Thread: Maximum Operating Pressure of my compressor

Xtreme Addict

Maximum Operating Pressure of my compressor

I'm looking for the maximum operating pressure of my compressor, which is a Tecumseh AJA2419ZXA. I looked at the data sheets on Tecumseh's site, and I'm not certain. There is a value called Return Gas in these data sheets, and it says 40. I don't know if that means 40PSI is the pressure rating for the suction side.... or if its a meaningless number to me.

Whatever the case, short of calling Tecumseh, help me out if ya can.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

I am Xtreme
    When you exceed the FLA the pressure is too high.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Addict
    So basically, the maximum continuous current is 12.6 amps, and at that load is the maximum operating pressure. Short of testing, how does one figure out what that is if it is not given.
    Regards, Stew.....

I am Xtreme
    I shouldn't have gave such a incomplete answer but a complete one is not possible either so here's a summary.

A hermetic compressor is usually designed under ASME (american society of Mechanal Engineers)and the electracal motor under NEMA (national electracal manufactures association)they have lots of specifactions & test methodlgy listed on the manufactures data. and since it's electrical powered in the USA it must have a tag witch falls under the NEC (National Electric code) (article 440 & 442 for AC & heating) and U.L. (underwriters labortorys) 1995 standard. The NEC section 440 & 442 & UL will exlplain the electrial tag info. Then ASHRAE (american society of heating,,Refrigeration,air conditiong Engineers)& also has rating points for induviual conponates & complete equiptment.. So it depends on who's data sheet your looking at and why. RLA,FLA,FLC,MCC all have specific meanings but may different depending on which agency they came from & what testing standard. So that makes them dependant on that agencys test standard that issued them.And to complicat things some standards have changed over the years.

on a hermetic always use the TAG info on the compressor shell.

You can run simulations using different gases to determine pressure @ specfic points in the cycle.
    Last edited by wdrzal; 11-19-2008 at 12:47 AM.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Member
    "Return gas 40" is usually the temp that the mfr has speced as the Ideal return gas temp.

Xtreme Addict
    So I may need to install a heater on the suction line?
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    No, that is just one thing they use as a metric when engineering and spec'ing a unit.
    WHen you look at the data sheet it is giving you you the design specs of the comp. When it was designed the parameters of the design were
    1900BTUs of rejection with an evap temp of -10 and the return gas was at 40 degrees measured 6 inches from the comp inlet. When the comp is run at a lower evap temp then the return gas will be colder and the BTU rejection rating will change. It is just a set of meterics so that you can get repeatable results should you test the efficiency of the comp. Basically it gives you a base line to compare to.
    Last edited by ultralo1; 11-20-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Mo Better answer.