Thread: +2

+2

After viewing the infamous vid of David Baker where he rewards people that help him by donating computer power by calling them "needy children" i was outraged.
    The cause is good, but i don't take kindly to lack of gratitude or respect.

I'm not in possession of a superclocked 'puter, but i've diverted my two computers to WCG now instead of Rosetta. I also support LHC@home, SETI@home and Milkyway@home on my main 'puter. My second 'puter runs WCG alone.

I'm still in the process of deciding which project to wholly support, so bear with me

Xtreme Cruncher
    googling david baker :P.

Reasons to join us 100% :
    -Seti: you know how serious searching for ALF is
    -lhc@home: those european have already spent billions in something this guy was completely useless
    -milky project: what is that? another ad from got milk ?
    -We are nice and cool
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

version 2.0
    You have to decide for yourself whether it's more important to search for extraterrestial life or to find a cure for cancer , aids or other diseases.

Personally , i'm convinced there's extraterrestial life so why the need to look for it.

I am Xtreme
    At least with WCG, there are plenty of unrelated projects. So if you get one arrogant pooch-bag scientist, you just nix his project. Plus, if one of the researchers ever did do something like that, WCG would probably make him/her put up an apology before you even knew it happened.

I don't think SETI will ever succeed because there's no reason to believe that other civilizations followed the same technological path we did. Even if they did, the radio waves will have traveled so far the signal to noise ratio is probably close to 1.

I like the LHC project, but since that won't be online until the spring at the earliest, there's really nothing to do in the meantime.

Other science projects are important too, but with WCG, you have the chance of making a significant impact on peoples' lives. The most common complaint is that we don't have anything yet to show for the work we've done, but we know that eventually we will. If you're the kind of person who can work on a project without needing immediate gratification, then you're our kind of cruncher.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Welcome to our team. As others have said, WCG is a worthwhile cause for many reasons. The fact that there are sub-projects to choose from is icing on the cake.

Some folks are dedicated to single projects, others run as a kind of "pinch hitter" and pick up WUs from all of them. That probably helps out the system schedulers. I run all HCC since cancer is my biggest enemy to life, but I also checked the box to "receive other work" if HCC WUs are not available.

We check our egos at the door here, and really try to help each other out for our common goal. I think you'll find we help each other out in more ways than just sage advice. That's why I'm part of this team, and proud of it.

Welcome and Regards,
    Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Cruncher
    I cant say much more then Bob has already done but yes we do truly value each member here even though we have the old foks home (Dave/ Movieman) and we tease him a lot but its really all in good fun I think. Were just like a friend when your down and dirty we'll help you up even if were in our Sunday go to church/temple/etc clothes.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by Narmacil View Post
    After viewing the infamous vid of David Baker where he rewards people that help him by donating computer power by calling them "needy children" i was outraged.

I'm not in possession of a superclocked 'puter, but i've diverted my two computers to WCG now instead of Rosetta. I also support LHC@home, SETI@home and Milkyway@home on my main 'puter. My second 'puter runs WCG alone.

I'm still in the process of deciding which project to wholly support, so bear with me
    I'm a veteran of SETI (the original), Rosetta, Find A Drug, UD/Grid.org <shudder>, Folding@Hades and one of the prime generators.
    Seriously, for WCG.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

True, for the LHC project we can be pretty sure there won't be any WU's until spring at least. Even if they get the faulty magnet up and running tomorrow, they won't restart the LHC until spring when the price of electricity comes down to a reasonable level again. But, i keep the LCH project open on my BOINC until then

Milkyway: i like the idea of learning more about our neighborhood

Been a member of SETI@home since 2001, feel a slight obligation to run it still to this day, lol.. Even if twilyth has a more than valid point(both on SETI and LHC!)! The kicker is Astropulse, bundled in with SETI, calculating black holes etc, my kind of shait

Anyways, the main reason i'm crunching is to heat up my computer room and my basement.... (main 'puter is upstairs and laptop is in basement) ....lol
    Nothing like free heat if it can benefit our species in some way it's a win-win situation

Xtreme Cruncher
    welcome to the team!!! nice to have you here!!!!

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Yay for the Distributed Heating project!

I even cranked up my old PIII 1G units over winter for that reason. (it certainly wasn't for the points )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well, you know what they say:

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Narmacil View Post

RSmura sent me a link to that video of Baker and his comment of "needy children" back in early 2006. I remember at the time thinking this guy just doesn't get it but put that aside as the project seemed more important to me.
    It was only later in july-August 2006 that I came to find out the real person that resides in Baker and that person I refuse to "work for or with"
    Welcome back and what you run is your business.
    Let your heart and mind guide you and you'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Slinky View Post
    I cant say much more then Bob has already done but yes we do truly value each member here even though we have the old foks home (Dave/ Movieman) and we tease him a lot but its really all in good fun I think. Were just like a friend when your down and dirty we'll help you up even if were in our Sunday go to church/temple/etc clothes.
    I'll show you what us old folks can do later this afternoon!
    I may not bench often but it doesn't mean I don't know how!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Hamster Powered
    I started in 2001 with SETI and then learned about UD.org. It made a lot more sense to try and help people on this Earth than looking for people on other planets. So I did not join any team I just downloaded the UD software and started Crunching away trying to help make a difference. I was happy Crunching by myself until May of 2007 when this guy named "Movieman" (?) PM'd me asking me if I would like to join a good groups of guys that had a good time Crunching as a team. I told him that I was content to be the loner I had been since 2001 but thank you anyway.

He told me to come on over and check out the WCG section and that if I was interested in joining at anytime just let him know. Well I did check out the section and found some of the nicest people that I have had the pleasure to meet on the net. I joined this team and as long as we keep Dave (Movieman) on his meds , this is a very great place to share ideas and passions for helping make a difference in our little world.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    By the way--did you prescribe more oxycodone for him? I think we need to knock him out before he hurts somebody!

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's