Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 for x86, x64, and IA64 systems

Xtremely Hot Sauce

Windows 7 for x86, x64, and IA64 systems

Released prior this week on the Microsoft Download Center, we have some information about Windows 7. First item is that there will be an x86 version and an x64 version. In addition to this, there will be an IA64 version for Intel Itanium systems. I assume that the IA64 version will be similar to Windows XP for IA64. Anyways--not really THAT newsworthy, but the security updates for each version was released October 22nd and there is a now a document regarding the Windows 7 Logo requirements--but I didn't see a set of minimum specs attached.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/B...5-CD021F777A70

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

I am Xtreme
    Why don't they just drop 32-bit OS already.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Why don't they just drop 32-bit OS already.
    because there are still tons of systems out there that aren't capable of running a 64 bit OS..
    I have a system that crunches thats a Intel server board with essentially 2 yonah laptop chips in it..and they aren't 64 bit capable but they are every bit as good as any modern chip..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Guru
    im down with droping 32bit, BUT alot of people still need it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think it'd be fairly safe to say that anyone buying Windows 7 would have a machine running AT LEAST an Athlon X2, most likely Core2's, all of which are 64-bit capable CPUs. I'm all for dropping 32-bit support.

They should at least make the 64-bit version to be the standard, making you have to get a 32-bit disk (the opposite of how it is with Vista).

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    because there are still tons of systems out there that aren't capable of running a 64 bit OS..
    I have a system that crunches thats a Intel server board with essentially 2 yonah laptop chips in it..and they aren't 64 bit capable but they are every bit as good as any modern chip..
    But are they those Yonahs using Windows Vista or Server 2008 at present ?

Point being, that few that only have x86 chips, have upgraded from XP and can be expected to do so

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They should really drop 32bit. Causes too many headaches.

I read they are really trying to cut back on bloat. I recall reading on a dev blog that they are aiming for under 15 processes

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    im down with droping 32bit, BUT alot of people still need it.
    So they can whine again how slow Windows 7 is on their Pentium III 1,33GHz systems with most probably just 512MB of RAM? Right.
    I say drop the 32bit version...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Addict
    I've seen no reason to switch to Vista yet, and from the rumors so far Win7 isn't looking very promising either.

MS needs some new magic. Rebranding Vista is not gonna make it any better. I'm hoping they step back and spend some time on this and re-think things, and make this a truly new OS. The rumors don't make it sound like they are heading in that direction though.

Xtreme Addict
    Well if you haven't seen any reason yet, those with 4GB of RAM or moe dissagree with ppl like you. Either WinXP 64bit or Vista 64bit. And we all know WinXP 64bit is crap.
    SO what else do we have? Besides on rigs like this you actually gain more than you lose, especially with native 64bit apps but 32bit ones run faster anyway.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Mentor
    Systems not capable of running 64 bit apps should not be running Vista or 7 in the first place. You have XP for them. Down with 32 bit OSes!
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    Systems not capable of running 64 bit apps should not be running Vista or 7 in the first place. You have XP for them. Down with 32 bit OSes!
    Agree! Burn them!
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphiel View Post
    But are they those Yonahs using Windows Vista or Server 2008 at present ?

Point being, that few that only have x86 chips, have upgraded from XP and can be expected to do so
    good point
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    i don't think that MS is releasing win 7 as a minor change of Vista, i think that the hostile attention that Vista drew was enough for them to realize that they wouldn't be able to shove the same old sh|t down peoples throats.
    3570K @ 4.5GHz w/ EK Supreme HF
    ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE
    MSI OC 7970 w/ XSPC razor
    8GB DDR3 1600
    64 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD
    Fractal design Arc Midi w/ internal 3x140 SR1 rad

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_47_boy View Post
    They should really drop 32bit. Causes too many headaches.

I read they are really trying to cut back on bloat. I recall reading on a dev blog that they are aiming for under 15 processes
    I am sure this means that they will integrate the smallest processes to one process/service. E.g. networking process handling all kinds of stuff. ethernet, wireless, remote computers, printing and fileservices.

If they wanted to cut bloat, why wouldn't they break backwards compatibility for pre-2k3 devices, with few critical exeptions? I am sure that if I have a 720k floppy disk drive, successor of Windows 7 will be able to use it. I am sure that if I have a motherboard with ISA slot, and plug a soundcard from 1995, Windows 7 will have available drivers for it and it will work flawlessly.

Like, is there anyone out there having ISA slots in desktop computers since 2000? Floppy drives might be useful even today, but what about in 2015 or so? Sure they will support them! Just as they will support PATA devices in 2015 etc.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoboclese View Post
    i don't think that MS is releasing win 7 as a minor change of Vista, i think that the hostile attention that Vista drew was enough for them to realize that they wouldn't be able to shove the same old sh|t down peoples throats.
    The hostility against Vista was mostly a result of Microsoft's policy, namely that they let a given OS to run 6 years straight without serious competition, especially on businesses. Since only them can create competition to their own OS they created a monster that even them couldn't take down and its name was windows XP.

In fact Vista are far less bloated relative to how XP were when they were first out. Since half a decade came to pass -and that's half a century in the tech world- people forgot how disgruntled were by XP as well and how people were preferring 2000 or even 98 for well over a year after XP's release. It seems like Microsoft learned from their mistake and they won't let Vista -or 7 for that matter- to become the reigning OS and they're retreating to their (far more) frequent release cycle. I mean if you take -one for one- Vista's supposed problems all had to do with the paradigm of software having been nested to the Windows XP way of doing things for far too long. The OS itself was far more modern and better all around than XP.

If 7 would be more easily accepted than Vista would be only because Windows XP are already showing their age (DX9, crap x64 support, no SSD support, no multi-touch support and many more things that would be essential in the near future) and people won't like the idea to finally accept that Vista was a move to the right direction (which had to come sooner)....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    I agree, you can't convince me that we still need a 32-bit version of Windows in 2010, that would be absurd. There still are some things, like WiFi adapters, where there is only a 32-bit driver available, if they simply did away with the 32-bit version then those developers will have to make a 64-bit version.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevethegreat View Post
    In fact Vista are far less bloated relative to how XP were when they were first out.
    Now that's a bold statement. Care to prove it with some facts like number of services running by default or amount of memory used while idle by both early XP and Vista? You can count Vista with prefetch off, this would obviously prevent it from showing it's great lead in terms of lightweight computing.
    Since half a decade came to pass -and that's half a century in the tech world- people forgot how disgruntled were by XP as well and how people were preferring 2000 or even 98 for well over a year after XP's release.
    That's true, XP is arguably an improvement over 2000.
    Just like Vista over XP.
    Windows XP are already showing their age (DX9, crap x64 support, no SSD support, no multi-touch support and many more things that would be essential in the near future)
    Just LOL.
    DX10 being Vista only is a marketing decision and has nothing to XP getting old.
    x64 mechanisms changed very slightly.
    XP works better with SSDs than Vista does.
    Where are the touchscreens that you find so essential? I haven't seen any out of MS commercials.

Xtreme Member
    I have used XP64 for several years now - since it was beta - its great. the only critisism i have seen of xp64 is the lack of driver support for various bits of hardware. it would be a shame to stop innovation because we wanted to retain compatibility with our antique hardware.

its also a pity that microsoft cant make its mind up on driver models - although it seems that 7 is going to be able to use the same or similar drivers to vista saving us some pain on the upgrade.

i suppose we also need to remember the cost to vendors to create bespoke drivers for hardware on x64 when thier sales to that segment are very small. perhaps if it were easier to port the drivers to x64 this wouyld be less of an issue in the future.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    True, but they are crunchers, they dont need a os that has any new features, they just require one that is compatible with boinc and if possible not overly bloated.

Besides, at some point ms does have to make a cut for old stuff if they ever want to be able to shrink down a new windows and make it faster.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    DX10 being Vista only is a marketing decision and has nothing to XP getting old.<-- Wrong
    XP works better with SSDs than Vista does. <-- Wrong

The new VDDM was needed to actually make DirectX progressing aswell as lowering the API execution overhead, increase the amount of objects and such. And oh..not least...remove the drivers ability to BSOD the system. All those things is simply not possible in XP due to the driver model there.

SSDs...no...blame jmicron. Intel already showed how to make SSDs for Vista.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post

The new VDDM was needed to actually make DirectX progressing aswell as lowering the API execution overhead, increase the amount of objects and such. And oh..not least...remove the drivers ability to BSOD the system. All those things is simply not possible in XP due to the driver model there.

In other words, if you want DX10 on XP, you will have to turn XP into Vista and then you can just as well buy Vista.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Now that's a bold statement. Care to prove it with some facts like number of services running by default or amount of memory used while idle by both early XP and Vista? You can count Vista with prefetch off, this would obviously prevent it from showing it's great lead in terms of lightweight computing.
    To be fair, I wrote "for its time". Bloatware is relative to the hardware available around at the moment of release. There was a time that even DOS was considered bloated and in some sense it was. Modern systems are unbelievably less efficient than they could be but that's to be expected with the added complexity (and the lack of real competition). With the prices of memories today and how easily you can install 3 gigs of RAM in your PC these days, I find Vista to be *relatively* less bloated than Win XP (at which time getting 256MB worth of ram was a pain in the ass and less people would afford it than those that can afford 3gigs nowadays)...

Xtreme Addict

My bad, thanks for correction.

No, I blame Microsoft. There are several tests w/out JMicron that show Vista to be a few percent slower than XP (like Buckeye's) and I haven't seen anything different.

Xtreme Member
    Bottom line with 32-bit... people will buy it. Why wouldn't you want the demographic?
    No rig right now.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast