Page 86 of 138 FirstFirst ... 36768384858687888996136 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 3432

Thread: Core i7/X58 Overclocking Thread

I am Xtreme
    rem - good job! 24/7 temps under 80 should be fine - max temp is 100 on these.

Memory Addict
    my latest result

System specs
    • Intel Core i7 920 3836A756
    • Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + LGA1366 Bolt Thru kit + 2x 120x38mm Scythe UltraKaze 2000rpm 87cfm fans in push/pull
    • DFI LP UT X58-T3EH8 R.A51 - 01/06 beta bios
    • 128MB Gainward FX5200 PCI
    • 2x1GB Corsair DDR3-2133C9DF Dominator + 1GB G.Skill PC3-12800HZ (3x Samsung HCF0)
    • Ram cooling: 3x 60x25mm Sunon 23.5cfm Maglev fans
    • 80GB Hitachi 7K80 SATAII
    • Pioneer DVD-RW
    • 1KW Corsair HX1000 psu
    • WinXP Pro SP3 full nLite updated hotfixes / Windows 7 beta dual boot

i7 920 3836A756 @4769Mhz at 1.59375v bios

Max screen capture capable @4680Mhz at 1.5875v bios

Super Pi 1M, 32M, Pifast results http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=214761
    ---

I am Xtreme
    eva - wow, highest I have ever seen on air I think - what do you think your temps where?
    Last edited by SteveRo; 01-17-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    Wow - dejanh - nice idle temps! Post back load temps when you have them. I am most interested in 100% load at high vcore - after the systems has come to thermal equilibrium. What warranty does coolit provide on these?
    Well, mixed opinions so far...here's why...

1. Best cooling is achieved when the TECs and the fan are running at 100%. However, the noise of the Panaflo pushing the full 110CFM - 120CFM is unbearable. Reminds me of the one time many years ago when I picked up a Delta Screamer. That f-in thing sounded like a jet lifting off, and this is not much better at 100%. My room is quiet and this rips my ears. However, the temps in Prime Small FFT at 4.2GHz, 1.4V, HT on max out at about 77C - 78C max on the hotter cores (1-2). This however is not an acceptable setting for me for day-to-day use. Some bench yeah, but day-to-day no way I could run this ever, not ever.

2. Keeping (1) in mind I went searching for what is "more acceptable" noise level. Quite frankly, for me that caps out at about 80% (70% preferred) as this is basically silent, or no louder than all of my Antec 900 stock fans combined at medium speed. This however also forces the TECs to run at the same 70% - 80% power (any reason why CoolIt?) and then I am seeing performance only marginally better (considering the cost) than air over extended periods of time (LinX caps out at about 90C, Prime at about 87C, 3DMark06 CPU tests at about 84C) which for extended runs is about 5C-7C better than TRUE. However, key here being that for instance 3DMark06 CPU test would most likely fail eventually under air, where as here it can keep running forever and the temps stay the same and this is all without lowering my ambient temps of 23C. For air I had to lower ambient temps past 4GHz otherwise LinX runs would climb past the 97C mark and I would get into the thermal throttling/shutdown area.

So, I am not sure what to say ATM. Is it worth it $320 CAD? Well, maybe. If you are like me and your average ambients are pretty hot, then it is probably worth it as it has more consistent performance than air. Also, if you do not mind the noise (which I do big time, for me > 80% is not a usable setting), then it is definitely worth it as you will see about 15C - 20C gains it seems compared to air at full loads.

Also, as funny as this will sound, this system will probably be better for the future 32nm chips and you do also get some pretty high quality components with it that could be reused in a decent custom WC system.

A few things to note still is that I did not use AS5 under the block but the stock paste that came splattered on the block. I am also using my modified LGA775 mount instead of the LGA1366 mount until that one gets here. It is possible that changing these two things could make some difference even at lower speeds. Also, the fan is in a "pull" configuration with the radiator here and I will investigate whether it can be changed into a push configuration to see what effect that has on the temps.

I kind of have a feeling that if this thing could be convered to be used with a even just a dual rad somehow you could be getting 50C - 60C temps with it easily. One guy posted a mod over at the Coolit forums where he just introduced an external reservoir in the loop, and changed the flow a bit and that caused his temps to drop significantly.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    my latest result

[

Great job, EVA! I was wondering...previously, you reported 4610Mhz as your highest effort. What did you do to raise it to 4765? To go from 4610 to
    4765 with just a vcore increase seems unlikely. 4765 is LN2 territory, and then only with a top 1% chip.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Question, does raising IOH core hurt anything? stock its 1.1 I put it at 1.120v that ok?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Question, does raising IOH core hurt anything? stock its 1.1 I put it at 1.120v that ok?
    thats your NB voltage, i've had mine till 1.4v, still alive

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post

1. Best cooling is achieved when the TECs and the fan are running at 100%. However, the noise of the Panaflo pushing the full 110CFM - 120CFM is unbearable. Reminds me of the one time many years ago when I picked up a Delta Screamer. That f-in thing sounded like a jet lifting off, and this is not much better at 100%. My room is quiet and this rips my ears. However, the temps in Prime Small FFT at 4.2GHz, 1.4V, HT on max out at about 77C - 78C max on the hotter cores (1-2). This however is not an acceptable setting for me for day-to-day use. Some bench yeah, but day-to-day no way I could run this ever, not ever.

2. Keeping (1) in mind I went searching for what is "more acceptable" noise level. Quite frankly, for me that caps out at about 80% (70% preferred) as this is basically silent, or no louder than all of my Antec 900 stock fans combined at medium speed. This however also forces the TECs to run at the same 70% - 80% power (any reason why CoolIt?) and then I am seeing performance only marginally better (considering the cost) than air over extended periods of time (LinX caps out at about 90C, Prime at about 87C, 3DMark06 CPU tests at about 84C) which for extended runs is about 5C-7C better than TRUE. However, key here being that for instance 3DMark06 CPU test would most likely fail eventually under air, where as here it can keep running forever and the temps stay the same and this is all without lowering my ambient temps of 23C. For air I had to lower ambient temps past 4GHz otherwise LinX runs would climb past the 97C mark and I would get into the thermal throttling/shutdown area.

So, I am not sure what to say ATM. Is it worth it $320 CAD? Well, maybe. If you are like me and your average ambients are pretty hot, then it is probably worth it as it has more consistent performance than air. Also, if you do not mind the noise (which I do big time, for me > 80% is not a usable setting), then it is definitely worth it as you will see about 15C - 20C gains it seems compared to air at full loads.

Also, as funny as this will sound, this system will probably be better for the future 32nm chips and you do also get some pretty high quality components with it that could be reused in a decent custom WC system.

A few things to note still is that I did not use AS5 under the block but the stock paste that came splattered on the block. I am also using my modified LGA775 mount instead of the LGA1366 mount until that one gets here. It is possible that changing these two things could make some difference even at lower speeds. Also, the fan is in a "pull" configuration with the radiator here and I will investigate whether it can be changed into a push configuration to see what effect that has on the temps.

I kind of have a feeling that if this thing could be convered to be used with a even just a dual rad somehow you could be getting 50C - 60C temps with it easily. One guy posted a mod over at the Coolit forums where he just introduced an external reservoir in the loop, and changed the flow a bit and that caused his temps to drop significantly.
    Wow, I had an original Freezone on my Opty 165 and it did a good job. I almost waited for a Freezone Elite to use on my new rig but impatience forced me to build a water cooled set-up.

Given your reports, I'm glad I did. The highest I've ever seen, regardless of clock speeds and voltage during a Linpack test, is 75C. At my 24/7 settings of 4.0Ghz, I usually don't crack 70C. I had a feeling that the small coolant volume in the Freezone units would present a problem and from what you've posted, it looks like I'm right.
    Core i7 920@4.0Ghz(1.26v) - 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 - WD Velociraptor 300GB - Asus P6T Deluxe - 2xEVGA GTX 260 216 Superclocked - Dell 2407WFP - Silverstone DA850 - Coolermaster Stacker 810

Xtreme Addict
    eva - awesome bclk on i920. I am stuck at 215, which I can do at fairly low qpi/vtt. I am trying to get 217 to windows...with high volts I can sometimes get 217 boot, but cant even get screen shot. Any voltages/settings that help other than qpi/vtt or qpi pll?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, I guess my 3836B aint that great. It wont even do 3.4ghz @ 1.125v =(
    Its stable for about 15mins in prime95 blend then BSOD's

Temps maintain 70-73c ... that too hot?
    Last edited by GenTarkin; 01-17-2009 at 12:26 PM.

I am Xtreme

Dejanh - looks like mixed results - ok -and you bring up some good ideas for mods, assuming you are going to keep the cooler you should pursue the mods, some more ideas - perhaps change to a different fan or add a fan is a push/pull. Perhaps consider a better cpu block or add a radiator in front of the coolit. I plan to research this some more, I already have my temps <80 for 1.55vcore when multihour priming. This is down from 90-100 when I was on the nochua. If I could get another 10C off I might be able to get 4.5+ (HT off)? If I can find data to support this - a Boreas will be very tempting!

This is very interesting - look at this - http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.p...tid=18&id=3134
    Last edited by SteveRo; 01-17-2009 at 01:10 PM.

I am Xtreme
    If that is just +1 up - it shouldn't be a problem.
    Also, is 70-73 under full load?
    What is your idle?
    I have been able to run prime for many hours with very high temps (max temp at 97 - below - on air) - I would say 73 is a nice cool temp if that is at full load.
    From what I can see - my own experience and that of others - nehalem does generate a ton of heat but it also seems to tolerate it surprisingly well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i7 at 41ghz 11 hr prime stable.JPG 
Views:	605 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	93097  
    Last edited by SteveRo; 01-17-2009 at 12:46 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
    Wow, I had an original Freezone on my Opty 165 and it did a good job. I almost waited for a Freezone Elite to use on my new rig but impatience forced me to build a water cooled set-up.

Given your reports, I'm glad I did. The highest I've ever seen, regardless of clock speeds and voltage during a Linpack test, is 75C. At my 24/7 settings of 4.0Ghz, I usually don't crack 70C. I had a feeling that the small coolant volume in the Freezone units would present a problem and from what you've posted, it looks like I'm right.
    Yes, maybe small amount coolant volume might be holding it back but what if you put a coolit in front of a 480 radiator in a custom loop?
    Last edited by SteveRo; 01-17-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, I guess my 3836B aint that great. It wont even do 3.4ghz @ 1.125v =(
    Its stable for about 15mins in prime95 blend then BSOD's

Temps maintain 70-73c ... that too hot?
    max temps on these CPU's is 100ºc. You're fine.

Xtreme Member
    Yes, maybe small amount coolant volume might be holding it back but what if you put a coolit in front of a 480 radiator in a custom loop?
    Well now, that may be a different story!
    Core i7 920@4.0Ghz(1.26v) - 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 - WD Velociraptor 300GB - Asus P6T Deluxe - 2xEVGA GTX 260 216 Superclocked - Dell 2407WFP - Silverstone DA850 - Coolermaster Stacker 810

Xtreme Addict
    (snip #2)

I'm interested in the Freezone, as I have high ambient temps (around 23-25°C all year), and i LIKE them so high. I did look into water chilling in the past, but never found an easy and relatively cheap solution.

For one thing, did you change the cpu waterblock?

What about changing the fan with a better one like the scythe ultra kaze? My 3000 has absolutely bearable noise for me ))

SB Rig:
    | CPU: 2600K (L040B313T) | Cooling: H100 with 2x AP29 | Motherboard: Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | Video: MSI gtx570 TF III
    | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB fw009 | HDDs: 2x GP 2TB, 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    | Audio: Cantatis Overture & Denon D7000 headphones | Case: Lian-Li T60 bench table
    | PSU: Seasonic X650 | Display: Samsung 2693HM 25,5"
    | OS: Windows7 Ultimate x64 SP1

+Fanless Music Rig: | E5200 @0.9V

+General surfing PC on sale | E8400 @4Ghz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice when ya have time update us on longer prime95 durations i.e. at least 1hr heh
    depends on week more than A or B in the batch i think
    Here's a hour+ prime run at 1.187 vcore, 4011 Mhz, 75F ambient temp, notice the time stamps on worker threads

Linpack anyone?

3836A977 i7 920
    air cooler Tuniq Tower 120 w/handmade hold down
    gigabyte UD5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice when ya have time update us on longer prime95 durations i.e. at least 1hr heh
    depends on week more than A or B in the batch i think

Here's a hour+ prime run at 1.187 vcore, 4011 Mhz, 75F ambient temp, notice the time stamps on worker threads

Linpack anyone?

3836A977 i7 920
    gigabyte UD5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1hour.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	93102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1187.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	93103  

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roller11 View Post

Linpack anyone?

3836A977 i7 920
    gigabyte UD5
    NICE. Please post complete settings and bios revision!

Edit: I see... 4 threads. Still, NICE! , and I want to see the details. :p
    Last edited by JWMc; 01-17-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Memory Addict

Linpack anyone?

3836A977 i7 920
    gigabyte UD5
    dam that's one nice cpu as well.. week 36 seem to rule

Quote Originally Posted by rge View Post
    eva - awesome bclk on i920. I am stuck at 215, which I can do at fairly low qpi/vtt. I am trying to get 217 to windows...with high volts I can sometimes get 217 boot, but cant even get screen shot. Any voltages/settings that help other than qpi/vtt or qpi pll?
    all info listed at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=214381

Great job, EVA! I was wondering...previously, you reported 4610Mhz as your highest effort. What did you do to raise it to 4765? To go from 4610 to
    4765 with just a vcore increase seems unlikely. 4765 is LN2 territory, and then only with a top 1% chip.
    key was 4610 was bclk limited at 220 but i surpassed that limit to hit 228-230bclk and key was voltages listed at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=214381

eva - wow, highest I have ever seen on air I think - what do you think your temps where?
    thanks, 3rd highest overall on hwbot http://www.hwbot.org/quickSearch.do?hardwareId=CPU_1741 could be highest for air not sure heh
    ---

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well my chip sucks or my PSU is holding me back.... either way my chip isnt doing 3.5ghz stable @ 1.182v in bios (1.156 cpuz) on stock cooler ...
    ugh this is so discouraging =(
    If I give it any more voltage my video card shuts down with its LED displaying error on 12V EXT...so, Im wondering if its my PSU holding me....
    Right now, Im hoping that 3.32ghz will be stable @ 1.15v

Xtreme Member
    Wow, how many amps are these things pulling when overclocked? Also you may be limited by the stock cooler just a bit there so don't be too sad yet!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JWMc View Post
    Wow, how many amps are these things pulling when overclocked? Also you may be limited by the stock cooler just a bit there so don't be too sad yet!
    well load temps on my highest clock of 3.6ghz @ 1.182v was only like 78C ish

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well my chip sucks or my PSU is holding me back.... either way my chip isnt doing 3.5ghz stable @ 1.182v in bios (1.156 cpuz) on stock cooler ...
    ugh this is so discouraging =(
    If I give it any more voltage my video card shuts down with its LED displaying error on 12V EXT...so, Im wondering if its my PSU holding me....
    Right now, Im hoping that 3.32ghz will be stable @ 1.15v
    Yeah. 3836B043 is sucking now! My first impressions of it were good, but upon further testing, I believe it sucks. It wont do 3.8GHz stable at 1.296v, but my 940 will. On the other hand, the 3836B043 will boot into Vista at 4GHz with 1.296v, and the 940 won't!

So far I've tested:

3836B043 (920)
    3836A394 (920)
    3837A728 (920)
    3838A332 (940)

None of them will do 4GHz Stable without at least 1.4V+, but all will do 3.8GHz at <1.35v. I've tested this on eVGA X58 and Asus P6T with 4 different kits of Corsair Dominator 6GB 1600.

I don't know how you guys are getting these things to do 4GHz at low volts like this. I am on a Noctua Air cooler, but my temps are only topping 74 C.

What happens is prime blend just freezes, and 10 seconds later BSOD.

Anyone know if Frys has any good steppings in right now? (Bay area).

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by rabor View Post
    Got an address where I can order one of those (international)?

..& miss Hershlag ROXX!
    It was purchased from NCIX. They share the same warehouse as NCIXUS and DirectCanada. That's all the info I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
    You're going to need more than a stock cooler to keep 4Ghz stable under load. You'll need good H20 to stay 4.0 stable for any length of time under significant load. These chips run hot, I've learned that over the past 10 weeks. Whether you choose to enable HT or not will have a huge impact on your final settings. I'm stable at 1.36v with HT on but, so far, 1.31v is stable with it off and I don't use any programs, and probably never will, that make use of it.
    Actually, I meant around 3.8GHz for 24/7 air settings. My Vendetta 2 should be able to pull it down at least another 10°C, so I'll be in the green. Add at least another 5°C drop because those were Linpack load temps, and I'll likely never see those under 24/7 use.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Page 86 of 138 FirstFirst ... 36768384858687888996136 ... LastLast