical bottlenecks in the design that can be "easily" fixed. Potentially, they'll be able to increase the clock speeds while maintaining or reducing the voltage levels.

Whether or not this is a good idea depends on the bottleneck: my guess is that the bottleneck is fairly significant, else they won't be considering this.

Xtreme Addict
    If they can pull it off, I will jump on board. was gonna wait till rv870 but im dying to replace all these 3870's and x2's
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    I thought that was just a die shrink which reduced power consumption a bit. My bad.
    Well, it's the same approach. Just different ways.

Nvidia used a Die Shrink + Revision to achieve higher clocks
    ATI sounds like they want to remodel the R770 to the R790, Get higher clocks and the typical name I would think would be 4950,4970, maybe a X2.

But it's doubtful for them wanting to remodel the chip in such a short amount of time since They might as well wait for the R8xx. I think it would be bad for profit.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I dont see it happen. Specially not with the current power consumption. There is simply nothing to give from.

Is techpowerup a new fudzilla/theinq/thg? They seems to have posted alot wierd stuff lately. Most are harvested from chinese sites/forums with an added bad translation.

And where did the SCP increase come from....
    they could get higher clocks, 800mhz is quite possible, but not with the current stock cooling.

My 4870 runs on a T-RAD² @ 830mhz 24/7 and only gets ~75°C at full load at gaming. (I dare to run unpatched furmark -> else the vrms go over 125°C in 1min.) though under gaming (crysis:wh) the hover around ~80-90°C)

Xtreme Addict
    since it’s already established that G200 when overclocked to its stable limits, achieves more performance than RV770 pushed to its limits.
    I found this comment intriguing, as it goes against the erroneous propaganda some ATI fans keep spreading around about how the RV770 architecture scales in performance with clockspeed increases compared to the G200 series.
    Intel Core i7 6900K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Asus X99A II
    32 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3400 CL15 CR1
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Western Digital Raptor 600GB
    Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner
    Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner with NEC chipset
    Antec HCP-1200w Power Supply
    Viewsonic XG2703-GS
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Logitech G502 gaming mouse w/Razer Exact Mat
    Logitech G910 mechanical gaming keyboard
    Windows 8 x64 Pro

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by deathman20 View Post
    Would love it but don't see how either unless they really improved the process for less power consumption.
    Power consumption, from what I have seen, put the 4870 around the ~140w mark. Still gives them ~20w to work with, plus whatever they might gain from the revision.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I've known about a refresh since the 4870 released......Old news? See my sig... I wouldn't expect "much" however in the department of clock speeds. Think lower power consumption

For those that don't know "little dragon" is supposed to be the codename for the RV770 refresh not the next gen card as rumours would have you think. I would guesstimate late Q1

I'm definitely not rejecting the idea that I do or do not know something or anything or have a source.
    Hmmm... I would hope this revision of RV770 would be out before the end of the year, at the very worst early Q1 or else there isn't much point. Late Q1 was the original target date for RV870 which seems to have been pushed back a month or two due to 40nm delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Carfax View Post
    I found this comment intriguing, as it goes against the erroneous propaganda some ATI fans keep spreading around about how the RV770 architecture scales in performance with clockspeed increases compared to the G200 series.
    You misunderstood them, they isn't what they were saying at all.
    What they were saying is that G200 overclocked still performs better than RV770 overclocked, like it should. They are not saying that G200 scales better with clocks than RV770. G200 has what, a ~15-25% performance advantage on average against RV770, so it will still have a performance advantage when both are overclocked.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 11-07-2008 at 12:32 PM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If RV870 can be launched one quarter behind at most against G200b, i can see ATi stand still strategy's implemented. But if it's gonna be late or indeed still quite sometime to go before launched in their roadmap, and the respin or redesigning is possible AND feasible, it would be foolish on ATi's side to let G200b goes unchallenged for more than one quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by spursindonesia View Post
    If RV870 can be launched one quarter behind at most against G200b, i can see ATi stand still strategy's implemented. But if it's gonna be late or indeed still quite sometime to go before launched in their roadmap, and the respin or redesigning is possible AND feasible, it would be foolish on ATi's side to let G200b goes unchallenged for more than one quarter.
    GT200b had to go for another respin, looks like bad yields. at the current time frame, the Gt200b might face the R870 lol. Wow.....I might have to buy a R870...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    You misunderstood them, they isn't what they were saying at all.
    What they were saying is that G200 overclocked still performs better than RV770 overclocked, like it should. They are not saying that G200 scales better with clocks than RV770. G200 has what, a ~15-25% performance advantage on average, so it will still have a performance advantage when both are overclocked.
    I'm not claiming the article is stating that the G200 scales better than the RV770.

All I was saying, is that it contradicts a widely held view by ATI fans that the RV770 scales better than the G200 in terms of performance gleaned from clockspeed increases, allowing it to compete with an overclocked G200 even with an inferior overclock, which simply isn't true when you look at the data.

Both the G200 and the RV770 scale similarly in performance when you increase the clockspeed, but because the G200 has more headroom, you can get more out of it.
    Last edited by Carfax; 11-07-2008 at 12:40 PM.
    Intel Core i7 6900K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Asus X99A II
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner
    Viewsonic XG2703-GS
    Windows 8 x64 Pro

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Warboy View Post
    GT200b had to go for another respin, looks like bad yields. at the current time frame, the Gt200b might face the R870 lol. Wow.....I might have to buy a R870...
    What evidence is there, besides Charlie's article (not exactly prime evidence) that the Gt200b is facing bad yields?
    Intel Core i7 6900K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Asus X99A II
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner
    Viewsonic XG2703-GS
    Windows 8 x64 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Carfax View Post
    What evidence is there, besides Charlie's article (not exactly prime evidence) that the Gt200b is facing bad yields?
    It's called common sense, even I can see it. The GT200 faced yield problems in the beginning. So add a Die shrink. The Chance of a yield problem will increase. Of Course Nvidia is starting to do good with the GT200 as of lately. But it's just common sense case. So there is some facts hidden (and I mean hidden since I don't like charlie) in Charlie's article. ATi seems to have a easier time doing a die shrink then Nvidia. That's simple to explain too. The GT200b vs the R870 was a joke if you couldn't tell tho.
    Last edited by Warboy; 11-07-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast