Thread: DFI: vdroop control enabled + Ce1 = bad?

Xtreme Addict
    There was some time ago a thread about Asus loadline calibration, it infact forcely increase the volts from ilde to load, which some said it can damage cpu.
    Now I am wondering if DFI vdroop control is the same as Loadline calibration or not. Also I would like to make use of Ce1 for power savings purposes. However I noticed when I enable ce1, @ idle my volts arent stable at all every secs it jumps between 1.24-1.256 where as if I disable ce1 it stays sollid 1.359v, and when it is underload it jumps to 1.362( when vdroop control disabled) and 1.347(when vdroop control enabled).
    As for Vdroop control: when I disable it I got idle 1.359 idle and 1.362 ( overvolt with 0.003). And when I enable vdroop control. I will het idle 1.359 and load: 1.347 ( - 0.012v).
    Since this seems to me a similiar voltage fluctation between idle to load same as asus loadline calibration, i thought it might be bad for my 45nm cpu.

I am Xtreme
    yes its the same thing and your not going to hurt your cpu.
    what it does is it gives the motherboard the most voltage to maintain your bios set voltage and reduce droop.
    droop is caused by a specification intel set down for all intel based hardware. droop must happen.
    but they dont stop mobo makers from disabling it, so to speak.
    load line claibration, droop control, or what ever you may wish to call it basically tells the motherboard to use as many volts as it need to maintain, lets say 1.3v.
    then during a droop scenerio, such as 50-100% cpu usable the motherboard would normally not have the power behind it to hold the line, so it droops,
    with load line calibration the motherboard is given the extra juice to maintain the volts under load.

i have never seen nor heard of anyone hurting their hardware by using this feature.
    i have seen claims of instability from it, but i can not say i have experienced it, or if i did, i did not attribute it to calibration being off.

think of it this way.

cpu is set for 1.3v, the motherboard is told, ok only give the cpu 1.3v, ok so thats all it does, under load the motherboard can not hold 1.3v so it droops.
    droop is bad to an extend and any electrician will tell you the same thing.

now with load line calibration enabled the cpu is asking for 1.3v, the motherboard says ok i have 1.3v here ya go, then under load the cpu says "oh god i need 1.3v really bad" so the motherboard says ok here ya go, i have extra volts here to use so you can have you 1.3v and maintain it.

another way to think of it.
    what is one of the biggest features we look for in a power supply? SOLID VOLTAGE RAILS!
    and what happens to psu's that have bad droop ? people dont buy them.
    what happens to psu's that have little to no droop ? people love them and use them and buy them.

there is one guy here who can answer this better than anyone. our very own Hipro, he's a psu wizard and even makes his own. he can tell you all about it. and probably correct me on a few things i said incorrectly.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    thnx for your reply lestat, those are small increasement between load and ilde.

But how about the powersavings feathure that u can use with DFI, is that when u leave the vid control (vcore) on auto, and use the vid special add: to add in % the additional amount over auto, then with CE1( speedstep) , u can not only lower the multiplier but also the vcore to (auto).

So what I measured with a Digital multimeter:
    if I make use of this feathure I will get as follow: Idle: 1.24-1.256 ( very unstable it fluctates all the time, where as normally when u disable ce1 it will be a sollid output). on Load depends if I have enable vdroop control ( loadline calibration), if enbled I am loading with 1.359v and when disabled I am loading @ 1.362.

So to sum this up to make use of the CE1( speedstep) feathur I will have a huge jump in volts between idle and load, so it is a jump in volts:
    +/-: 0.122v between idle and load
    I heared some peeps using this feathure but I am wondering if it is safe because of the (voltage overshoot?)
    Last edited by CERO; 10-28-2008 at 01:17 AM.
    DFI Lanparty LT X48-T2R
    Intel Q6600 L737B242 ~ VID 1.2125 ~ 4000mhZ @ 1.48 vcore {lapped}
    eVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB {stock}
    Crucial Ballistix PC8500 Tracer ~ 1200mhZ 5-5-5-12 @ 2.05v
    Lian Li PC-V1000 {modded}
    Corsair HX 620W
    Creative X-FI ExtremeMusic
    Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
    Thermalright-Ultra120 Xtreme {lapped} ft. Scythe S-Flex SFF21F S-FDB ~ Push & Pull

I am Xtreme
    voltage fluctuation is not dangerous... it can just cause limits to overclocks. You need to decide if you want power saving features or bleeding edge overclocks. I would be inclined to believe there is somewhere in the middle you can find.