Page 46 of 138 FirstFirst ... 36434445464748495696 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 3432

Thread: Core i7/X58 Overclocking Thread

Xtreme Addict
    Who said the Tjmax was 100C?

Xtreme Addict
    Realtemp is reading the MSR containing tjmax value on core i7's, so no more guessing tjmax since the value is software readable, tjmax on that one is 100C, distance to tjmax plus temp in C. 100 on all ones I have seen so far.

On another note, Intel white paper quote on running your cpu up to TCC max temp:
    "With a properly designed and characterized thermal solution, it is anticipated that the TCC would only be activated for very short periods of time when running the most power intensive applications.... An under-designed thermal solution that is not able to prevent excessive activation of the TCC in the anticipated ambient environment may cause a noticeable performance loss, and in some cases may result in a TC that exceeds the specified maximum temperature and may affect the long-term reliability of the processor."
    Last edited by rge; 12-18-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Here's my OC so far. I'm on air. I can't stay stable in Prime at 195FSB so I'm trying to figure out where to go from here to get the last 200MHz so I can hit 4GHz.

Cheers,
    Kompulsive

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."
    - Oscar Wilde

i7 Box - The Blue Lagoon
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz @ 3.8GHz
    ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200RPM
    BenQ E2400HD
    Antec Twelve Hundred
    Xclio Greatpower 850w
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Xtreme Addict
    Personally I'd not want to run in the 90's for long, mine just bsod near a 100C on the stock cooler. But permanent damage if you stay under the TCC, throttling is not even active yet?

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...hts/320834.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Intel
    The Adaptive Thermal Monitor feature provides an enhanced method for controlling the
    processor temperature when the processor silicon exceeds the Thermal Control Circuit
    (TCC) activation temperature. Adaptive Thermal Monitor uses TCC activation to reduce
    processor power via a combination of methods. The first method (Frequency/VID
    control, similar to Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) in previous generation processors) involves
    the processor reducing its operating frequency (via the core ratio multiplier) and input
    voltage (via the VID signals). This combination of lower frequency and VID results in a
    reduction of the processor power consumption. The second method (clock modulation,
    known as Thermal Monitor 1 (TM1) in previous generation processors) reduces power
    consumption by modulating (starting and stopping) the internal processor core clocks.
    The processor intelligently selects the appropriate TCC method to use on a dynamic
    basis. BIOS is not required to select a specific method (as with previous-generation
    processors supporting TM1 or TM2). The temperature at which Adaptive Thermal
    Monitor activates the Thermal Control Circuit is factory calibrated and is not user
    configurable. Snooping and interrupt processing are performed in the normal manner
    while the TCC is active.

When the TCC activation temperature is reached, the processor will initiate TM2 in
    attempt to reduce its temperature. If TM2 is unable to reduce the processor
    temperature then TM1 will be also be activated. TM1 and TM2 will work together (clocks
    will be modulated at the lowest frequency ratio) to reduce power dissipation and
    temperature.

If TM1 and TM2 have both been active for greater than 20 ms and the processor
    temperature has not dropped below the TCC activation point, then the Critical
    Temperature Flag in the IA32_THERM_STATUS MSR will be set. This flag is an indicator
    of a catastrophic thermal solution failure and that the processor cannot reduce its
    temperature. Unless immediate action is taken to resolve the failure, the processor will
    probably reach the Thermtrip temperature (see Section 6.2.3 Thermtrip Signal) within
    a short time. To prevent possible permanent silicon damage, Intel recommends
    removing power from the processor within ½ second of the Critical Temperature Flag
    being set

Regardless of whether or not Adaptive Thermal Monitor is enabled, in the event of a
    catastrophic cooling failure, the processor will automatically shut down when the silicon
    has reached an elevated temperature (refer to the THERMTRIP# definition in
    Table 5-1). THERMTRIP# activation is independent of processor activity. The
    temperature at which THERMTRIP# asserts is not user configurable and is not software
    visible.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    TjMax can be read from each Core i7 processor but when Core Temp 0.99.3 was originally released, I don't know if Intel had released that information yet. If you want to double check you can try using RealTemp 2.83 which I know reads that new information. Don't copy the new .exe into your old directory or it will use your previous TjMax values from your INI file.

From early testing it seems that the Core i7 has more real world temperature head room available. The previous Core 2 Duo based Quads tended to lose Prime stability when well overclocked at about 70C. I've already seen screen shots of Core i7 running Prime stable at 80C and 90C like Pt1t is running in his screen shot above.

If your Core 2 Duo was running Prime stable, temperature was never an issue and it appears for Core i7, it is even less of an issue. By all means, the cooler the better but if Intel didn't think these could run reliably at 100C then they would lower the TjMax and start thermal throttling 10C or 20C sooner to prevent this.

My only concern from the screen shots so far is excessive voltage. We won't know how much is too much until more retail processors start getting used and the "my processor degraded" reports start coming in.

Edit: Thanks to coolaler for showing us what Core i7 thermal throttling looks like.

http://forum.coolaler.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=12

RealTemp will log any thermal throttling episodes and it looks like core0 at 98C and core1 at 100C both hit the throttle. You definitely want to keep it below this level or else your multi will start to cycle down to 12.0 which will kill performance. Core2 and core3 both hit 93C which is still OK. No throttling has occurred on these two cores.

Good news is that it didn't crash.
    Last edited by fornowagain; 12-18-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Flight View Post
    Off the picture of his temps. Go back and read his reply. Yep it's pretty speciffic when he's showing RealTemp at 93C.

Also, the BIOS is default set to 90C. It shuts down at that temp. Again, that's pretty speciffic info that has most definitely been released. It's right in the BIOS.
    Never looked at his temps...couldn't care. I'm asking you a simple question; where are you getting the info on ANY temperature related degradation for Intel i7's? Intel didn't tell you, so who did? Is it an educated guess? If you tell someone that their 93C is causing degradation then you must know when it happens. How do you know it's not 97C?

The bios shut off limit has not a bloody thing to do with degradation Every hear of the term "buffer"?
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Member
    I finally found my 24/7 configuration. Thirteen hours of Prime95 is good enough for me to determine stability. Now to try to see how far this thing can actually go. However, it doesn't like the 20x multiplier and the QPI threshold is holding it back. Come on Asus, let me drop that darn QPI multiplier already!

Core i7 920@4.0Ghz(1.26v) - 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 - WD Velociraptor 300GB - Asus P6T Deluxe - 2xEVGA GTX 260 216 Superclocked - Dell 2407WFP - Silverstone DA850 - Coolermaster Stacker 810

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
    I finally found my 24/7 configuration. Thirteen hours of Prime95 is good enough for me to determine stability. Now to try to see how far this thing can actually go. However, it doesn't like the 20x multiplier and the QPI threshold is holding it back. Come on Asus, let me drop that darn QPI multiplier already!

Lemme get the BIOS settings! Pleaseeeeee?
    Cheers,
    Kompulsive

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."
    - Oscar Wilde

i7 Box - The Blue Lagoon
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz @ 3.8GHz
    ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB 7200RPM
    BenQ E2400HD
    Antec Twelve Hundred
    Xclio Greatpower 850w
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Quote Originally Posted by fornowagain View Post
    Personally I'd not want to run in the 90's for long, mine just bsod near a 100C on the stock cooler. But permanent damage if you stay under the TCC, throttling is not even active yet?

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...hts/320834.pdf
    I totally agree, I don't think we should panic so much about temps. I think staying around 80 after hours on Prime95 is just plain safe. What's bad about it is, the cpu is consuming tons of energy. But come on, it's 20 below the Tjmax. Above 90 is bad, of course, but I don't think it's degrading, at least not for short periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by rge View Post
    Realtemp is reading the MSR containing tjmax value on core i7's, so no more guessing tjmax since the value is software readable, tjmax on that one is 100C, distance to tjmax plus temp in C. 100 on all ones I have seen so far.

On another note, Intel white paper quote on running your cpu up to TCC max temp:
    "With a properly designed and characterized thermal solution, it is anticipated that the TCC would only be activated for very short periods of time when running the most power intensive applications.... An under-designed thermal solution that is not able to prevent excessive activation of the TCC in the anticipated ambient environment may cause a noticeable performance loss, and in some cases may result in a TC that exceeds the specified maximum temperature and may affect the long-term reliability of the processor."
    Great. And it's great Tjmax is read via software now, didnt know it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
    You're on water, right?
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe - Intel Core i7 3960X - 4x8Gb G.Skill DDR3 - Ati Radeon HD6990 - 3x3Tb WD - 2x480Gb Corsair Force 3 Raid0 - Eizo S2431W - 7 Ultimate 64

http://blue.ap.teacup.com/kazukun/img/1229638228.jpg
    i7 965 3837B209 WaterCooled
    Core Speed:4200Mhz
    BCLK:200MHz
    Multiplier:21
    QPI:3600MHz
    QPIV:BIOS1.65V
    Vcore:BIOS1.55V
    LLC:ON
    MEM:KHX16000D3T1K3/3GX
    Vdimm:BIOS1.65V
    Uncore:4000MHz
    DRAMFrequency:2000MHz
    DRAMTiming:9-9-9-27 1T
    HT:ON
    http://blue.ap.teacup.com/kazukun/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0707.JPG 
Views:	1615 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	91081  

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kazukun View Post
    Nice rig you have there.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Addict
    The value that RealTemp reads from Core i7 processors is called IA32_TEMPERATURE_TARGET and here's how Intel defines that:

Temperature Target.
    the minimum temperature at which PROCHOT# will be asserted. The value is degree C.

Intel has said that TJMax is not a fixed value. It varies a little from one CPU to the next but they haven't confirmed how much variation is in that number. It's a number they aim for when calibrating but the actual TJMax may be higher.

My personal theory is that it can also vary from one core to the next in a CPU. That's very obvious in the 45nm Core 2 series but I think it's also true in Core i7. There's a reason why in the vast majority of Core i7 screen shots, core0 is the hottest and core3 is the coolest. If TJMax = 100C for core0 then it's likely to be closer to 105C for the average core3. If this was all just random chance then you wouldn't see the exact same pattern with almost everyone's reported temperatures.

Thermal shut down of Core 2 doesn't happen until about 125C and it's likely that Core i7 is the same. I can't imagine that Intel would set such high numbers for TJMax and thermal shut down if they thought people were going to destroy their processors. They wouldn't offer a 3 year warranty and they'd obviously lower these values if they didn't believe in the high temperature durability of their CPUs.

Xtreme Addict
    Well said... I think these things are a lot more durable than some people give them credit for, i'm sure when penryn launched Anandtech had at least a full page detailing how much more resilient chips are becoming to death (that's even in light of their high VTT warning which is what gave a few people quite a scare, i wish they'd think twice before publishing stuff like that)

With the temps being reported by most people as acceptable and so much higher than any penryns were run at, i'd say i7 is even stronger.

Of course, in a few months if we're all shelling out for new chips i'll need a hand wiping all this egg off me face.
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

PI in the face
    Im happy sub mid 80's 24/7, depending on the voltage I will need to get me there
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooperdale View Post

You're on water, right?
    Yep. I'm a bit lazy and bought a Koolance Exos-2 LX but I did pair it up with a new Apogee GTZ water block. Considering that my CPU is the only thing in the loop, it's working pretty well so far.

Lemme get the BIOS settings! Pleaseeeeee?
    I'll post back when I get off of work.
    Core i7 920@4.0Ghz(1.26v) - 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 - WD Velociraptor 300GB - Asus P6T Deluxe - 2xEVGA GTX 260 216 Superclocked - Dell 2407WFP - Silverstone DA850 - Coolermaster Stacker 810

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    And in all honesty, I feel a bit cheated too on the i7 940. I mean come on, every single i7 920 out there is performing as good if not better than both the i7 940 and the i7 965 XE.

ATM, I feel like I donated $350 to Intel.
    Been there, felt the same way after buying the E6700. E6600 were just as good for about $300 USD less.

I am Xtreme
    god Ci7 is a boinc monster...

I can do ~33% more seti client WUs at the same clock then my QX9650 and still have 4 threads to spare for WCG.

I just love that thing.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by theoryzero View Post
    Been there, felt the same way after buying the E6700. E6600 were just as good for about $300 USD less.
    Hmm yeah, alot of Q9450 / Q9550 would go as high as most QX9650 without extreme cooling, this is nothing new.

Damnit, i think i've toasted my raid 0 array

I have a balloon popup from intel matrix storage console 'a drive in a RAID 0 volume is failing. Try to backup data immediately'.

I've never had this before, is the disk actually unusable now or can i format and remake the volume from scratch and it'll be like new??

What made it happen was running 165bclk with 24x QPI and 24x uncore (i was trying to find max stable of both) which were 3960mhz each. This is pretty ridiculous as from what i know they're supposed to top out at 4ghz, but i never expected them to just fry one of my disks like that.
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

I am Xtreme
    lol you have not fried your disk... you just killed your raid0, happens quite often when you oc.

Thats why i usually use either raid 10 or 5.
    If you use suicide raid (aka raid 0) be prepared to have a backup ready.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by theoryzero View Post
    Yeah well, I guess maybe it was karma for giving up on AMD after 12 years with them All in all, I was too cheap to pay for bragging rights of a 965 XE and I stupidly assumed that same thing which applies in AMD world applied in Intel world so I figured the 920 would be low-binned and a 940 would be high-binned (boy did this backfire). This is a lesson for all times, at least when using Intel. Either go low, or go top of the line just for the bragging rights. It's all the same thing anyway, just packaged differently.

That and I broke one of my cardinal rules...never adopt a new tech in the beginning...but I just could not resist the i7...
    Last edited by dejanh; 12-19-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah i do, this is a gaming pc so i only have music, media, etc. But it's all backed up on a storage disk, along with the installation files for all my programs, so restorations are never hard.

Isn't it weird to happen just from testing 4ghz QPI though? Maybe it was the uncore... This blows because i wanted to start at 4ghz and work my way down until i found my max stable clocks there (based on high multi and lower bclk), i guess i can't do that

I'm on the stock intel raid 0 option anyway, i reckon i'll try to figure out how to use the included hardware raid, J micron i think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    That and I broke one of my cardinal rules...never adopt a new tech in the beginning...but I just could not resist the i7...
    I'd still be on my blackops if it wasn't for the disaster that was ATI Catalyst

:edit: well the deed is done, up and running on the hardware raid, quite a bit simpler actually than the software option. Oh, and it cuts out that 10-15 second period during post when it's detecting stuff / waking up... Jumps straight from splash screen to DMI table now, sweet!

Going to run HDtune i think just to compare.
    Last edited by Xello; 12-19-2008 at 02:25 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by kazukun View Post

very nice work you got the mem up to 2000Mhz! any chance you can list all you voltage settings?
    Last edited by safan80; 12-19-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

My Official Stable 4Ghz Setup

Ok looks like I've finally cracked it for a stable (15mins prime) setup & good temps ..

Here are the settings:

Multi: 200x20
    SpeedStep/Turbo = OFF
    DRAM = 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24
    Uncore = 3208Mhz
    QPI = 7218MT/s
    CPU Volts = 1.4V
    LLC = Enabled
    C-State = On/Auto

Rest is ASUS Default

4Ghz 1600Mhz Prime 8K HT On

4Ghz 1600Mhz Prime 1024K HT On

4Ghz 1600Mhz Cinebench HT On

4Ghz 1600Mhz Prime HT Off

I refitted the Noctua today with horizontal mount (fans blowing up out top of case) + smooth cover of paste over whole CPU + thin invisible layer rubbed into HSF side ... brought my temps down 10-15C at load and sub-30's at Idle as you can see ..

Finally happy with the build !!
    Last edited by speckled10; 12-19-2008 at 09:17 PM.
    Core i7 920 / ASUS P6T Deluxe / 6GB OCZ Gold 1600 CL8 / Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 / ASUS GTX280 / Zalman ZM850-HP / Samsung 500GB 7200RPM / CM HAF 932 / Vista HP 64-bit / ASUS 22" VW224U / 20584 3DMark06 / Cinebench R10 23238

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    very nice work you got the mem up to 2000Mhz! any chance you can list all you voltage settings?
    Bios voltage settings

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	1254 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	91108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	1261 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	91109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	1257 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	91110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	1240 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	91111  

I am Xtreme
    Trying to get 4ghz prime stable with HT off, with lowest vcore and with qpi, cpu pll and dram v all within intel max spec -

Name:	4ghz ht off mem at 666 prime stable 12 hrs-1.jpg 
Views:	1224 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	91115  

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    Trying to get 4ghz prime stable with HT off, with lowest vcore and with qpi, cpu pll and dram v all within intel max spec -
    Nice job...have you tried lowering the multi with higher Bclk for same mhz to see if requires less cpu vcore, just curious as it seems to work with i920 and i940 but have not seen any i965's owners state such yet. My excel sheet of my OC's, big difference at 4.1ghz stock multi of 22 versus dropping the multi to 21 at same mhz, or enabling turbo with 23 multi which is another way to lower vcore. All in bold are 12+hrs prime stable (most had linpack run at same time as prime for first 1-2 hrs to try and crash OC early vs late if unstable)...did not record all failures, just ones lasted few hrs. All are 36 (18) QPI, 18 UC for lower bclk runs, 17 UC for higher bclk runs, 1.28-1.33 QPI/Vtt, and 8 mem divider...but I am using 3x1gb so dont need as high qpi/vtt as those with more mem.

Name:	voltagesOC.jpg 
Views:	1179 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	91134  
    Last edited by rge; 12-20-2008 at 06:06 AM.

Page 46 of 138 FirstFirst ... 36434445464748495696 ... LastLast