Page 4 of 222 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Oh My, Look Who Has Pie" Thread

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMMIE View Post
    Just need pie for 5-7 days Dave.Then it's all yours.
    only pie I'll get is in 8 days on Thanksgiving!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Hamster Powered
    It's Time... Look who has PIE now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teampietoday.php111308.png 
Views:	659 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	88981  
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

version 2.0
    yup , it's RAMMIE . comes sneaking in and takes the 3rd biggest slice

Never go full retard
    I don't see the collective on there...what was that smack they were talking?

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    RAMMIE put the "Smackdown" on them.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Never go full retard
    I don't mind being ringside for the smackdown.

JLS
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Jaco View Post
    yup , it's RAMMIE . comes sneaking in and takes the 3rd biggest slice
    It will be the Lime when the last update comes.
    Bringin' it home!

Never go full retard
    The last update was 0's across the board for all WCG on Free-DC.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    That's why I bake my own pie.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGfever View Post
    RAMMIE put the "Smackdown" on them.

Where's the love? We've still got pwnage coming our way. Skinnee will roll over us, but it will be slow and painful. Ummm, I guess that's not really so good from our point of view though.

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    I watch Free-Dc and all but it is not the most accurate for PIE direction. We can have 14k on Stats-n-Stones but only 6k no Bak's site. Just not the best to judge. Anywho to all with the pie. Wish it would update as quick for us.

Got an Xtreme System? Bring it here! <----

I am Xtreme
    I was going to say that. No, really. I just wanted to lull them into a false sense of confidence. Bwahaha!!!

Never go full retard
    Stats and Stones and Free-DC are not on the same update cycle. Stats and Stones takes the last update of the day and applies it to the next day. They update at the sames times, just the 4 updates of the day differ. Stats and Stones is on GMT for updates, where Free-DC appears to be on EST.
    Last edited by skinnee; 11-13-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Never go full retard
    Correction...

Stats and Stones uses UTC, where Free-DC uses CST.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    I've been confused on the whole topic of when and where stats get updated ever since DCStats made the change. I go to WCG to figure out where I'm at.

To Rammie, nice to have you back on our board. I don't pretend to know you, although you have quite a score racked up and I respect that. IIRC, you were a player on xtreme when I joined. You were in the "heavyweight" division then, and I paid attention even when you were a "free" player on the WCG page. Now, you brought your score to our Xtreme "heavyweight" division. I would respectfully hope you keep it there for awhile. You give me something to hope and dream for, and of course, to chase after.....

Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by 123bob; 11-14-2008 at 07:47 AM.
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Hamster Powered
    Look who has PIE...

Name:	teampietoday.php111408.png 
Views:	590 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	89011  
    XSWCG Disclaimer:

JLS
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    I've been confused on the whole topic of when and where stats get updated ever since DCStats made the change. I go to WCG to figure out where I'm at.

To Rammie, nice to have you back on our board. I don't pretend to know you, although you have quite a score racked up and I respect that. IIRC, you were a player on xtreme when I joined. You were in the "heavyweight" division then, and I paid attention even when you were a "free" player on the WCG page. Now, you brought your score to our Xtreme "heavyweight" division. I would respectfully hope you keep it there for awhile. You give me something to hope and dream for, and of course, to chase after.....

Regards,
    Bob
    Bob,as stated above http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...6&postcount=75 I won't be here for the long haul.I have no allegiance to any team.I just crunch because it is the right thing to do in my conscience with the resources I have at my disposal.
    I give freely and hate the competition that DC creates except to motivate others.
    That's why I'm here stealing pie.That slice seems so important that a thread was created about it.I don't care one bit who has a slice,but if it motivates others to increase their contribution we all win.
    I'll be moving on by the time Dave gets his pumpkin and mincemeat on Thanksgiving.

Mike
    Bringin' it home!

Xtreme crazy bastid
    The slice itself and pie in general is of no importance. It's all just supposed to be fun and games, and a way to encourage each other. I've run into folk who take the whole pie thing far more seriously than the science and that saddens me (and I'm ugly when I'm saddened. Really. Goblins run like frightened children. It's unpleasant for all concerned.) but this crew aren't like that. The perspective here is truly grounded in what we are all trying to achieve.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Bob,as stated above http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...6&postcount=75 I won't be here for the long haul.I have no allegiance to any team.I just crunch because it is the right thing to do in my conscience with the resources I have at my disposal.
    I give freely and hate the competition that DC creates except to motivate others.
    That's why I'm here stealing pie.That slice seems so important that a thread was created about it.I don't care one bit who has a slice,but if it motivates others to increase their contribution we all win.
    I'll be moving on by the time Dave gets his pumpkin and mincemeat on Thanksgiving.

Mike
    Mike:
    not to rehash an old subject but part of what motivates some people is the competitions and thats their right to do so.
    We have as many reasons for being here as their are team members.
    Some have been personally touched or had their families touched by these diseases.
    Some just love the high end hardware and find in DC work a good use of that hardware.
    Some just plain love the competitions themselves but to me, whatever the motivation it is a good one.
    There is no bad motivation or one better than another as long as the work is done.
    Just like nationalities, races, colors and religeons, people here are all different and we have to respect their motivations just as we respect our own even if theirs are totally opposite to ours.
    Don't look at the why, look at the how we can bring others into this.
    Spend your energy as I do, to look for ways to get more work done in a shorter timeframe.
    I'll let you in on a little secret:
    Right now I have app $600.00 to my name.
    I had a guy offer me $2000.00 cash for the Nehalem rig last week.
    I made no promises when I got this rig.
    I could do whatever I choose to with it.
    It does app 42 HCC WU per day and that is all that matters to me.
    The points we have fun with but never,never read that as why the team does this work.
    The work is done from a desire to do what we can as individuals so that all of our kids won't have to see parents and loved ones go through the hell of these diseases.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

JLS
    I understand Dave.You are just repeating what I said.I only like the competition as a means to spur others to produce more work.That's why I'm here taking pie.

I only compete with these diseases.
    Bringin' it home!

Xtreme crazy bastid
    As it should be.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    I understand Dave.You are just repeating what I said.I only like the competition as a means to spur others to produce more work.That's why I'm here taking pie.

I only compete with these diseases.
    Amen Brother. For me, it's particularly on cancer.

I also could give a damn about score. In fact, as I post, I have machines on other's account doing their thing.

As to "taking pie", you can only "take" if folks care about what is "taken". We can and will freely give anything that is asked of us.

I have come across VERY few here that truly care about score. Yes, we kid each other all the time about tire tracks, and such. But you know, it's all in fun. "Score" smacks of ego, and we will have none of that here. We are all brothers and sisters in performing this mission.

Having said that, one thing we like to see is Xtreme's total score. We do take pride in that, as it should be....We are few, but we are mighty in our determination to cure some of these diseases.....

Quite frankly, crunching is some MAJOR boring stuff if your machines are really set up to do the job. I couldn't physically do anything else with the number of quads running out here. They exist only to crunch. I do not own a business that requires this much computer power, and I have bought ALL of these machines only to crunch. Most days I only look to see that the work servers are doing their job, because my machines are doing theirs. Watching the leaves fall off my big maple tree is probably more action packed...

I am totally dedicated to doing the science and maximizing my WU production. The truth of the matter is that my "score" usually shows me how efficiently I'm crunching. When HCC had the MAJOR problem with XP 32 bit based clients, I saw this in my score dropping. I looked further only to see the infamous page fault problem causing my WUs to take 8 hours to finish. Not very efficient. I made my case over at WCG and it had NOTHING to do with points. Other team members here did the same. The Clover rigs were crippled with this problem. At first it was "oh, don't worry about it" for an answer. That wasn't good enough because of the efficiency hit. Some folks over there were concerned about points, but if you were to read the Xtreme posts over there, you would see they were about wasting our computer power by taking triple the amount of time to complete WUs. Score had nothing to do with it. I invested in a full farm deployment of Vista 64 bit when I discovered it took care of the page fault issue.

I sense that you've had issues with certain folks here, hopefully I was not one of them. If so, please PM me since I have no clue what it would be. If you choose to stick around with us, you are most welcome to. I would be curious to know you better. Hence my post above.

Regards,
    Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

I am Xtreme
    If I'm going to be completely honest, I would have to say that there is NFW that I would be running 6 computers (22 cores) were it not for the points. Now before you judge me, bear in mind that only 2 of those cores are crunching on my account. But it wasn't always so. I used to have pretty bad OCD and still do sometimes, so once I get into something, I tend to go deep. It's not nearly as deep as some people, but if we're talking about a bell curve, I, as well as many others here, are going to be camped out on one of the tails.

I don't doubt those of you who are running 2 or 3 times as many cores as I am and say you have no interest in the points. I would just say that you are probably not typical. It's not like I've conducted a survey or anything, but that's my impression.

But a lot of people who do it mainly for the points might not want to admit that. It's sort of like giving to a charity so you can get a tax deduction rather than because you actually give a steaming pile about what the charity does. As far as I'm concerned, people's motivations don't matter as long as they end up doing the right thing. That's a position that is bankrupt from a philosophical point of view, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

XSDCMF
    Wait a minute! Are you saying that others of us may also be obsessive-compulsive?!?
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Hamster Powered
    @RAMMIE,

I started this thread not to show who has the biggest epeen but as a light hearted way to motivate and give credit to the people that have put so much into this team and do it day in and day out.

If this motivates someone to Crunch harder (and if they can afford to) then it is a good thing. We all joke with each other and take shots but we all are friends that is why we stay together on this great team. 99% of our members that turn in work daily left their ego at the door long ago. We are friends first, and team members hunting for cures second. I have been crunching as a loner since 2001 doing UD.org. It was not until Dave's PM to me that I decided to join any team and I was reluctant then. But after spending some time reading the threads in this section and getting a feel for the active members I thought this is what it is really about. People coming together with a common goal and having a place to share their passions, hardware, and friendship just makes it all the better.

I will most likely never be on that PIE chart but who cares, I post it to say thanks to all of our heavy hitters that step up to the plate everyday and walk the talk. Every member here is just as important as the heavy hitters. The person with one P4 doing 200 points per day adds to our team total and that is more WU's being done to find the cures. I do appreciate your contribution to this team and enjoy your posts, so when you decide to come visit, or stay, we would be very happy. You walk the talk everyday and it is obvious by your scores which are the proof that you are doing the science and giving of yourself.

So with all of that said, here is our "Morning PIE".

Name:	teampietoday.php111508Morning.png 
Views:	533 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	89042  
    XSWCG Disclaimer:

Page 4 of 222 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast