200Mhz BCLK Prime

220Mhz BCLK SuperPi 1M

Validation

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chri$ch View Post
    200Mhz BCLK Prime

220Mhz BCLK SuperPi 1M

Validation
    Very nice. so looks like msi isnt the only one that can hold a really high bclk.

Is that prime shot, with a stock cooler?!
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Addict
    No, its with my EK Supreme... but i have no LGA1366 mounting plate and now is not enough pressure

Xtreme Addict
    No, its with my EK Supreme... but i have no LGA1366 mounting plate and now is not enough pressure
    Those are still reasonable temps for improper mounting
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme Member
    Nice results Chri$ch, thx for sharing

How are you liking that Gigabyte board? Are you adjusting thru windows with EasyTune? or using bios settings?

Xtreme Addict
    Board is nice, first i had some problems but Core i7 is different overclocking than Core 2

I use ET6 to show the voltages, i set all voltages and clocks in bios (i changed only the vcore with ET6)

I am Xtreme
    ah yes this time the GB boards defenitly rock, UD3 pays off.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm looking seriously at the EVGA board. Jakup has a stable 4.3 clock on that board! On air!

Now saying that I probably wouldn't try that for awhile, but these guys are able to get some serious OC's on all of these top boards. These rock. I'm sitting here dying a slow death until the 17th when I will be reborn hard!

I'm getting this. I'm not 100% set on what I'm getting, but I will be by the 17th. I just hope I can get the ram for it.

Xtreme Mentor
    Reaaaally nice. 1,20v 3600MHz stable

I've one question Chri$ch, is there any way to make the CPU lower its voltage at idle when overclocked?

Is it possible with any of the boards out there? The Intel Smackover board has an option in the BIOS that says "Dinamic voltage override" or something like that, I guess it can be used to achieve this goal. Can anybody confirm?
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Addict
    Does BCLK overclocking afflict only the mobo and CPU or does it mess with other components ?

Xtreme Member
    Board is nice, first i had some problems but Core i7 is different overclocking than Core 2

I use ET6 to show the voltages, i set all voltages and clocks in bios (i changed only the vcore with ET6)
    very nice, is there much difference between the ud5 and the extreme apart from the heatsink and waterblock on the extreme ?
    i7 920 Batch "3849B018" ~~ga-ex58-ud5~~6gb ocz blade 2000mhz~swiftech GTZ~~HIS 4870 1gb

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonucci View Post
    Does BCLK overclocking afflict only the mobo and CPU or does it mess with other components ?
    BLCK is the same as AMD's HT clock, or the current 'FSB' clock. Terms, meanings get thrown around everywhere most everyone uses them incorrectly or interchangeably (i.e. mostly incorrectly).

The main components, CPU core, Memory, and Bus derive their final clocks from a base clock regardless of the platform.

AMD
    BCLK = 200 MHz
    CPU Clock = BCLK X multiplier
    Memory = BCLK x mem multiplier/divider
    HT link speed = BCLK x HT multiplier
    NB Clock = BCLK x NB multiplier

Intel FSB
    BCLK = 133, 200, 267, 333 (evolved over time as FSB speeds go up)
    FSB Clock = BCLK x 4
    CPU clock = BCLK x multiplier

Intel with QPI
    BCLK = 133
    QPI clock = BCLK X QPI multiplier
    CPU clock = BCLK x multiplier

PCIe bus, for example, is timed with it's own clock gen, so it is unaffected... but the core components all time themselves from a common system clock, which is what BCLK represents, when you read people write "I hit 215 MHz HT clock" or "I OCed my phenom with a FSB clock speed of 215 MHz" ... the technical meaning is they adjusted BCLK from 200 to 215.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 11-08-2008 at 08:00 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Also, the "uncore" (L3) powered by VTT to mess with and if you don't have the XE chip and have to raise the BCLK too much above 133Mhz to get your best oc, you could run into problems with QPI depending on the board (or so we hear). With XE, you can leave BCLK at 133Mhz and just raise the cpu multi for a maximal cpu oc. Guess that makes oc'ing the 920 and 940 more interesting, or at least requiring more skill.
    Last edited by cool_case; 11-08-2008 at 08:38 PM.
    Bench rig: F1 LN2 pot, RE II, i7 EE 965, 4870x2, Corsair 1600MHz cas 8, waiting for LN2 pots for vid.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_case View Post
    Also, the "uncore" (L3) power by VTT to mess with and if you don't have the XE chip and have to raise the BCLK too much above 133Mhz to get your best oc, you could run into problems with QPI depending on the board (or so we hear). With XE, you can leave BCLK at 133Mhz and just raise the cpu multi for a maximal cpu oc. Guess that makes oc'ing the 920 and 940 more interesting, or at least requiring more skill.
    Indeed, going to the AMD-like point to point interconnect comes with it all the nuance challenges of raising the base clock for locked CPUs.

That is why it is good to see people getting to 200 MHz base clock stable.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post

That is why it is good to see people getting to 200 MHz base clock stable.
    Yes! - and I'm not convinced that the best oc's on the XE will come without raising BCLK above 133Mhz.
    Bench rig: F1 LN2 pot, RE II, i7 EE 965, 4870x2, Corsair 1600MHz cas 8, waiting for LN2 pots for vid.

CPU & Mainboard arrived today, but i have no memory to test it
    Can you not just use any DDR3 dual channel kit?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ol'norton View Post
    Can you not just use any DDR3 dual channel kit?

There's some yes and no to that, but for most it's recomended to stick below 1.65 until you learn the tricks. There is a warning to not exceed the JEDEC Spec of 1.65v without a full understanding of the physics and electrical properties. It could destroy the IMC. Could, and will are different. Obviously going above that spec is OC'ing and is done at the user's own risk.

Do some searches. There is lots of info scattered around about this.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    There's some yes and no to that, but for most it's recomended to stick below 1.65 until you learn the tricks. There is a warning to not exceed the JEDEC Spec of 1.65v without a full understanding of the physics and electrical properties. It could destroy the IMC. Could, and will are different. Obviously going above that spec is OC'ing and is done at the user's own risk.

Thanks, I only intend to run them until the 1866Cas8 Tri channel kits hit the shops here.
    I'd read about keeping the CPU uncore voltage within 0.5V difference of the DRAM voltage.
    I was just confused by Chri$ch saying he had no memory to test it with, when he had a P5Q3 Deluxe a while back.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post

JEDEC spec for ddr3 is 1,575V max. (1,5V +/- 5%)

Xtreme Cruncher
    I just hope for cheap 4GB DDR3 1066 1.5v sticks when Lynnfield coems
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

I am Xtreme
    I need 6x2gb ddr3-1600 cl8 sticks, but none available.

I plan to keep those at least till sandybridge. Maybe then switch to 1.35V DDR3 1600
    Last edited by Hornet331; 11-09-2008 at 05:35 AM.

Xtreme Addict

I am Xtreme
    does ET6 works in windows? (eg. can you adjust the voltages in windows with ET6 realtime?)

if yes, it would be a lot easier to play around and finding the right settings.

Xtreme Addict
    yes it works, you can change all voltages, CPU multiplier etc

I am Xtreme
    nice, saves a lot time.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast