Thread: Asus Rampage Extreme: having fun with MCH, Spi under Air and Cascade coolings

approaching aphelion

Asus Rampage Extreme: having fun with MCH, Spi under Air and Cascade coolings

Well... First of all, nothing about breaking records here.

I've recieved this board at the end of last week. I was amazed by its layout... Then, I've quickly dived into MCHBAR as I'm used to, and, of course, I've played with my favorite benchmark... Spi lol Not to get really fast times but just to assess offset changes.

Please excuse me for disorder... I fact, I didn't really arrange the screenies, and just ramdonly took them for upload. Many of them are showing language machine coding for some memory controller hub registers. I've prefered not to talk about them here but if some of you really want to know (not just to ask "give me the tweaks" without any sort of understanding), I would be happy to reply. Basically, I've played with some offsets of memory sizing register, and others such as tWTR, tRTR, tRTP, RDPA from channel timings registers (those already edited when using memset). I've never used copy-waza or so-called OS tweaks (instead of LSC set to 1... of course).

Click the thumbnail to view full-size image

• 550FSBx6

Code:
    M/B:Asus Rampage Extreme, BIOS 0301
    CPU:Intel Core Extreme E8600 Q822A
    CPU cooling:Intel Radbox
    Memory:G.Skill PC3-10700H F3-14400CL7-1GBHZ 2x1024MB
    VGA:Asus HD3870
    HDD:Western Digital 500GB SATA-II
    Power Supply:Cooler-Master 850W
    Vcore:1.17V to 1.23V(BIOS)
    Vdimm: 2.00V to 2.10V(BIOS)
    Vmch: 1.42V(BIOS)
    CPU VTT: 1.37V

• 550FSBx8

Code:
    CPU cooling:Intel Radbox
    Memory:STT PC3-8500F SST-W1600UA1GP 2x1024MB
    Vcore:1.36V(BIOS)

• 600FSBx10

Code:
    CPU cooling:IxTk's Silver Cascade (R290 / R1150)
    Memory:G.Skill PC3-10700H F3-14400CL7-1GBHZ 2x1024MB & STT PC3-8500F SST-W1600UA1GP 2x1024MB
    Vcore:1.70V to 1.86V(BIOS)

• 610FSBx10

Code:
    Vcore:1.83V to 1.84V(BIOS)

• 615FSBx10

Code:
    Vcore:1.83V(BIOS)
    Vdimm: 2.09V to 2.16V(BIOS)
    CPU VTT: 1.27V

I've to spend more time under cascade. I've modded a BIOS (microcode 067Ah) for Spi 1M and I'm considering giving it a try at decent high clocks. BTW although actual E8600 really rocks, it cold-boots at about -80C which makes each reboot very boring.
    Last edited by before; 04-26-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    Best Regards,
    Xavier

"I prefer to fly alone... when alone, I perform those little coups of audacity which amuse me..." Col. René Fonck (1894-1953), the Ace of Aces.

Xtremely Addicted
    Thanks a lot for sharing the pmem settings

Champion
    Impressive to intend from tried to play with Pmem and finally can see much different of results

Nice results! before

btw. How effect after setting pmem on Spi 1M ?

Thanks for sharing pmem setting
    Sorry For My English
    OverclockZone Team
    THAILAND

I am Xtreme
    I really missed your in-depth tweaking threads, Xavier, this is far more interesting than the thousand-and-one golden E8600's we've seen .
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

approaching aphelion
    Quote Originally Posted by loc.o View Post
    Thanks a lot for sharing the pmem settings
    Thanks for all Bart!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoLKoRn View Post
    Impressive to intend from tried to play with Pmem and finally can see much different of results

Nice results! before

btw. How effect after setting pmem on Spi 1M ?

Thanks for sharing pmem setting
    Thanks mate.

Well, I didn't really try 1M here. Differencies are sometimes too difficult to identified with 1M. BTW, theoretically one must observe faster times with 1M as well.

I'll make some tests using a Spi1M-friendly BIOS ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    I really missed your in-depth tweaking threads, Xavier, this is far more interesting than the thousand-and-one golden E8600's we've seen .
    Thanks buddy. Well, all the golden E8600's threads are also very interesting/entertaining, but what I don't understand is why people link so closely the hardware performance with the bencher. That makes me a bit unconfortable sometimes... Nevermind.
    Best Regards,
    Xavier

"I prefer to fly alone... when alone, I perform those little coups of audacity which amuse me..." Col. René Fonck (1894-1953), the Ace of Aces.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by before
    Well... First of all, nothing about breaking records here. (humm, aiming for WR is a kind of escape ahead, virtually trying to get it showning one's ability... but it obviously can't. Don't get me wrong, I eventually broke records and it was fun, moreover I've much respect for record breakers, but I feel very unconfortable with the utopic idea -and the replies such as 'great skills', etc.- that the more the WRs you achieve, the more you are great; I mean personally or even more precisely, cognitively... Ratiocinated, it doesn't make of piece of sense... or well, okay just one piece lol )
    Good one

Quote Originally Posted by before
    ...Well, all the golden E8600's threads are also very interesting/entertaining, but what I don't understand is why people link so closely the hardware performance with the bencher. That makes me a bit unconfortable sometimes... Nevermind.
    I could absolutely see you wondering indeed, just as I am. But nowadays, that's far more pronounced in 3D benching than in 2D benchmarks... Just look what kind of attention in terms of "great skills" do good 2D result threads attract, and how much more people like raving about Vantage numbers set with those powerful (in terms of computing power as well as money power) triple SLI or quad Crossfire setups.
    away & gone

hi before,your sharing is really great,but i want some confusing about setting of pmem,i've seen setting of pmem,the address for p965 and p45 is FED14030,but why this one choose FED14200,why is FED14030,14xxx or even 13xxx?and if it's x38,is FED14200 still correct?and last,can u advise the way to choose address and the which Variable (OF,OE,09,...) need to change(decrease or increase) to boost performance,so thanks
    Sorry my poor english
    Last edited by taymonxuytuyet; 11-03-2008 at 12:09 AM.

approaching aphelion
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlobber View Post
    Good one

I could absolutely see you wondering indeed, just as I am. But nowadays, that's far more pronounced in 3D benching than in 2D benchmarks... Just look what kind of attention in terms of "great skills" do good 2D result threads attract, and how much more people like raving about Vantage numbers set with those powerful (in terms of computing power as well as money power) triple SLI or quad Crossfire setups.
    Very true indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by taymonxuytuyet View Post
    hi before,your sharing is really great,but i want some confusing about setting of pmem,i've seen setting of pmem,the address for p965 and p45 is FED14030,but why this one choose FED14200,why is FED14030,14xxx or even 13xxx?and if it's x38,is FED14200 still correct?and last,can u advise the way to choose address and the which Variable (OF,OE,09,...) need to change(decrease or increase) to boost performance,so thanks
    Sorry my poor english
    Thanks. Well, MemoryControllerHub registers fall within FED14000h to FED14FFFh (size = 4096). FED14030h is just an offset among tons of others (effect of the sequence from FED14030h to FED14043h on memory bandwidth has been firstly introduced by Jean-Philippe aka "JP" @IxtremTek.com, also registered as "Learn" here @XS), and it remains a bit unclear to what it really stands for. It's strap dependent on P965 but linked with other options on more recent chipset such as P45, X38 or X48. It has to do with the following BIOS options on DFI boards: Enhanced Data transmitting (EDt) and Enhanced Addressing (EA). These are chipset timings; generally speaking, changing offsets here may need more or less vMCH.

About FED14200h, it's the beginning offset for the first DRAM channel timings register. Among this one, one could find all DRAM timings that are also used by Memset (tCL, PL, etc.). Brother register is located at FED14600h and obviously commands the second DRAM channel timings. Generally speaking, changing offsets here may need more or less vDRAM.

Although Memset allows a bit tunning there, other timings can be changed by editing MCHBAR: Read Delay Phase adjust, Write to Read Delay Same Rank, Write to Read Delay Different Rank, Read to Read Delay Same Rank, etc. Those timings may have a positive to very positive impact on bandwidth. Sometimes, tightening some of them may need to increase PL... Basically, they are more or less interdependent.

Then, FED14C50h to FED14C57h is a sequence of the memory sizing register. Hard coding is automatically done accordingly to DRAM to FSB ratio. To my knowledge setting that results in better bandwidth is FF FF FF FF 00 00 FF FF (8bits). It's in fact the default coding that is used for 1:1 ratio. Enhancement depends on overall coding indeed; I eventually tried it on MSI P35D3, and improvement was extremely good... but on Rampage Extreme, improvement isn't that impressive, but still here. vMCH is involved in this job.

Concerning which values to use; well, as you may know coding is done using hexadecimal. Here's the correspondence to decimal:

Code:
    0 0
    1 1
    2 2
    3 3
    4 4
    5 5
    6 6
    7 7
    8 8
    9 9
    A 10
    B 11
    C 12
    D 13
    E 14
    F 15
    So when changing timings, you generally have to think about clocks behind hexadecimal values. Commonly observed logic is the lower the number of clocks, the faster the performance (this is not always true, but you have to see that by yourself)

For instance, here's what I was guessing months ago about FED1403Fh:

Offset: MemoryBaseAddress+03Fh

Bit: 7-4

1xh = high performance; 1 CLK (or 0 CLK)
    2xh = ...
    3xh = ...
    4xh = ...
    5xh = ...
    6xh = low performance; 6 CLK (or 5 CLK)
    ... and above?

Bit: 3-0

x1h = high performance; 1 CLK (or 0 CLK)
    x2h = ...
    x3h = ...
    x4h = ...
    x5h = ...
    x6h = low performance; 6 CLK (or 5 CLK)
    ... and above?
    Last edited by before; 11-03-2008 at 03:55 AM.
    Best Regards,
    Xavier

thanks so much,but FED14C50h is FED141250?because you say C stand for 12.But i still wonder,14000 to 14fff it's very many number and why you know it fall 14200(this case for X48),if it's p45,particular it's P5Q-E,how we choose the suitable number?and according my finding on net,datasheet and mchbar is involt,is it right?so thanks
    Sorry my poor english

ODOC
    awesome work, i can only agree with Massman and co

if u can make a fast 1m run and so on ya congrats

but when u know whats going on when u change specific voltages or values then u know what u are doing

you have my deepest respect,

beg up and keep pushing it

edit: the new g.skills is screaming uh?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hey "before", what kind of block is that on the NB? is it a custom painted one or one you can buy somewhere?

Nevermind.. i was thinking it was the Rampage II Extreme X58.. will that NB Block work for the Rampage II?
    Last edited by jasonelmore; 11-20-2008 at 05:55 AM.
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Xtreme Member
    nice scores, great work m8

Banned
    before, thank you so much for posting this. I always study your posts! I have tried following the thread @ IX but google translator butchers it. Ive just been playing with a RE myself, so this is very helpful! Many thanks to you, and please keep up the great work. If you would like any additional help feel free to tell me what you need. Otherwise if I stumble across something that works, I will post here

Again, keep it up

approaching aphelion
    Sorry guys; I completely forgot this thread and failed to reply... someone asked me about MCHBAR tweaking recentely and this made me remembering that I posted things here.

I guess it's not that outdated cause the E8600 is still the best solution for Spi1M benching.

Well because of the data lost recently, my last 1M results were lost... so here is the best one along with the 1104 BIOS modded for 1M (use it at your own risk...).

Code:
    Code:
    M/B:Asus Rampage Extreme, BIOS 1104
    CPU cooling:'Grosse Bertha' 3-stage cascade
    VGA:Gigabyte
    CPU VOLTAGE: 1.837V
    LOAD LINE CALIBRATION: DISABLE
    CPU PLL VOLTAGE: 1.62V
    FSB TERMINATION VOLTAGE: 1.37V
    CPU GTLVREF 0: +40
    NORTH BRIDGE VOLTAGE: 1.66V
    DRAM VOLTAGE: 2.13V
    NB DDRVREF: +12.5
    DDR3 CHANNEL A VREF: +12.5
    DDR3 CHANNEL B VREF: +12.5
    SOUTH BRIDGE 1.5 VOLTAGE: 1.55V
    SOUTH BRIDGE 1.05 VOLTAGE: 1.07V

Quote Originally Posted by taymonxuytuyet View Post
    thanks so much,but FED14C50h is FED141250?because you say C stand for 12.But i still wonder,14000 to 14fff it's very many number and why you know it fall 14200(this case for X48),if it's p45,particular it's P5Q-E,how we choose the suitable number?and according my finding on net,datasheet and mchbar is involt,is it right?so thanks
    Sorry my poor english
    Well no. FED14C50h is in my humble opinion a bit different, so let me take another example.

FED1403Fh is an address which corresponds to 'possibly' 2 timings. These timings 'could be' CC, FF, 00, or whatever within 0 to F individually. When setting FED1403Fh to CC, we could reasonability think that the 2 timings are each set to 12 clocks.

Addresses like FED1403Fh or FED14C50h aren't chosen randomly but correspond to language machine locations for memory controller hub functioning instructions. Some are available thx to intel datasheets but others have been discovered thx to hours of intensive researches

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    awesome work, i can only agree with Massman and co

if u can make a fast 1m run and so on ya congrats

but when u know whats going on when u change specific voltages or values then u know what u are doing

you have my deepest respect,

beg up and keep pushing it

edit: the new g.skills is screaming uh?
    thx mate...

Well one of those G.skill is pretty good while the second module is just faulty (won't run at rated speed!)... i've contacted several persons at G.skill to try changing it for a new one but 99% of them didn't reply and the only one who replied, eluded the question. I really don't like to make bad comments but well... Nevermind; that's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by vservera View Post
    nice scores, great work m8
    Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by TheKarmakazi View Post
    before, thank you so much for posting this. I always study your posts! I have tried following the thread @ IX but google translator butchers it. Ive just been playing with a RE myself, so this is very helpful! Many thanks to you, and please keep up the great work. If you would like any additional help feel free to tell me what you need. Otherwise if I stumble across something that works, I will post here

Again, keep it up
    Thanks very much buddy
    Last edited by before; 04-26-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Best Regards,
    Xavier

man your results make me wanna get another 775 setup up and running