Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Core i7 Review Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    That's always been the case an always will be. It's the OC'ers mantra...

"Control The Heat"
    Yes, but rightly or wrongly the AMD Fanboi attacks will say that Nehalem at high overclocks produces much more heat than Penryn at high overclocks.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    Yes, but rightly or wrongly the AMD Fanboi attacks will say that Nehalem at high overclocks produces much more heat than Penryn at high overclocks.

Well........that's because they will have no performance argument.

Edited: OK, sorry, the devil made me do it. LOL
    Last edited by T_Flight; 11-12-2008 at 03:37 PM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I think people have to just plain grow up and understand that what you buy is your choice and based on many factors including cost.
    Today you can build a pretty decent AMD based machine for very short money and that has to appeal to many people.
    Then the factor of "what your used to"
    Like a comfortable pair of shoes, someone whos owed a particular brand knows before building what to expect.
    Yes, Nehalem does generate more heat than Penryn.
    I have the following and all essentially with the same cooling,(True w/120mm fan) :
    Q6600(65nm kentsfield)@3600: 50C @100% load
    Harpertown(dual socket Penryn)@3600;51C@100% load
    Nehalem i7-965@3733;60C@100% load
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Guru
    Does anyone know a good way to check if a cpu is flat, my heatsink is not making good contact and i believe its my cpu, i have tried re seating about 10 times, i cannot get full contact.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    Does anyone know a good way to check if a cpu is flat, my heatsink is not making good contact and i believe its my cpu, i have tried re seating about 10 times, i cannot get full contact.
    Razer blade?
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

I am Xtreme
    Their new line of attack will be the heat levels generated on high overclocks.
    Yup, I know you're right

I've just been laughing and too busy to post lately. Still seeing too much of the same old stuff. Said part for many who are disappointed that Nelly is kicking @$$ is lame. Geeks (real ones) don't care if AMD or Intel is giving them performance.

I just finished a cheap fast AMD system for someone and they're happy! The problem is the competitive nature of Fanbois wanting to be on top. The last two years seems like a nightmare for some folks. Intel being faster doesn't mean AMD sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    Yup, I know you're right

I've just been laughing and too busy to post lately. Still seeing too much of the same old stuff. Said part for many who are disappointed that Nelly is kicking @$$ is lame. Geeks (real ones) don't care if AMD or Intel is giving them performance.

I just finished a cheap fast AMD system for someone and they're happy! The problem is the competitive nature of Fanbois wanting to be on top. The last two years seems like a nightmare for some folks. Intel being faster doesn't mean AMD sucks
    Exactly.

My current PC at home is an AMD64 3000+ and if Deneb ends up exceeding my performance expectations, may be my next computer purchase, but none of this makes me any more accepting of the madness that many AMD fanbois spew out on a regular basis.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I think people have to just plain grow up and understand that what you buy is your choice and based on many factors including cost.
    Today you can build a pretty decent AMD based machine for very short money and that has to appeal to many people.
    Then the factor of "what your used to"
    Like a comfortable pair of shoes, someone whos owed a particular brand knows before building what to expect.
    Yes, Nehalem does generate more heat than Penryn.
    I have the following and all essentially with the same cooling,(True w/120mm fan) :
    Q6600(65nm kentsfield)@3600: 50C @100% load
    Harpertown(dual socket Penryn)@3600;51C@100% load
    Nehalem i7-965@3733;60C@100% load
    But I know you well enough that if AMD shipped something Kick-@$$ in 7 months, you'd be on it like a hungry Fat man on a Ham LOL! I almost said horny Sailor on a Filipino Port Of Call (Leave/Liberty)
    Last edited by Donnie27; 11-14-2008 at 05:05 PM.
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Exactly.

My current PC at home is an AMD64 3000+ and if Deneb ends up exceeding my performance expectations, may be my next computer purchase, but none of this makes me any more accepting of the madness that many AMD fanbois spew out on a regular basis.
    Me either! I've been the target of many of the AMD Fans. They'll not influence what I buy at all. My wife is still using a 3500+ and fits her needs just fine thank you. It is starting to give the old Fan error with a perfectly need fan on it I'll probably add a cheap 44 or 4600 AMD2 rig to replace it Cost will be the absolute reason why! Make no mistake though, if it were for performance, it will be Intel hands down=P

Oh, I already have an extra 2GB of DDR2.

But If I get a Nelly, she'll get my 8400.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    But I know you well enough that if AMD shipped something Kick-@$$ is 7 months, you'd be on it like a hungry Fat man on a Ham LOL! I almost said horny Sailor on a Filipino Port Of Call (Leave/Liberty)
    Very true. Performance is performance no matter who makes it..
    As to the other, unfortunately at 56 the testosterone levels have dropped and now for the first time the "upper" head rules..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    A Piece of glass and some TIM. That'll let you see through and see if there are highs and lows. Credit goes to the Watercooling forum for that info. That's where I learned it.

Xtreme Guru
    A Piece of glass and some TIM. That'll let you see through and see if there are highs and lows. Credit goes to the Watercooling forum for that info. That's where I learned it.
    Thanks, ill give it a shot, might have to lap it, i suck at lapping tho

Xtreme Addict
    If your hunting for a piece of glass and don't have any around the house, take a picture off the wall (when the wife is NOT at home! ) and take the glass out. Be careful not to bend that kind of glass or you will be in serious trouble when she does get home (it will break easily). Clean it up afterwads and say this when she gets back "Honey, Look what I did...this picture was kinda dusty, so I cleaned it up for you."

Xtreme Addict
    Me either! I've been the target of many of the AMD Fans. They'll not influence what I buy at all. My wife is still using a 3500+ and fits her needs just fine thank you. It is starting to give the old Fan error with a perfectly need fan on it I'll probably add a cheap 44 or 4600 AMD2 rig to replace it Cost will be the absolute reason why! Make no mistake though, if it were for performance, it will be Intel hands down=P

Oh, I already have an extra 2GB of DDR2.

But If I get a Nelly, she'll get my 8400.
    I'm probably going to get an infraction for this, but honestly, who are you talking to? Chad?

You seem to be having a nice little circle session over there, since your flamebaiting hasn't drawn any 'AMD fan' in yet. In fact, I'm amused. I also like how to call Core i7 nelly. How endearing.

I guess, to be on topic: Yay, I'm buying Core i7 next year.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    Well........that's because they will have no performance argument.

Edited: OK, sorry, the devil made me do it. LOL
    I dont think its a fanboy arguement. I want to hit the same clocks i m hitting with my current rig, but If i cant cool it, and have to down clock it, it might not be that attractive an upgrade for me. Depends what people want to use it for, but the temp variance on this chip will be a bigger deal than it was on penryn.
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    I also like how to call Core i7 nelly. How endearing.
    Call AMD's offerings Shangy or Denny then.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by villa1n View Post
    I dont think its a fanboy arguement. I want to hit the same clocks i m hitting with my current rig, but If i cant cool it, and have to down clock it, it might not be that attractive an upgrade for me. Depends what people want to use it for, but the temp variance on this chip will be a bigger deal than it was on penryn.

I was kidding. C'mon man. That's why I said "I'm sorry, the Devil made me do it." Just playing around.

Now it's starting up again, and I wished I hadn't posted that all.

Xtreme Mentor
    I was kidding. C'mon man. That's why I said "I'm sorry, the Devil made me do it." Just playing around.

Now it's starting up again, and I wished I hadn't posted that all.
    No jokes are allowed until AMD has the perfomance crown
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Very true. Performance is performance no matter who makes it..
    As to the other, unfortunately at 56 the testosterone levels have dropped and now for the first time the "upper" head rules..
    Oh boy quoted for absolute truth LOL, I remember being called a trader when I bought and built that old 3500+ rig. Early C2D results stopped me from buy a 3800+ that was still $350.00. Funny thing was that in both cases, I was being a CONSUMER.

Quote Originally Posted by cegras
    I'm probably going to get an infraction for this, but honestly, who are you talking to? Chad?

You seem to be having a nice little circle session over there, since your flamebaiting hasn't drawn any 'AMD fan' in yet. In fact, I'm amused. I also like how to call Core i7 nelly. How endearing.

I guess, to be on topic: Yay, I'm buying Core i7 next year.
    How and what flamebait? Ask Movieman about the Vacation Rammsteiner drew and warnings to duploxx? Is saying AMD isn't as fast flamebaiting?

I was talking to Movieman and Chad BTW. I've posted about 6 times the last two months. Please check if you don't believe me? Being a consumer first means not giving a Crap about green and black or blue and white boxes LOL!
    If I upgrade to Nelly my wife will get my rig's mobo, RAM and Processor. If I build one to save money, she'll get a new cheaper AMD rig. Right now AMD is ahead. Surely you can understand that and nothing circular about it. Even my friend's young 12 year old computer Geek son understands that.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    No jokes are allowed until AMD has the perfomance crown
    Long dark winter ahead. More to follow.
    Last edited by cool_case; 11-13-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    Bench rig: F1 LN2 pot, RE II, i7 EE 965, 4870x2, Corsair 1600MHz cas 8, waiting for LN2 pots for vid.

Xtreme Member
    Hi Everyone ,

I want to buy i920, Asus P6T DLX and OCZ 3*2 OCZ Platinium 1333Mhz ( Because In My Country Only 1 Triple Channel Ram Is Been Sold At The Moment ). So I guess I can reach 20*200 with some good air cooling. But ıf I can set FSB to 200, Ram Mhz goes to 1600Mhz. If i'm not wrong default ram divider of i920 is "8". Some retail photo's of 920 have "6" divider. Does all of retail i920 have a "6" divider and does all of the mobo's support these dividers (Including "6") ? And exactly which dividers does i920 have for memory?
    Last edited by Ziwro; 11-14-2008 at 02:22 AM.
    ||[b] Intel i7 4770K @ Phanteks PH-TC14PE || Asus Maximus VI Hero || 16 GB Gskill TridentX @ 2400MHz || CoolerMaster CosMoS S II || Asus GTX 780 @ AC Accelero Xtreme III[size=1]|| 24" BenQ XL 2410T @ 120HZ || 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || WD Green 1 TB , WD Green 2 TB || OCZ ZX 1000W || @ [size=1]|| Creative SoundBlaster Zx - Logitech Z-2300 || Logitech G19 || Logitech G700s|| [/color] ||

Xtreme Addict
    which dividers?

1:3, 1:4, 1:5, 1:6, 1:7, 1:8 & 1:9 (on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5)

Xtreme Member
    My mistake, i'm saying Memory Multiplier
    ||[b] Intel i7 4770K @ Phanteks PH-TC14PE || Asus Maximus VI Hero || 16 GB Gskill TridentX @ 2400MHz || CoolerMaster CosMoS S II || Asus GTX 780 @ AC Accelero Xtreme III[size=1]|| 24" BenQ XL 2410T @ 120HZ || 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || WD Green 1 TB , WD Green 2 TB || OCZ ZX 1000W || @ [size=1]|| Creative SoundBlaster Zx - Logitech Z-2300 || Logitech G19 || Logitech G700s|| [/color] ||

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Member
    So if i can set memory multiplier to 6, i can easily reach 200 x 20 = 4Ghz ( 200 Bclock x 6 Memory Multiplier = 1200Mhz Mem). In that case my 1333Mhz rams doesnt block my overclocking . Is it right ?

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast