Thread: Best coolant to use

Xtreme Mentor

Best coolant to use

Hello,

Sorry, I do understand this must be a FAQ, but I wasn't able to find a thread talking about it through the search engine.

I will be using another water chiller soon (already used some). In the past I've used Glycol (windshield washer), the results weren't bad, but I am wondering if there is something else I should look into, like ethanol or methanol (I might want to avoid methanol because I will use this experimentally and might be often exposed to fumes). Maybe friction alcohol? What I want is good efficiency, not freezing till -40c and maybe try to keep the cost down.

Educate me.

Thanks,
    Mathieu Aucoin

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I've used ethanol and it works like a charm. Here in the US I buy grain alcohol used for mixing drinks, it's 95% ethanol, costs $20 per liter, and doesn't have any nasty smells like acetone or health problems like methanol. It'll stay pumpable till ~-50C after which it starts to gel up. Down past -90C it gets to be like thick motor oil, common waterpumps won't pump it with ease. For -40C I imagine you could use cheap vodka, $15 per handle(1.5 liters).

WCG Cruncher
    denatured alcohol (ethanol + some stuff so you can't drink it) and distilled water. exact mix depends on low temp reached. I start off with 50/50 at see what happens at low temp: too thick - add more denatured, still pumping smooth - add more distilled water. get denatured at lowes or ace hardware or similar place. don't remember the price. throw in a cup of anti-freeze if you have a mixed metal loop.

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Xtreme Mentor
    I am in Canada and wonder where I could get some denatured alcohol. I will look around

Thanks for the tips

Oh BTW, I was wondering... Prestone is used in radiators, which is for cooling, so why is it not efficient to use it? Just wondering.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by skate2snow View Post
    Oh BTW, I was wondering... Prestone is used in radiators, which is for cooling, so why is it not efficient to use it? Just wondering.

Its more for the anti-freeze part and also for a lubricant for the pump.
    Its a little too thick/viscuos for a standard computer water pump.
    Well for a 50/50 type of mix, like in cars.
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

Join XS WCG or \/ !!

Got an Xtreme System? Bring it here! <----

Professional second stage liquid cooling systems uses Frezium60.

As the number states it should got to -60 degree all liquid.
    Try googling on freezium, or try this link:

http://www.zitrec.com/Products.htm

Also some glycol based products can go to -60.

I have only experience with freezium60 up to -40 degrees, so i dont know how it performs at temperature of near -60.

Keep in mind this stuf is pritty corrosive, if you get a system leak you computer is history.
    Lian Li PC-V2100BplusII
    Enermax Galaxy 1000W (one over F noise!!)
    GIGABYTE EX58 Extreme
    Intel Core i7 920 @3Ghz (1.275v)
    Corsair CM3X4096-1600C7DHXIN ver3.1 1.9v(1.7v)@740Mhz
    ATI HD4879X2 GPU@500Mhz Mem@500Mhz
    OCZ Vertex 2 Raid 0
    WD VelociRaptor Riad 0
    Windows 7 64bit OEM
    Cooling:
    1x D-TEK Fuzion 2x Swiftech MCW60
    3x Laing DDC-1PlusT in serial @ 1.3 bar
    Thermochill PA120.3
    1/2" Tubing all quick disconnects
    3x LOOP PARALLEL

Xtreme Addict
    Propylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol provide good freeze protection down to -50.

You could get a barrel of Dow/Standard Ethylene Glycol good to below -60 for about 1400 bucks....... :-p
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

I am Xtreme
    LOL........ The Grain Alcohol we used to buy/drink had "Flammable" written in BIG RED letters across the bottom of the label.

Must be 21 to use......
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sirheck View Post
    Its a little too thick/viscuos for a standard computer water pump.
    Thats why you scrap the computer water pump and get an circulator pump.... You don't have to get them in high GPMs...
    Say...8-10GPM. Those will handle the thicher liquids just fine... In fact, in many cases they are MADE for them.

For example... http://www.lgpc.com/Product/ItemDeta...?ProductID=694
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    Some stuff used in the scientific field
    http://www.dow.com/heattrans/app/chem.htm

Xtreme Addict
    Those are basically glycol solutions. Local HVAC sells 5 Gallon quantities of a 96% propylene glycol solution typically for around 200 bucks, and 70/26/4% solutions for around 150. Each contains 4% inhibitors, and the latter is 26% distilled water. 1 Gallon jugs cost around 30-40.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    Look at the syltherm. It is silicon based.

Xtreme Addict
    True, I didn't browse down that far. I wonder how much it would cost...likely very expensive.... but still much worth the peek. Where would one find syltherm?

Probably not something you'd find just anywhere... That's the problem. With most of these fluids, they don't sell in low quantities because they aren't widely used in low quantities. They aren't interested in selling 1 or 5 gallons. Glycols do because they are widely used in low quantities as well. But something like a silicone based HTF.... I doubt it. The other glycol based products will be easier to find.
    Last edited by Stewie007; 11-15-2008 at 09:20 AM.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    Some are sold in 1L-5L quantities. I will make some phone calls this week and see if I can get you some prices. They are expensive no doubt but it is cheaper than burning down a house. We had one lab this year using EtoH as a HTF for -30C aplications. Tubing busted and the alcohol found a heat source. $20000 worth of damage to the equipment for a fire that lasted less than 3 minutes.

By the way, I am a volunteer firefighter also.

Xtreme Addict
    I quite agree. I never understood why people would want to dance with danger in their own home; potentially putting their families (or other families if its an apartment) in danger. Methanol is used in INDY CARS!!! Has anyone ever seen how frantic they are to get the guy out of the burning car? And sometimes, he can't even tell if he's burning until it makes it quickly through the fireproof suit. That's what you call a VERY hot flame. Even a small chance of unleashing that inside my house............... my god.

That's like watching the news and hearing some guy's trailer was incinerated (along with his family) because he stored gasoline in the closet next to the hot water heater which shorted and caused an explosion. Uh...duh!

"Oops, I sprung a leak...... Oops it squirted into the power supply.... Oops there was a spark.... Oops the........" <<<BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!>>>

Anyways..... hehehe.... If they sell this stuff in small quantities, I sure hope its not too 'spensive. I'd probably go for the propylene glycol, though.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    Thermo Fisher Cryocool
    1 liter $130 +sh
    5 liter $575 +sh

Remains very thin at low temps.

http://www.thermo.com/com/cda/produc...,14685,00.html

Still waiting to here from another manufacturer on a different product

Xtreme Addict
    You see what I mean? 575 for barely over a gallon.... 130 for a little over a quarter of a gallon... For those who have small volume systems that could be justifiable... :-\ But for folks like me.. 575 for the gallon at least that I would need is a bit pricey....

Question is, is 575 too much for Mr. Skate Here.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.dynalene.com/store.asp

Stay away from the MV. Its got a 2 rating on the MSDS for flammability. The one rated for -50C isn't flammable. Some moderate exposure hazards, but not bad. Basically, it won't kill you. They provide all MSDS data for these chemicals. You should ALWAYS look at them before using this stuff.

Need I mention, safety glasses are something I would wear when dealing with any chemicals other than water.
    Last edited by Stewie007; 11-17-2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    I quite agree. I never understood why people would want to dance with danger in their own home; potentially putting their families (or other families if its an apartment) in danger. Methanol is used in INDY CARS!!! Has anyone ever seen how frantic they are to get the guy out of the burning car? And sometimes, he can't even tell if he's burning until it makes it quickly through the fireproof suit. That's what you call a VERY hot flame. Even a small chance of unleashing that inside my house............... my god.

That's like watching the news and hearing some guy's trailer was incinerated (along with his family) because he stored gasoline in the closet next to the hot water heater which shorted and caused an explosion. Uh...duh!

"Oops, I sprung a leak...... Oops it squirted into the power supply.... Oops there was a spark.... Oops the........" <<<BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!>>>

Anyways..... hehehe.... If they sell this stuff in small quantities, I sure hope its not too 'spensive. I'd probably go for the propylene glycol, though.
    you have a verry active imagination.
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Member
    Heard back from the other manufacturer.
    Syltherm XLT = $154/gal

You may be able to find it cheaper with a google search.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony View Post
    you have a verry active imagination.
    Yeah... I do... I exaggerate. Bottom line though, I don't think its wise to use methanol or ethanol in any kind of system that comes into the house. They are extremely volatile.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ultralo1 View Post
    Heard back from the other manufacturer.
    Syltherm XLT = $154/gal

You may be able to find it cheaper with a google search.

I googled it... but couldn't find anything.

Where can you buy Syltherm XLT?
    Regards, Stew.....

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    Yeah... I do... I exaggerate. Bottom line though, I don't think its wise to use methanol or ethanol in any kind of system that comes into the house. They are extremely volatile.
    I suppose if you do smoke around your PC it would be a bad idea.. I've never run into any issues using grain alcohol(95% ethanol) around my PC. I've splattered that stuff all over my boards, had it dripping down my dry ice pots all over my video cards, and never an explosion. Sure, I could see it igniting if there was a spark but if there are sparks in/near your PC then you have other issues. You could always go my route and use flexible steel hoses, flare fittings, and loctite and you won't ever have a leak

Xtreme Addict
    Edit: I don't wanna argue about it.

I simply don't think its a good idea to use flammable substances in such a manner... Not when there are plenty of other non flammable options.
    Last edited by Stewie007; 11-18-2008 at 10:52 AM.
    Regards, Stew.....