Thread: john lockes state of nature

Xtreme Addict

john lockes state of nature

Can someone tell me what this is about exactly?

Like for what purpose does he make use of it?

I've been reading this several times and hardly understand it. Need some sleep...
    Watch 24!

Q6600 G0 w/ Scythe Zipang
    A Data 2x2gb DDR2-800
    Corsair 750w PSU
    8800GTX
    320gb Maxtor HDD
    Audigy 2 ZS
    RocketFish case

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Can someone tell me what this is about exactly?

Like for what purpose does he make use of it?

I've been reading this several times and hardly understand it. Need some sleep...
    It's a critique of Hobbes. Hobbes believed the "state of nature" was completely lawless and without injustice (since no laws). Locke felt that the "law of nature" was bounded by Reason. He was making an argument that even pre-"law of man" we are bound by reason not to harm or steal from others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    Isn't it weird that no one ever talks about the nature of humanity any more? These used to be serious, important issues. And its not as if the issue was ever settled. Maybe we just got to the point were everyone agreed that we couldn't know the answer with any certainty.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    Isn't it weird that no one ever talks about the nature of humanity any more? These used to be serious, important issues. And its not as if the issue was ever settled. Maybe we just got to the point were everyone agreed that we couldn't know the answer with any certainty.
    Seriously, most people are too busy watching TV or playing video games or texting to be bothered to think about anything significant. Plus in the last 10 to 15 years, at least in the States, there has seemed to be an embrace of "non-sophistication" (i.e. being stupid).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Funnily enough I was listening to a Kaiser Chiefs track with the chorous "It's coooooool, to know nothing" this morning.