Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Core i7/X58 Overclocking Thread

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post
    well, scroll up on the top of the page, and read the title ....
    Xtreme what?
    Do any other boards support the functionality of disabling this 130W throttling, btw wtf is a smacker board

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by davewolfs View Post
    Do any other boards support the functionality of disabling this 130W throttling, btw wtf is a smacker board
    I think so, we did recommand this few months ago.
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post

Written by Andreas G 16 May 2008 12:01

Xtreme Enthusiast
    any pointers or knowledge for ocing on smackover + i920?

dinos22 12k posts !!

Xtreme Addict
    Can you use the same heatsinks from socket 775 on these, or do you have to buy a new one?

NooB MOD
    Nope, the dimensions are different. Unfortunately you need either an adapter or a new sink.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Member
    Aside from the default clock speed and multipliers being different, are there any other differences between the 920 and 940? What kind of OC results are people getting with the 940's?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    Can you use the same heatsinks from socket 775 on these, or do you have to buy a new one?
    The measurements are different between the two, so yeah you'll need a new heatsink unless you want to work with an adaptor.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BiTsCrEaM View Post
    The measurements are different between the two, so yeah you'll need a new heatsink unless you want to work with an adaptor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    Nope, the dimensions are different. Unfortunately you need either an adapter or a new sink.

Thank you.

No problem man.

Xtreme Member
    I believe i read that thermalright and swiftech will both have adapters out for their coolers to fit the i7.

EVGA Enthusiast
    100% air cooling

. ss phase . nf11fx compressor . chilly1 evap . r507 . chilly1 condenser . freezepack controller .
    965xe 4.63ghz || evga x58 classified || 2x evga gtx 295 || 6gb g.skill 1.6ghz cl8 || corsair ssd x64 || tt 1.2kw w/ 12 awg || win7 x64

Anyway to get that voltage a little lower?

Xtreme Member
    What type of memory do i need to get my FSB up to the 200 range.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by jAkUp View Post
    100% air cooling
    Nice!
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by davewolfs View Post
    You can turn it off on the MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, DFI, and Foxconn boards.

x58 board and IC7 965

Hi Guys,

I just got this combo and am trying to overclock it but i am not having any success.
    I read the tread but I am still confused.
    Can anyone walk me through the steps?

So far I enabled overclocking feature intel X58 board and enabled turbo mode and raised to turbo mode multi to 30 for all 4 cores.(Vcore to 1.35).I am just trying overclock the CPU using the multi and leave all of the other settings at default for now.

However in windows the multi is still stuck at 24, even with prime running.

Please help

Xtreme Member
    Drwho? Apperently Intel didn't say something right if you ask Bith tech:

They say:

QPI/DRAM Voltage - 1.35V: This is poorly worded by Asus - it should read uncore or QPI/memory controller voltage so not to confuse it with the actual memory voltage. Increasing this is also necessary as it helps overclock the base frequency as the uncore area overclocks increase in relation to the CPU core overclocks. This voltage is tied to actual DRAM voltage - the two are directly connected on the motherboard. You'll need to increase this to keep the CPU safe.

While Asus and Intel (rightly) scare everyone (read: uneducated) into thinking that 1.65V on the DRAM voltage should be the absolute limit before you reach for the fire-blanket, all that's really needed it to obey this: keep the CPU uncore voltage within 0.5V difference of the DRAM voltage and there's no problem. Over this potential difference and you’ll greatly increase the chance of CPU death, but it certainly won't happen instantly in a big ball of fail fire if you make a mistake.

DRAM Voltage - 1.66V: This is the closest to the 1.65V the Corsair Dominator DIMMs wanted and it's within the 0.5V Uncore difference.

If you are familiar with Intel systems, the best thing to do is treat QPI frequency like you would Front Side Bus and cranking up the QPI also levies another advantage - increased memory frequencies. Because the Core i7 920 uses the basic 4.8GT/s QPI frequency there is no option available here to adjust it, so you don't have to worry about it, however being able to see what its "final frequency" post-overclock would be incredibly useful.

A little extra differential amplitude because Asus claims in the BIOS that it helps with overclocking and perhaps turning off some unused features like Virtualisation is worth it as well, but keeping the pre-fetchers and HyperThreading on will improve performance.

We found that enabling the HPET (High Performance Event Timer), or as Asus label it, APCI 2, is critical for keeping the clocks on Core i7 CPUs accurate. Without it turned on, the multiplier jumps around crazily if we watch CPU-Z, but with it on, the multiplier reading is solid and the clock frequency only jitters very slightly according to fractional variations in the base clock.

Note the most important thing: While Asus and Intel (rightly) scare everyone (read: uneducated) into thinking that 1.65V on the DRAM voltage should be the absolute limit before you reach for the fire-blanket, all that's really needed it to obey this: keep the CPU uncore voltage within 0.5V difference of the DRAM voltage and there's no problem. Over this potential difference and you’ll greatly increase the chance of CPU death, but it certainly won't happen instantly in a big ball of fail fire if you make a mistake.

Is that true? That's the trick Anandtech also mentioned but not shared with us yet at the moment.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    I have a feeling Core i7 is going to be a let down for gamers.
    i really hope not =( this is the reason i have a computer.work ALOT\drive my new 350z\check email briefly\overclock it\GAME!

i need something that is going to oc(not bench) easily\quickly and perform rock solid in games period. i940\new mobo\ram is the mid range winner here so far???

nice results all on the overclocking so far btw!
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    heatkiller(rev3) on 2500k@ 4.5ghz 1.35v,8 gigs 2133 ripjaws 1.5v
    Swiftech Mcp-655,1/2in tygon,13x120 sunnons on junk ps,
    (2)triple 120mm rads,Biostar TP67XE(rev 5.2)
    150 gig velicraptor (stable drive) ssds r still buggy!!
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras, sen hd-595s
    Evga Hydro gtX 590,co0lermaster-1250 watt,
    24" Sony fw-900 black ops at @ 2304x1440 85hz/85fps SOLID
    G@m3r 4 L1Fe!!

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...0VIEW%20ALL--/
    3dmark 11 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1102387

Xtreme Member
    Wanna share with you guys the performance of retail 920 and intel x58 board

i'm using the stock cooling..
    Intel Core i7 870,
    MSI P55 GD65,
    4x 2048mb DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator,
    Sapphire 5870,
    Corsair HX850W,
    2x 640GB WD sata II,
    1x 1TB WD Sata III,

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by railmeat View Post
    i really hope not =( this is the reason i have a computer.work ALOT\drive my new 350z\check email briefly\overclock it\GAME!

i need something that is going to oc(not bench) easily\quickly and perform rock solid in games period. i940\new mobo\ram is the mid range winner here so far???

nice results all on the overclocking so far btw!
    I used to have a 350Z, 600HP twin turbo but i crashed it racing , also had a Twin Turbo 1994 Supra pushing 700+ HP, now i drive a BMW, so slow!!!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by irenic View Post
    Wanna share with you guys the performance of retail 920 and intel x58 board

i'm using the stock cooling..
    Nice to see an Intel board overclock, i like the layout, but still no solid state caps

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Astratuner View Post
    Drwho? Apperently Intel didn't say something right if you ask Bith tech:

They say:

QPI/DRAM Voltage - 1.35V: This is poorly worded by Asus - it should read uncore or QPI/memory controller voltage so not to confuse it with the actual memory voltage. Increasing this is also necessary as it helps overclock the base frequency as the uncore area overclocks increase in relation to the CPU core overclocks. This voltage is tied to actual DRAM voltage - the two are directly connected on the motherboard. You'll need to increase this to keep the CPU safe.

While Asus and Intel (rightly) scare everyone (read: uneducated) into thinking that 1.65V on the DRAM voltage should be the absolute limit before you reach for the fire-blanket, all that's really needed it to obey this: keep the CPU uncore voltage within 0.5V difference of the DRAM voltage and there's no problem. Over this potential difference and you’ll greatly increase the chance of CPU death, but it certainly won't happen instantly in a big ball of fail fire if you make a mistake.

DRAM Voltage - 1.66V: This is the closest to the 1.65V the Corsair Dominator DIMMs wanted and it's within the 0.5V Uncore difference.

If you are familiar with Intel systems, the best thing to do is treat QPI frequency like you would Front Side Bus and cranking up the QPI also levies another advantage - increased memory frequencies. Because the Core i7 920 uses the basic 4.8GT/s QPI frequency there is no option available here to adjust it, so you don't have to worry about it, however being able to see what its "final frequency" post-overclock would be incredibly useful.

A little extra differential amplitude because Asus claims in the BIOS that it helps with overclocking and perhaps turning off some unused features like Virtualisation is worth it as well, but keeping the pre-fetchers and HyperThreading on will improve performance.

We found that enabling the HPET (High Performance Event Timer), or as Asus label it, APCI 2, is critical for keeping the clocks on Core i7 CPUs accurate. Without it turned on, the multiplier jumps around crazily if we watch CPU-Z, but with it on, the multiplier reading is solid and the clock frequency only jitters very slightly according to fractional variations in the base clock.

Note the most important thing: While Asus and Intel (rightly) scare everyone (read: uneducated) into thinking that 1.65V on the DRAM voltage should be the absolute limit before you reach for the fire-blanket, all that's really needed it to obey this: keep the CPU uncore voltage within 0.5V difference of the DRAM voltage and there's no problem. Over this potential difference and you’ll greatly increase the chance of CPU death, but it certainly won't happen instantly in a big ball of fail fire if you make a mistake.

Is that true? That's the trick Anandtech also mentioned but not shared with us yet at the moment.

I am not going to comment on the opinion of every guy around the web ... just understand that many people think they discovered "the wheel" before anybody else.
    We have an awesome product, and you can always find somebody who "think" he find the Jack pot.

i am not a marketing guy, I don't really look at the "wording", I am not native speaker ... it would be funny ... ;-)

Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast